Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can give me some trouble shooting tips before I start taking everything apart or pay a guy. So I have 2012 Rav4 Limited. I dont think I have JBL, nothing on the speakers showing the logo anyway. So, yea, what are the odds all 4 go out at once. The most hilarious thing about this was that last Tuesday I was heading on base to see the doc for an ear infection. When I only heard the tweeters I was FREAKING OUT!! I swear I thought my hearing was shot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In a regular audio system, the tweeters are connected together with the door woofers - same channel. They are powered straight from the radio.
On a JBL system, there is a 6 channel amp in the rear. The tweeters are on their separated amp channel and the door speakers on other four channels.

If you are hearing only the tweeters, I would think you have the JBL and the amp circuit failed on those channels. If you get to that and open it, the side of it (connected to the heat sinks) contains the power IC's.

See the two diagrams examples - non JBL and JBL.

non_JBL.JPG jbl.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Ive seen pics of where the amp is located.. ughh . Id hate to go thru all that work just to get to the amp. May as well upgrade everything.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The head end (radio) should say "JBL" on it:

May as well upgrade everything.
It's not that easy. The speaker wires are going back to the amp, not to the dash, so you would need a lot of re-wiring.
Plus, generally the amp solution is better, puts the heat (generated by the power amp) somewhere else besides inside the dash (as the radio with integral amp would do). It's just that sometimes, after so many years, heat might take it's toll.
I saw someone here taking that apart, but he decided to go with a junkyard amplifier instead of trying to find what was wrong with his. That might be OK, but we are all on borrowed time with our electronics that works hot. 10 years-15 years is fair for them to last, they run hotter when used at higher volumes.
I think that the non-JBL radios with integral amps don't last that long, being replaced early with newer units.

PS: In my Mercury Sable with "OE Premium Sound" I had the same setup (amp in the rear) and I replaced the electrolytic capacitors and the power amp chips (put in more "beefier" ones), when I got that used car. No problems since, my daughter got that car and she's still driving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I have a 2012. Im really gonna hate having to go 3 weeks without a radio and then pay a guy only to find out is a loose wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I did look under the seat and there is a large rectangular object under the carpeting. Wasnt sure if it was an amp or a gizmo for the powered seats.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It appears you have a radio from a 2013-2014 RAV4. I would check the wiring connection at the back of the radio. One of the harness could be loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ill check. But is it normal to put a 2013 radio into a 2012? 4th gen into a 3rd gen ? I know some parts are reused, but a radio? Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Maybe it is 2012-1/2... Late production date?
I don't have a diagram for 4th gen, to see if the connectors are identical. This is Gen3, non JBL:

·
Registered
550 Posts
The 2012 model was the first year that Entune-like radio started to show up in the RAV4. The 2013-onward radio all starting to have larger displays by default. If you're able to pull the radio out, look for these two harnesses to the back of the radio. The colors won't be the same, but using the attached picture as a reference, these are the speaker wires.

Grey/Grey-Black : right front
White/White-Black : left front
Purple/Purple-Black : right rear
Green/Green-Black : left rear

1 - 16 of 16 Posts