Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some others mount their XM radios in various places and I took a different tact. I thought about mounting it by the front cup holders but it seemed to me that it would be to far away. I decided to use the 'too small' cell phone holder. See the shots in the gallery.

I cut a piece of wood and tapered it so it would sit snugly in the hole. I then mounted the XM Roady holder that I have to it. The location was good as the power goes to the inside compartment in the center console. The lid cover closes just fine. I ran the antenna wire in a similar way as others (at the top of the windshield, down the a-pillar, and inside the door jamb). I put the wire through the grommet in the door jam and under all of the plastic trim (see the picture in my gallery). It came out pretty clean from a wiring standpoint.

The display is in a good place for accessibilty. I do have to look away from the windshield to see it but it's not any different then the mounting location down by the cup holders.

The wood looks a bit rough right now. I didn't have time to spruce it up but I'm going to go back and finish it better so it looks a bit more professional. I thought I'd share the idea in case others were looking for options.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the idea but I would probably come up with some type of conduit cord cover to go over the exposed wires. Maybe even painting the wood the same color as the console would look nice.

P

·
0 Posts
Neat idea. You could even swivel mount the unit on the end of the wood if you wanted to get crazy. Could also think about running the wires back through the wood and into the console (I'm assuming the back on the cell phone holder shares a "wall" with the console).

G

·
0 Posts
XM Commander location

I put mine behind the cupholder area, just above the DAC button on my Sport V6. Check it out:

Done professionally at a local installer here in Charlotte, NC. Easily viewed from driver's position and I use the remote to flip around most of the time.

Best,
Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: XM Commander location

guitarspanker said:
I put mine behind the cupholder area, just above the DAC button on my Sport V6. Check it out:

Done professionally at a local installer here in Charlotte, NC. Easily viewed from driver's position and I use the remote to flip around most of the time.

Best,
Scott
Question for you GS: I have the SkyFi2, and am just "winging it" with double sided tape in the same location as your unit.

Are you using a direct connect to the Aux Line in the center console? Or are you using the FM? I can't use a direct connect on SkyFi2 because the connector sticks out of the left of the base unit so much that it would impede use of the 12 volt port to the right.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey RAVnSLO,

I'm using the FM, but my installer told me it was directly connected to the deck. I wouldn't really know for sure, but it works great so far.

We went that way b/c I'd lose the ability to hook an iPod in if we used the AUX (couldn't use the jack in the console any more if so).

Good luck with it. I had the SkyFi2 in my '01 Subaru Forester but after a while it rattled a lot and drove me nearly insane.

-Scott

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got the older Roady 2 model. Basically i mounted mine similar to pic in this forum but used velcro. Works great. Mounts there, plug in directly next to it etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am really torn between doing something more permanent with my SkyFi2 on the dash (direct connect) - or - waiting for the '07 JBL head unit that has the satelite capabilities (and hoping I can get it to work w/ my existing JBL system). I really didn't want to have the extra hardware....having everything integrated is so much cleaner looking. Fingers crossed!

O

·
0 Posts
I mounted mine right over the DAC button with velcro. I have the older roady2 also. It plugs in easy and wires are clean. IF I need the DAC button I just pull it off. I am also using it with the FM and have no issues..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts