Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 648 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
The little I read on here, it sounds like all V6s have the tow package.
Only in Canada. In the US the tow prep package was always an option listed on the sticker.

·
16,418 Posts
That's odd. Is there an easy way to tell if mine has it? I'm not really worried either way. Thanks
Yes, look under the hood in the fuse box near the battery. If your alternator fuse is 140 amps, then you have the tow prep package.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
40 Posts
After running my 2007 RAV4 6-Pack in Germany for 3 years, I put another 5 years on it in the US of A. After 94k miles, a bad water cooler, split oil coolant lines, and needing new shocks and other money-suckers, I traded it in for a 2012 RAV4 with the TO option.

I am splurging on a OEM hitch (PT22842060) and wiring. I had a Hidden Hitch on the old pig, and never had issues. OEM looks better, and I won a bunch of $$ in my job's football pool last month. Anyhoo, speaking to the rep at ToyotaPartsWorld (cheapest overall price), guy tried telling me that I needed the PT22842061 due to, "you have the tow package prep, but not the actual package, so you would need hitch number PT228-42061".

Is this guy as wrong as I think he is? I have the TO package, verified the alternator fuse (140) and support brackets behind the rear bumper. I'd appreciate the fact check from the 'World.

·
16,418 Posts
After running my 2007 RAV4 6-Pack in Germany for 3 years, I put another 5 years on it in the US of A. After 94k miles, a bad water cooler, split oil coolant lines, and needing new shocks and other money-suckers, I traded it in for a 2012 RAV4 with the TO option.

I am splurging on a OEM hitch (PT22842060) and wiring. I had a Hidden Hitch on the old pig, and never had issues. OEM looks better, and I won a bunch of $$ in my job's football pool last month. Anyhoo, speaking to the rep at ToyotaPartsWorld (cheapest overall price), guy tried telling me that I needed the PT22842061 due to, "you have the tow package prep, but not the actual package, so you would need hitch number PT228-42061".

Is this guy as wrong as I think he is? I have the TO package, verified the alternator fuse (140) and support brackets behind the rear bumper. I'd appreciate the fact check from the 'World.
A quick Google of those numbers show the original part number you asked for (PT228-42060) is for the V6 with tow prep package. The one the parts geek suggested (PT228-42061) is listed as for the I4.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2010 rav4 base 2.5l
Bought and installed the Curt Class 3. Paid $200 for a complete package.. Well i had to piece it together.
Trailer hitch: $126 shipped
Wiring: $44.52 shipped
2in Mount and ball set: $22.77 shipped

Then i had to buy an 1 7/8 ball for $8 and the big wrench for it from Wal-Mart. Plus a pipe wrench.. Equal $26 then added to $193.

All for under $225.. Not too bad for my first set up..

Tractor and supply is having a sale on the 5ftx8ft trailer. $100 off, if anyone is needeing one.
Reg.is $699 now is $599.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a Canadian 2008 RAV4-v6, with tow package.
- found a genuine Toyota hitch, listed on Kijiji / but it turned out to be off a 2014, won't fit

Going to order a Reese Value Receiver 44540 in States, and drive to Port Huron, MI & pickup.
- Walmart.com has it on their website, for $143.99 USD reese 44540 - Walmart.com
^^ Pretty hard to beat, that price.

Trailer Hitch-Class III/IV Professional Rear Reese 44540 fits 06-12 Toyota RAV4
3500lb Gross Trailer Weight/4000lb Wt. Distributing;350lb Tongue Wt./400lb Wt. Distributing;Brown Box;Uses All Existing Holes No Drilling Reqd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Canadian 2008 RAV4-v6, with tow package.
- found a genuine Toyota hitch, listed on Kijiji / but it turned out to be off a 2014, won't fit

Going to order a Reese Value Receiver 44540 in States, and drive to Port Huron, MI & pickup.
- Walmart.com has it on their website, for $143.99 USD reese 44540 - Walmart.com
^^ Pretty hard to beat, that price.

Trailer Hitch-Class III/IV Professional Rear Reese 44540 fits 06-12 Toyota RAV4
3500lb Gross Trailer Weight/4000lb Wt. Distributing;350lb Tongue Wt./400lb Wt. Distributing;Brown Box;Uses All Existing Holes No Drilling Reqd.
Hitchweb.com has a Hidden Hitch with the same stats for $178.32CDN and free delivery. No ball or pin at that price, but they have those at a good price too.

Consider the difference in currencies: $144US = $189.86CDN today. Add the price of gas and the hassle of crossing That Most Inconvenient Border, and make your own choice, my friend.

If you're totally honest, there might also be import duties. And the cost of your significant other wanting to do his/her own shopping while you're down there. :surprise

For lightweight use, you'll love either hitch (Reese or Hidden Hitch). Your shins won't at first, as it sticks out a bit. If you plan to tow 3500 pounds regularly, maybe consider the Toyota hitch; it is SOLID, bolts on in more places than you'll believe possible, is rated at 6000 pounds (the RAV4 itself is rated for 3500), and you could lift the RAV out of a swamp by the hitch if you take a wrong turn. Since the RAV is a unibody, the extra support makes sense for repeated heavy hauling.

·
Registered
880 Posts
For those stressing over which hitch to get, I had an after market and my neighbour had the factory hitch and while I appreciated the extra attachment points on his, they didn't look like they would do much at the weights you would tow with a Rav4. Maybe over the long term if all you do is tow they would prevent metal fatigue but I tried one test towing a 2700 lb. car on a 900 lb trailer on hilly terrain and that was when I decided to get rid of the 4.3. A couple of trips would have murdered that poor car. I don't think I would tow more than 2000lbs in hilly terrain, maybe 3000lbs. on flatter terrain, both with electric brakes of course. The factory hitch seems needlessly engineered for much more than that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
For those stressing over which hitch to get, I had an after market and my neighbour had the factory hitch and while I appreciated the extra attachment points on his, they didn't look like they would do much at the weights you would tow with a Rav4. Maybe over the long term if all you do is tow they would prevent metal fatigue but I tried one test towing a 2700 lb. car on a 900 lb trailer on hilly terrain and that was when I decided to get rid of the 4.3. A couple of trips would have murdered that poor car. I don't think I would tow more than 2000lbs in hilly terrain, maybe 3000lbs. on flatter terrain, both with electric brakes of course. The factory hitch seems needlessly engineered for much more than that.
Why would you do that to your poor RAV. You have to remember that the RAV is built on a Corolla chassis. A COROLLA!!! It is simply a taller version of the famous car with a 4wd option.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You have to remember that the RAV is built on a Corolla chassis. A COROLLA!!! It is simply a taller version of the famous car with a 4wd option.
It is my understanding that this is not true, at least for the 4.3 models, which I think have a unique chassis.

Older models (pre-V6) may have been based on the Corolla platform, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a hidden hitch on a 2006 V6. I have towed with lots of bigger vehicles before: suburban, 36ft class a, 4runner, acura mdx. I was towing a Uhaul 5x8 (900 dry) plus about 1000 in it, took it thru the canadian rockies no problem at all.

Oh and no brakes on the trailer. I just kept it in D4, stayed under 110kmh, it didn't even phase the rav

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting and informativ post, austinhager. As mentioned earlier, I have a 2006 V6 base model with a hitch I had installed by U-Haul. I pull several small runabouts between 14-16' in length. Although I don't have the slightest problem accelerating, I do have a complaint with the braking ability. Man do I ever know there's a trailer behind me when I slow down!
I'd love to know if there are any mods I can do, short of adding brakes to the trailers, that would improve the braking performance. I've considered more aggressive pads but wonder how worthwhile they'd be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know about the US spec ones, but I know that if you got the third row seating option in Canada there are different rotors and pads I believe. I do not have the third row, but when I needed to replace them I opted for these ones, I think the rotors were around $180CAD a piece which didn't make for a cheap job but they only like $40-50 more than the oem ones for my model. Hope this helps! Oh and a side note, I flipped the hitch/ball around so it was 2" higher.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That info does help. I'll have to look into it. FWIW, I don't have the 3rd row seating either. Very interesting. Also a good tip about flipping over the hitch. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tow Hooks

Can you guys post Photos of your installed tow hooks on your RAV4.
I am looking for a nice, well built, fabricated tow hook that I will install on a 2015 RAV4 Limited edition....This is just for looks but no towing.
The ones on eBay are Made in China, and does not look good, may not fit like an OEM.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Can you guys post Photos of your installed tow hooks on your RAV4.
I am looking for a nice, well built, fabricated tow hook that I will install on a 2015 RAV4 Limited edition....This is just for looks but no towing.
The ones on eBay are Made in China, and does not look good, may not fit like an OEM.
You posted in the 4.3 section and should be in the 4.4 since you have a 2015.
Look at etrailer.com for pictures/video with the hitch installed. They carry the big names like Curt and Draw-Tite. I have a Draw-Tite which is well made and I think made in USA.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Getting a tow hitch and wire harness installed this weekend, finally found a toy to pull for this holiday/fishing season.

Uhaul has the the CQ75235 which is basically the same as the Draw-Tite 75235 from ETrailer, was trying to look and see how much people have successfully pulled with the aftermarket hitches, I know the OEM hitch seems to have more bolting points, but honestly it looks more like a multipiece deal with lots of bolts to attach than a sturdier hitch.

I'm not too worried about the weight I'll be pulling, it's a small 15ft boat and a lightweight trailer, I think totally will be about 2100-2300lbs, boat and motor alone are about 1600-1800 and the trailer is about 400lbs plus gear and stuff extra inside.

I passed on a bigger boat earlier this month as it was a 17ft bowrider that according to iboats was about 2100lb dry weight without gear/motor, plus the trailer was a heavier duty/weighted trailer around 800lbs... add the 50hp motor around 230lbs plus gear and etc, etc... and I would definitely be at the suggested max for the Rav4.

Attachments

621 - 640 of 648 Posts
About this Discussion
647 Replies
189 Participants
Aerton
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing