Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I go about to get the Album Art embedded in the WMA/MP3 files to show on the screen? It just shows a nonfigurative placeholder square instead of the art it should. I have got the R4H Entune system without CD and the music files are on a USB.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
"Mp3tag" is a free tool that manages all tags and embedded art. Keeping a full set of tags is also important for the browsing functions.
If you're ripping CDs and want a full set of tags and art included, dBpoweramp isn't free but it does have a free trial. It automates all tags and art on most CDs

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No go then, art is there but doesn't show. Works fine from my old Ipod but not from the USB, the Entune probably lacking computer capabilities to do it by itself.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Artwork in WMA may not be supported, but it certainly is in MP3. Gracenote is also used but will also be dependent on file names and tags.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well it seems I get to live with this not showing art problem, did some test rips both from FLAC and original CDs to MP3 (normal and extreme setting) with dBpoweramp, MP3tag tells me the art is there in 450x450pixel jpegs but my Entune just will not show them.
Soundwise I even did a wave test but Entune does not like the original CD sound format, it states; no music files found just like it does with FLAC and MP4.
Had not noticed earlier that my new from CD rips did not have art so I'm on it now and will note my progress here...
Inserted new tags including art on my CD rips with MP3tag and: no change, did not work, so I give up.
I do get sound anyhow.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've used album art before on other devices and i've had the best luck using the least-common-denominator of
image resolutions.
the minimum with best results i've had is 200x200 pixels.
i'll try later this week with an image manipulation program and let you know the results.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dBpoweramp has the ability to convert, in it's smallest setting, to 250by250pixels so I did try that on some MP3 files, rather tedious, one tune at the time. Art did not show in Entune though. Feels like it's not worth the effort to minimalize further in a third part drawing program, to much work on hundreds of tunes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same for Bluetooth. Best I can tell, Entune does not show album art from your files. It has an onboard database of album art that it uses, which is a hit or miss deal, and when it misses it shows some generic thing. That's my assessment, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm really ignorant on this subject, however, back in the spring I decided to play with putting some music on a USB drive since the 2016 Limited does not have a CD player. I managed to rip a few songs and one album to a flash drive that was lying in my desk. Took it out to the car and it actually worked (with the album art) so I ordered one of those new 32GB mini drives (real short in length) and ripped all of our cds to the new drive.

We only had about 30 cds but it still took a while and a few of the older albums had no album art but all seem to work OK. We don't use it a lot but it's there if we want it. Took me a couple of weeks to get it all done one album at a time. Probably a quicker way but I just stayed with it fearing a screw up.

I used the Windows Media Player ( that came with Windows 7) to rip the media into MP3 files. The art was taken care of automatically but I don't know how. In fact I had never heard the term "ripped" before in that context.

I kind of remember watching a YouTube video done by a Lincoln salesman to show his customers how to transfer from CDs to USB drives for use in their new cars.

Wish I could be more helpful...

·
Registered
15 Posts
JohnSTL: could you look at the resolution of the cover / album art that worked?
Please include the following:
Image format. (jpg? jpeg? gif?)
Image resolution. (240x240? 300x300?)
Did some looking online and on my computer. Found out the following:
I am using Windows Media Player 12
* Apparently WMP goes out on web and finds the artwork (if there is any) during the ripping process. I ripped one album at a time.
* The album art is placed into the album folder by WMP and the files are hidden and marked as system files so to see them you must go into folder options and check the respective boxes. Be especially careful about unhiding system files.
* By going to an album folder under Music I saw 3 album related files along with the .mp3's.
* The album files are .jpeg's and I've attached a folder view of them with notations at the bottom.

I added a photo of the Entune Screen playing an MP3 with the Album Art, sorry for the poor quality. The title CRUZERMUSIC is what i renamed the drive volume to and also shows up in the audio source menu.

This is about all I know and when time comes to ad any I'll need a drink to figure it out again! I hope this will help some.

Here are the links for YouTube that I basically went by both done by the same guy:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I wrote earlier, the only time I've got art is when I use my old Ipod Nano3. But on both tries it has rendered a white screen problem (the Nano not the R4H screen) as in showing nothing but white, had to google it and found White Screen of Death. Remedy was cooling it in the refridgerator a couple of minutes, a theory was overheating, interestingly that has not occured during the 7 or 8 years I've had it, in various settings. Probably the R4H has a tad high current output, so I will not use my Nano there anymore. It (the IpodNano3) has the files in Apple Lossless so I'm back to lossy WMA again sadly.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
WMP is absolutely the least reliable tool for doing any of this. The artwork must be embedded into the file, not included as a separate file.

Don't waste time fiddling with image sizes, its irrelevant. Most of mine are 500x500, some are 1000x1000, and they all display just fine.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I found an 8GB flash drive from a software conference I went to a couple years ago.
Loaded up all sorts of different mp3 files some with and some without album covers.
The files with album covers all displayed correctly.
I cannot replicate the problem.
I checked the software of Entune and it is the latest version. (i attempted software upgrade)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good for You, I'm still trying...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
send me a couple mp3s with the album art that doesn't display,
I'll try it on my entune system with a usb drive.
Thank You but as I did state it is all MP3s both those I have made with dBoweramp and those made with windows media.
I have noticed that some say on the net that there would be a setting in entune where you can switch album art on and off but so far I have not found that in my version of the software.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to the lokal (Västerås in Sweden) Toyota dealer, (who sold it to me), explained and showed the problem to three different personnel that did not understand (nor seemed to care much) and after testing on the two new R4H they had in their showroom decided that the Entune7"noCD can not show Album Art from USB with MP3 files...
They could not explain why the display has a place with the text Album Art either...
http://biliatoyota.se/kontakt/vasteras/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts