Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my wife's 2010 with a brand new 2017. She let me drive it. I am very impressed. I might buy another one to replace my 2010 Matrix near year end (don't tell my wife ...)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Please do a search. This has been posted before. Nah, just kidding. Congrats!!!! ;P
You should look at the hybrid. Same car, more power, double the fuel economy.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks. I did the math and couldn't see a payback on the hybrid. Plus there is the added complexity.

I'm really loving the radar cruise control, etc..

I mean my wife is ... yeah, that's the ticket ...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks. I did the math and couldn't see a payback on the hybrid. Plus there is the added complexity.

I'm really loving the radar cruise control, etc..

I mean my wife is ... yeah, that's the ticket ...
congratulations!!

I bought 2017 RAV4, but I don't know what radar cruise control is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radar Cruise Control

It's part of the safety systems in all (almost all) 2017 Toyotas sold in Canada.

With traditional cruise control you set your speed (i.e. 100 km/hr or 55 mph). If traffic in front of you slows down to 90 (50 MPH) you apply the brakes and/or reset the cruise to the new speed.

With radar cruise control it keeps an eye on the cars in front and if they slow down you slow down automatically. If traffic picks up the speed picks up.

We drive a lot on a very busy highway, the 401, where traffic moves at about 120km/hr most of the time but there are a lot of starts and stops. With the radar cruise your speed goes up and down keeping a safe distance. Its great.

Plus there is some comfort in the fact you have auto brake and so on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Radar cruise and the cross traffic alerts are some of my favorite features!!!

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to have the cross traffic alerts but then I'd have had to have bought the XLE and it has a moon roof. I'd pay money *not* to have a moon roof. They are nothing but trouble in my experience.

Maybe it'll be a 2018 option ...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd love to have the cross traffic alerts but then I'd have had to have bought the XLE and it has a moon roof. I'd pay money *not* to have a moon roof. They are nothing but trouble in my experience.

Maybe it'll be a 2018 option ...
Curious what trouble you've had for a sunroof? I've had one in my past 3 vehicles with no leaks or issues. If youre worried about experiences from old 80s vehicles, things have vastly improved.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Curious what trouble you've had for a sunroof? I've had one in my past 3 vehicles with no leaks or issues. If youre worried about experiences from old 80s vehicles, things have vastly improved.
I was thinking the same thing. I have had moon roofs in all my cars for the last 20+ years. They have built in drain pans with drain lines in case of leaks. The only issue that could go wrong is if you let the drain tube clog up which I have never experienced. Heck I even did a aftermarket roof in one truck I had without issues.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
They have built in drain pans with drain lines in case of leaks. The only issue that could go wrong is if you let the drain tube clog up which I have never experienced.
It does happen. I have a 2013 Limited. Car is parked outside in the city with no trees close by. Drain tubes clogged up after about 3 years resulting in a leak.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only car with a moon roof was in the 1980s. It leaked and jammed open.

I don't see the point of a hole over my head and don't want the risk of a failure. So I see absolutely no benefit and another potential expensive repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts