Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a used 2006 Rav4 limited 4 cyl. with 108k miles on it. It's been an ok car for now. Since I've gotten it, in June, it seems that every 2-3 weeks, the TPMS comes on and sure enough, all 4 tires are between 7-9lbs low. I have no idea why. About 2 weeks ago, I put 2 new tires on the front when I got a flat that couldn't be repaired and will put the other 2 on in about 2 weeks. (Couldn't afford all 4 at the time. ) Even after putting 2 new tires on, all 4 still go 7-9lbs low. So, what the heck is going on? I have never had this happen with any car I've owned. (Just an FYI, when I got the flat and put the spare on, the rim was not identical to the others on the car but that tire was still at 32 regardless. ) It seems to be just the tires I'm using. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
So, I bought a used 2006 Rav4 limited 4 cyl. with 108k miles on it. It's been an ok car for now. Since I've gotten it, in June, it seems that every 2-3 weeks, the TPMS comes on and sure enough, all 4 tires are between 7-9lbs low. I have no idea why. About 2 weeks ago, I put 2 new tires on the front when I got a flat that couldn't be repaired and will put the other 2 on in about 2 weeks. (Couldn't afford all 4 at the time. ) Even after putting 2 new tires on, all 4 still go 7-9lbs low. So, what the heck is going on? I have never had this happen with any car I've owned. (Just an FYI, when I got the flat and put the spare on, the rim was not identical to the others on the car but that tire was still at 32 regardless. ) It seems to be just the tires I'm using. Any ideas? Thanks!
If your 2 new tires are losing air, then it's probably not the tires. Something's wrong with either the rims or the tire valves. Do you know if you got new valves with the new tires? A tire shop should be able to check for leaks, even something as simple as immersing them in water and look for bubbles!

·
Super Moderator
10,920 Posts
Something else that you need to be aware of.......
The 2006-2008 2.4l four cylinder engines are known oil guzzlers so check your oil VERY often and have some on hand to top it off. Toyota rebuilt those engines if it failed an oil consumption test. I hope yours is one of those.

I agree with ravenuer, take it back to the tire installer. That is not normal to lose that much air in such a short time. Pressures will drop as the temperature drops but it wouldn't cause that much loss.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Snakelady, if all 4 tires are losing air the problem is the tire not sealing to the wheel. You need to take it to a shop that will take all the tires off the rim and apply rim bead sealer to the inside of the tire and rim. This will seal the contact between the tire and wheel. I had one tire before that was losing air constantly but there was no puncture. The shop owner Mike knew without a doubt what the problem was. It turned out he was absolutely right.

I saw a Youtube if your wheel is in good condition you can apply the bead sealer without taking the tire off and rebalancing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I will definitely look into that! It's a pain to keep filling the tires every few weeks!

I have read up on the oil issues with these cars and have been checking the oil religiously. So far, there hasn't been any oil consumption or loss. That's a good thing. However, my mechanic, who has a pretty extensive background did mention that I'll have to make sure to change the oil every 3000 miles, no matter what since he said that these cars have a history with something in the engine. I'm trying to remember what exactly but I can't remember. I want to say something about the heads or the gaskets that may need to be rebuilt? Let's just say it was pretty damn expensive and extensive. I'll have to ask him again what it was.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
The issue with the 2006 4 cylinder engine was defective piston rings in many which resulted in excessive oil consumption. If there is no measurable oil loss between oil changes then either the issue did not exist with your engine or the Toyota TSB remedy engine rebuild was done. In any event that has nothing directly to do with oil change intervals - suggest doing as vanib states. 3000 mile oil changes were with previous generation cars, and now are only useful in extracting money from owners unnecessarily.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tire sealer is a rip off. Clean/grind the rims and you will never need it. It's a piss-poor excuse for not cleaning the rims when you have the tires off. Period. Spray some window cleaner around the stem and beads. You'll find the leaks right away. If you have aluminum rims, it could very well be corrosion on the bead, which can easily be removed with a wire wheel.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The op said "every 2-3 weeks". Sounds like leaks to me. Its odd that they leak at the same rate, but I've seen it before. That's why I "grind" the rims and clean the valve stem hole on every rim. It generally takes a few years for rims to corode far enough to leak, and if you clean them when installing new tires, they should be good until you need a new set.

Soap and water is your friend when looking for leaks. If you havent done soap and water you're wasting time.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Could the tire been filled when it was warm and it has now gotten cold out?
Common this time of year to have a bunch of TPMS questions come on the form.
OP said it started in June, right after they got it, so not a cold weather issue. Like Ike says, soap&water should show where it's leaking from, rim or valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts