Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been kind of keeping an eye on the articles about this little gem of human compassion over the past week...

School employee enters fight for prize-winning Tim Hortons cup
Dene Moore, Canadian Press
Published: Monday, March 13, 2006

MONTREAL -- A Montreal lawyer wants a DNA test on a prize-winning Tim Hortons coffee cup that has already pitted two elementary school girls against one another.

Claude Archambault said his client, whom he declined to name, bought the coffee cup that was picked out of the garbage bin by a 10-year-old girl at her elementary school in St-Jerome, north of Montreal. Archambault sent a letter to Tim Hortons last week asking the company not to award the prize SUV until the matter is resolved.

"My client, he's not rich," Archambault said Monday.

"He's very sympathetic toward the girls who found the cup, but he said, 'I bought it, and I should be the one who should be paid.' That's his position."

More to read at the full article... :shock: :roll:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Everyone at work has been talking about this.

What a fiasco! They want DNA testing done LOL!!

The idiot that threw out the cup has no rights to it. Once you throw something in the garbage, you legally give up ownership of it. But knowing the way the law works, he'll probably win. Just think, this guy threw out the cup without "rolling up the rim" to see if he won anything. What a moron!

Its quite clear to me that whoever "found" the cup and pulled it out of the garbage should get the vehicle. Simple really.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Finders keepers, and stop crying about it.

R

·
0 Posts
Sport V6 or Base I4?

I noticed in are local newspaper that the prize value of the Rav4 they are all fighting over was $28 k (Cdn$) and some change. Does that mean that they are only giving away a Base I4 and not a Sport V6 like pictured in thier adds? I decided to look further into this and read the fine print on the TV add - "Prizes may be different than they appear", or something to that affect. Crap! I knew I shouldn't have had all that coffee. Now if I could only sleep.... :shock:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you look at the actual prize info on Tim Hortons' web site it specifically says Sport V6. As of today 7 have been won, leaving 23 left for the rest of us to claim, or fight over, as the case may be.

The prevailing opinion here also is finders keepers. The greed shown by the other parties is a sad example to the kids involved.

R

·
0 Posts
I want to know why there isn't anything similiar here in the US! I wouldn't mind another RAV in the driveway!

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are Tim Hortons in New York, Ohio, Michigan, Maine, Kentucky, West Virginia, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, but they're splitting a single solitary RAV between them all! :shock:

'Course I'd be happier if a chain with a much larger presence in the US would have a RAV giveaway! (Sort of, because I certainly don't need two! :lol: ) Toyota needs to spin up their marketing folks and get those promotional tie-ins burning! 8)

V

·
0 Posts
Tim Hortons is big in Canada, but only slight growing in the US. I have heard that it is doing okay in the Boston area. I'm not sure what other chains are in Boston, but Tim's always delivers consistent quality coffee, doughnuts, bagels, sandwichs and soups.

The last time I was in New Jersey, my friends and I went to a Dunkin Doughnuts...and it was anything but consistent. There were so many people working behind the counter, the service was slow and it was a laughable experience. The one girl was toasting a bagel, then slowwwwly walked back to the counter w/o buttering it. Then she slowly walked back to the other counter to butter it.

So in my opinion, Tim's will catch on. Take Starbucks for example. I thought to myself, there is no way a pricey coffee joint is going to work. You know what, I was wrong. Some people are addicted to coffee and are willing to pay for it. So there is a market for avg priced coffee and premium coffee.

Oh by the way...I rolled up my rim and didn't win. I'll let you know if I get the Rav4.

V

·
0 Posts
IMHO, the girl who found the cup should get the prize. Out of the goodness of her hear, she should give the other girl a little bit for helping her. After all, if the first girl, hadn't decided to pickup the cup, then the other girl, wouldn't have an opportunity to claim anything. If they made a decision to split the prize then that would be different. If I had a scratch and win ticket, and I asked someone to help me out by scratching it, because for whatever reason...my hands are in a cast, or whatever, that doesn't give the friend the right to any potential winnings. I would probably be sooo happy that I would give the friend something for helping me out.

So I don't see how people can decide that because she helped out by rolling up the rim, that the second girl should get half. Just MHO of course. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts