Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought my 2001 Rav4 used from a Toyota dealer in Miami 6 years ago. The alarm system was going off when I entered the car, so I brought it back and they disabled it (I believe - a friend had to bring it due to work). Fast forward many years and the car is still going strong. However, now it would be really quite handy to have keyless entry. I went ahead and bought fobs for it on ebay just to see. Using their instructions, I got zero response from the central locking system.

I'm left wondering if the alarm system was re-enabled, if the remote keyless entry would function. Also searching here and reading about all the alarm woes, would it even be worth it? The car is, how shall I say, not the most current nor desirable (as much as I find it to be the most reliable car EVER). Living in Chicago for a few years and parking on the street, it's gotten quite banged up amd scratched too. I'm not concerned about it being stolen.

I'd appreciate fellow Rav4 owner's thoughts!
Cheers

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
You are confusing remote keyless entry with an alarm system. Not all 2001 RAV4's came with keyless entry--it was not standard equipment then. Do you know if the alarm system was Toyota OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are confusing remote keyless entry with an alarm system. Not all 2001 RAV4's came with keyless entry--it was not standard equipment then. Do you know if the alarm system was Toyota OEM or aftermarket?
Thanks for the clarification. All I know about the alarm is that it has a LED indicator / button on the dash panel to the left of the steering wheel. An aftermarket amp was installed under the driver's seat, so it wouldn't surprise me if the alarm is also aftermarket.

How would I determine if the car came with keyless entry? It has everything in the L package, leather seats, moonroof, rear tinted glass, flared wheel wells, etc...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
An “L” package included power door locks, heated door mirrors, six-speaker CD/cassette audio system, foglamps, and a hard cover for the outside-mounted spare tire. Leather upholstery was available separately

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Does the LED indicator have TOYOTA printed on it? That would be the factory system. I think the L package would have keyless entry. To find out for sure, try this remote programming procedure. When you get to step 9, if the power locks cycle, then you DO have keyless remote:

Programming Toyota Keyless Remote Transmitters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts