Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

601 - 620 of 648 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
well hitch arrived saturday packaged well with coverings over receiver area and end pieces ..all packaged inside big box..no scuffs or damage... now just have to install hitch.. and wiring.. then measure it up for receiver and ball

·
Registered
10 Posts
well got time to put eco hitch on the rav ..fit and looks great.. love how it is tucked behind bumper and cross bar not seen..if installing on older rav or for that matter new one CLEAN thread holes!!!!!!! next step wiring and then measure it up for the receiver

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Skimming this thread, it looks like hidden hitch and eco are the preferred aftermarket ones, is that a fair summary?
Criteria for me was least expensive. That was a used Valley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will a dealer install a tow prep package on a 2012 rav 4wd 6cyl and approx. how much will it cost ? I live in NJ. I regret not buying it then when I purchased the car.

the only google info I could find was dated '12 info. I scanned 6 pgs. here but someone might have an answer a lot faster.

thank you.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the Tow Prep package was only available from the factory.

It consisted of primarily a larger alternator, a larger radiator, different fan couplings and some special brackets in the rear for the OEM trailer hitch (even though those aren't mentioned in the official description). On earlier 4.3's they also listed "pre-wiring" which I gather meant some wires run through the firewall for you to make the trip shorter for connecting the trailer lights.

I've never heard of a "tow prep kit" you could get to replace the existing components, for example.

I also do not know if heavier gauge wiring is used by the alternator, different sized or length hoses used by the radiator, different mounts used by the alternator and radiator, etc.

I find it pretty unlikely a dealer would try to replace components and declare the towing capacity increased, especially given the potential legal and liability issues involved. I don't recall reading anywhere here on R4W of anyone getting that done by a dealer either.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ask, and it would be very interesting to hear what they have to say.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks DVS.

Good news: I do, in fact, have the tow prep package installed on my RAV !! I opened the hood this morning, (something I've done only a few times since my purchase back in 6/2012) and saw the 140A & dual fans. Then I went to the rear and saw the brackets behind the bumper. Then I called my Toyota service and they confirmed as well. So, I'm thrilled. The tow prep package was not researched when I bought the car--I assumed it could be installed later and didn't know the difference between a tow prep and a tow hitch. thanks to this wonderful forum I have learned about that & more !!

Now, my OEM/aftermarket hitch research continues. Here in NJ the dealers prices are:

Toyota hitch: 583
Toyota wire harness: 157
Toyota installation: 270

I've read the oem hitch has more bolts attached to unibody, is more sturdy, and less squeaky than aftermarket hitches. My next path of research here will be who can do an installation of the oem hitch & harness just as good as a dealer.

Is $270 the normal install fee if I get it done elsewhere ?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Great news about already having the Tow Prep package installed!

I don't know about pricing for the OEM hitch installation, but if it helps I've always considered this page to be the best point of reference for do-it-yourself installation of the OEM hitch on the 4.3 RAV4:

RAV4 Hitch

Note that it's my understanding that Toyota sells two variants of the OEM hitch, depending on whether or not you have the Tow Prep version of the RAV4.

The Tow Prep version is part number PT228-42060

You can find it online for less than the price you mentioned (typically around $430 or so), but I don't know what shipping costs would add to it.

Here's one for $400 and another one for $393.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tow Info?

Hi out there.... These messages are OLD - but thought I would butt in anyway.

Anyone still putting in towing info? I need to get a tow and stabilizers and whatever put on my 2011 RAV4, V6, 4WD vehicle. The estimate I got was almost $1,000 from the dealership here in eastern PA, Milham. Does that sound about right?

Anything I need to watch out for?

I am totally new to the concept of towing anything - and am hopeful to purchase a small RV fairly soon.

Thanks for any words of wisdom. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Hi out there.... These messages are OLD - but thought I would butt in anyway.

Anyone still putting in towing info? I need to get a tow and stabilizers and whatever put on my 2011 RAV4, V6, 4WD vehicle. The estimate I got was almost $1,000 from the dealership here in eastern PA, Milham. Does that sound about right?

Anything I need to watch out for?

I am totally new to the concept of towing anything - and am hopeful to purchase a small RV fairly soon.

Thanks for any words of wisdom. :D
You'll need three items.
1. The receiver hitch itself. Toyota's is much more expensive than an aftermarket one and IMO not worth the price altho you'll get many different opinions, probably already on this thread.
2. An electric brake controller installed under the dash. I only use Tekonsha brand.
3. A 7-round trailer connector mounted near the hitch and the wiring back to it. My preference is running wiring inside not underneath.

I'd check prices at an RV or trailer store such as U-haul. There must be several in the Allentown area. Look for helpful people who will answer all your questions.

Also check with friends who tow RVs. There's a lot to learn to do it safely and confidently. Backing up can be a challenge until you practice it.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I installed my Magnus hitch from ebay this weekend. Pretty easy install by myself. Then I hooked up my trailer and bike to go see how the Rav felt with it. She drove great!
Looks great - even more enticing w/o the snow as in the other pic.
Now, do I detour to Kansas on my trip to/from Sturgis with my trusty DRZ in my dyno trailer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cool. I use to have a DRZ E with a Yoshimura 450 kit. She had plenty of power. I have some youtube vids of how the roads look like around here (the flyover state) if you would like to see.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Notice anything different?
Yeah, the bike is missing a headlight and tool pack. And from the color it must be one of those 'zukis.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
BINGO on the he and bull bar. :)
I only noticed the most significant changes. Decorations don't do much for me. :wink

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a base '07 of the same color. Did yours have a tow package or not? If not, did you add a trans cooler?
Willie

601 - 620 of 648 Posts
About this Discussion
647 Replies
189 Participants
Aerton
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing