Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another great review by Alex, nicely done. Now I kind of wish I waited and got the hybrid. Oh well, maybe when my lease is up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I test drove the Hybrid yesterday. On my drive loop of highway and city I managed an average of 7.5l per 100km(@32MPG) according to the computer. Not bad for a brand new vehicle. Not a fan of the CVT while accelerating hard but the Hybrid is quicker. While driving it's very quiet especially at stops when the engine turns off. In EV mode I was disappointed at how early the engine starts.

Reactions: MTL_Sienna

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Interesting and thorough, and apparently objective review. Given his evaluation, if I were in the market for another RAV I might opt for the hybrid, but would want to test it thoroughly myself before buying.

Actually I will be more interested in the Hyundai Santa Cruz with the 190 HP turbodiesel if it goes into production, with projected highway fuel mileage (MPG) to be n the high 30s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm really racking up the miles in 2 months since purchase (almost 6k). I do a lot of highway driving to and from work, and I drive close to 80 mph...So my fuel economy could be a bit better if I drove slower. Driving locally I'm getting mid-thirties+ mpg. I do like that I'm not burning fuel/polluting when stopped at lights & traffic.

Some reviewers made a fuss over the transmission sound when accelerating, but it's really not a big deal. It's actually a quiet and comfortable highway cruiser (compared to other similar vehicles). Florida is mostly flat with straight-ish roads, no ice or snow to deal with. I'm sure the i-AWD will coming handy during the wet season during heavy downpours.

The new improved styling really made a difference to me as well. Much improved all around.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Anyone who thinks the Rav4 HV is loud when accelerating needs to get into a Prius and hear that racket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a RAV4 hybrid prius yesterday. We owned a gen3 prius and loved how trouble-free it was for 5 long years, so when we are in the market for an SUV again this RAV4 hybrid is on the top of the list. The videos re-affirm everything that we liked about the hybrid and Toyota, and can live with the minor quirks that comes with it.

Alex on Auto is the best car reviewer on youtube you can find, the rest usually are unprepared and unprofessional. Thanks Alex.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here is a fairly interesting review on the Rav4 hybrid released last Friday, February 26th .
2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Review and Road Test - DETAILED in 4K UHD! - YouTube

Alex's review on the regular 2016 Rav4(earlier release) also refers to the hybrid a few times.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Review and Road Test - DETAILED in 4K UHD - YouTube
Wow, this guy is by far the best car reviewer I've ever seen on YouTube. And better than all the TV shows too.

Interesting that he said the RAV4 Hybrid gets 7.5 s in their 0-60 test, and that it was 1.5 s faster than the gas model. IIRC there was another review that had it at 7.8 s so I guess that < 8 s speed wasn't a fluke. (I think Toyota has it at 8.1 s.)

In his RAV4 review before the Hybrid review, he said the Hybrid would be 1 s. But then he tested it. And now he says it's 1.5 faster. The regular gas RAV4 gets 8.9 s.

I bought a RAV4 hybrid prius yesterday.
Eh? Congrats on your new Pri.... errr.... RAV4 Hybrid!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Interesting that he said the RAV4 Hybrid gets 7.5 s in their 0-60 test, and that it was 1.5 s faster than the gas model. IIRC there was another review that had it at 7.8 s so I guess that < 8 s speed wasn't a fluke. (I think Toyota has it at 8.1 s.)
Real world acceleration might depend on the state of charge of the traction battery. The system is designed to use battery capacity when available, but avoid using it when its not. Do a few hard accelerations and watch the battery gauge drop like a rock. Each successive romp will be slower.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Real world acceleration might depend on the state of charge of the traction battery. The system is designed to use battery capacity when available, but avoid using it when its not. Do a few hard accelerations and watch the battery gauge drop like a rock. Each successive romp will be slower.

That was one of the facts which was omitted from the review, and it applies to hybrids in general. In our area multiple hard acceleration capability also often are needed on our twisty mountain roads, with frequent speed changes. But most owners would need acceleration capability only occasionally, as on an uphill freeway acceleration ramp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what happened to me too. After the first drive, thought it was too expensive. After the second one, wanted it more and got it anyway. That's how tempting this car is! :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
This lovely forum made me settle for one without even going for a test drive. I would have hesitated with Alex' B ratings almost across the board except for acceleration and fuel economy (we have ours on ECO all the time) but then again, I am not buying a Macan or Cayenne and don't want the additional ownership costs associated with them especially if we tend to keep our cars over their useful lives or until repairs or maintenance become too expensive and time consuming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We went to car max months ago and looked at all SUV types and various prii? (Multiple priuses?) I really want Outlander PHEV but it has been delayed many times and isn't coming to the States until midsummer with low availability mainly on the coasts.

We viewed many reviews, test drove "our" Rav4 and left the dealership. Went and ate dinner and called to come back and place a deposit.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
For me it's going to be the fun factor, if the 0-60 time is accurate, this should be somewhat fun…we'll see. I am guessing it should pull pretty good coming out of a rolling corner, as the electric motor will be activated giving the feeling of low end torque. Keep in mind I am not saying this thing will even come close to the torque feeling and driving dynamics of my German built go kart :)

I had a VW Golf TDI Manual and sold it about 6 weeks before the scandal hit, getting top dollar here in Oregon. I am a telecommuter now and we didn't need 2 cars, so I sold the one with the most equity…got lucky on that one ay? Man I miss that car, it was a blast to drive.

We traded our 06' Rav4 V6 in on the VW with 125K on it, it was a great all around vehicle. In Arizona we both drove mostly highway so it didn't make sense to go hybrid, in fact even in Oregon I am averaging 28 MPG in our V6 Camry SE with summer tires and 25 MPG with the Michelin X-Ice tires.

Still intrigued and have to go try it though, we need to get back into an SUV to enjoy all that Oregon has to offer, big plans to be outside this summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts