Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I live in NH and no longer have a job where working from home is an option. I'm in need of tires and want good all season tires that will do well in heavy snow and rain for my 2014 LE. We sometimes get storms that drop 18" or more, and often times there are at least 6" on the road between plow passes. I'd prefer tires that have a higher mileage rating so they'll last me awhile. Also are there particular months/times of the year when pricing is better?

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer!

Kelly

·
Registered
129 Posts
To reiterate, all seasons are not a substitute for snow tires.

That said, it is my experience that tires supplied with new vehicles generally have short lives. YOu should get better mileage out of tires bought at a shop.

For whatever it is worth I always buy Michelin.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Michelin has several models. The Premier is the best of the AS touring. They do great on ice and a couple inches of snow. Water is no problem. But if you really want snow performance you should go with 2 sets of wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi All,

I live in NH ... need of tires and want good all season tires that will do well in heavy snow and rain for my 2014 LE. We sometimes get storms that drop 18" or more, and often times there are at least 6" on the road between plow passes. I'd prefer tires that have a higher mileage rating so they'll last me awhile. Also are there particular months/times of the year when pricing is better?
From what you describe, get a dedicated set of steel wheels and winter tires. I was extremely pleased with the price and performance of Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV 7 tires on my OEM steelies. Discount Tires aka America's Tires stores usually has a buy 3 get 4 tires on the day after Thanksgiving. You will feel like a tank and best vehicle on the road with this tire, and it's the lowest price of the Nokian snows.

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
425 Posts
Michelin has several models. The Premier is the best of the AS touring. They do great on ice and a couple inches of snow. Water is no problem. But if you really want snow performance you should go with 2 sets of wheels and tires.
I don't know what kinda snow you have in your area but I checked that tire is not even listed as a winter legal tyre here and the insurance companies do not pay out in case of accidents.
Our biggest car magazine tested some premium all season tyres and the braking performance was 50% longer on wet tarmac than a summer tire. They were also more prone to aqua planning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I suspect he made an error. AS means "all season", at least with Michelin. M/S means mud and snow. I always get M/S tires for winter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been looking at these tires - Yokohama Geolander A/T G015.

They are an All Terrain tire that are Winter-Approved. They apparently have a nice ride, good treadwear and a good price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015
I'll be putting a set of those on in November. Like you, I liked the "three-peak mountain/snowflake symbol (3PMSF)". General AltiMAX RT43 was my next choice. They will be replacing Goodyear Integrity (came with the car).

·
Registered
408 Posts
I fitted BFG ATs over my previous MTs as I wanted tyres/tires with the "three-peak mountain/snowflake symbol (TPMS)".
It is just a legal minimum spec for winter use in Canada and doesn't mean they're proper winters though.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you're really only going to go with one set of tires all year long and you live where it snows, consider researching the Nokian WRG3 SUV tires.

Although I've never owned a set, my research indicated they were one of the best choices if you were to only have one set.

I personally chose instead to run Micheline Latitude Tour HP tires in the summer, and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV tires on separate rims in the winter.

Couldn't be happier.

Safe travels.

Reactions: RAVN4RED

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much to everyone for your input. You've given me a lot to think about. Unfortunately I don't have the option of doing snow tires because I have no place to store the summer tires and renting storage isn't a possibility.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I run Firestone Destination Le2 for 3 seasons & middle Dec. - April 1st week, use winter tires.
- next winter set, will be Cooper Arctic Claw
- been told by brothers skilled mechanic, long tread life

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a word of caution - the abbreviation TPMS (when used with tires) typically refers to "Tire Pressure Monitoring System". In fact, my 2017 RAV4 manual uses it multiple times this way.

I fitted BFG ATs over my previous MTs as I wanted tyres/tires with the "three-peak mountain/snowflake symbol (TPMS)".
It is just a legal minimum spec for winter use in Canada and doesn't mean they're proper winters though.

Reactions: SlimJim16v

·
Registered
16 Posts
And speaking of Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), that also may be a good reason to NOT get separate winter tires for your RAV4. I have been looking at getting winter wheels/tires for my RAV4 (so I can swap them out myself), but the presence of TPMS complicates the matter. I think I am going to have to go to the dealership to get some straight answers about the TPMS system on my RAV4 (and my wife's 2017 Prius C, which is actually my greater concern).

Google is a great research tool, but sometimes it can make things more confusing rather than less.

my 2014 LE

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd rather have winter tires and put up with a warning light than not have winter tires and functioning TPMS.

Toyota's implementation of TPMS is stupid: I am not going to pay $80/season to have the system learn my sensors.

Fortunately, no TPMS on Canadian Rav4s.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just a word of caution - the abbreviation TPMS (when used with tires) typically refers to "Tire Pressure Monitoring System". In fact, my 2017 RAV4 manual uses it multiple times this way.
Thanks, you're correct. I can't edit it, but it should be 3PMS or 3PMSF. I think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been looking at these tires - Yokohama Geolander A/T G015.

They are an All Terrain tire that are Winter-Approved. They apparently have a nice ride, good treadwear and a good price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T+G015
I had a set of those on my old Tacoma and they were great tires, if I was keeping my Rav that is what I would put on it. I have no need for snow tires where I live, we do not get enough snow to warrant the hassle of swapping out tires.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts