Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 RAV4 120K miles. I have a loud squealing noise from the front of the engine. The serpentine belt looks good. My speculation is that the alternator bearing has failed. How do you even get to the alternator?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You might get more replies by posting in the correct forum section for your model year. This area is for 2013+ models.

I still would not rule out your serpentine belt. It could look ok but still be stretched. If your alternator bearing failed I don't think it would make a squealing noise (at least in my experience), and once the bearing locked up completely you'd have a fire under your hood :)

Admin: Moved thread to 4.3 Mechanical.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had this problem with my 2007 Rav. I thought it was the belt. Had that changed, squeak still continued on. Dealer diagnosed it later on as a failed bearing in the alternator. I ordered a remanufactured one on ebay and the dealer installed it for me. At that time, I did not have the time to go do it myself. I paid $150 for the alternator and was charged $90 for the labor. So not bad! Keep in mind this is in CDN dollars. Your experience may vary at the dealer/independent shop.

I didn't take it out myself but you'll have to get it from underneath.

Here's a thread that I had found which I think will help you out.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/92496-trying-get-alternator-off-my-2006-v6-help.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting stuff. Shall have to keep this in mind should it come up in the future.

I was once driving on the freeway in a Trans Am and had the alternator bearing lock up... made a low tone moaning/rubbing sound, followed by a pop (serp belt snapping), followed by a engine stall. Once I came to a stop on the off ramp had a VERY hot fire engulfing the alternator. Every time I put the fire out it reignited by itself! My coat was toasted lol. Good thing my leaky fuel injector didn't set the whole thing off. Wild times...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Interesting stuff. Shall have to keep this in mind should it come up in the future.

I was once driving on the freeway in a Trans Am and had the alternator bearing lock up... made a low tone moaning/rubbing sound, followed by a pop (serp belt snapping), followed by a engine stall. Once I came to a stop on the off ramp had a VERY hot fire engulfing the alternator. Every time I put the fire out it reignited by itself! My coat was toasted lol. Good thing my leaky fuel injector didn't set the whole thing off. Wild times...
Guess they didn't call them Firebirds for nuthin'!

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha yeah they do live up to their name. They should come standard with a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a video with tips for removing the alternator. It's a very tight fit. But it's do-able if you take a few things out of the way. Hope this helps anybody looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts