Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and purchased these heavy duty crossbars on ebay. I will post pics when it arrives and give my own review.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Link for them? Let us know how they turn out, I'm definitely interested. Price?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hopefully wont be noisy at highway speed.

It looks nice on a light color car and i might get one too if feedback is good

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully wont be noisy at highway speed.
I doubt it would be, the OEM bars I had on wasn't too noisy and wasn't strong enough to hold my fishing kayak. Then I sold the OEM and changed to high mount bars, they were too noisy and they flexed (rated 150lb) when loading my fishing kayak. Going back to low profile should be less noise. I will find out soon and will update you guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - Aluminum Bars - Ebay

Here it is...my initial review on this aluminum crossbar from eBay.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

1. Product Quality I will give a 8, I am very impressed with the material used, it is very solid piece. The aluminum is as good as those big name brand. The Plastic housing probably the only issue but it is solid and won't flex unless you force it. It does have a key and lock which is acceptable. Thieves would really have to pry the bars out.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

2. Fit I will give and 8. No bolt thread stripped. good quality bolts when tightening. But not sure if it will rust over time. Plastic housing in my opinion still leaves small gap, so it is not flushed to rail bar, but nothing is perfect in this world. The clamps are metal with rubber grips. This bad boy should not go any where. I tried forcing it to move, it did not budge at all.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

3. Wind noise I give 10. Since I placed the front bar 9"back from the connection rail joint, there was no wind noise going 60mph. I did have my windows down and did not notice any noise. next setting I moved it up from 9" to 4" which brings it close to the front. I have not tested it yet, will know in my morning commute.

4. Loading - no review yet.

So far, I think for the money, it is good as the big name brands. And for the money, you cannot beat it.

[/URL][/IMG]

When installing:
1 - Loosen all bolts to adjust the width of the bars, adjust accordingly.
2 - Once you have placed the bars and ready to tighten, press the clamps against the rails to get it flush as possible and tighten well. Once you tighten the clamps to the rail on all 4 clamps. tighten the bolts that adjust the width.
3 - Install the plastic housing with key lock.

old bars

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks! Looks like i'll get one soon

I was gonna use yakima timberline and a round bar adapter so i can use my existing cross bar, but it is not easy to remove when i dont ise it. Roundbar is noisy. This pair costs $200 without the round bar.

With this one, i can leave it there all the time and cost is half.

Only worry is how tough is the plastic when i put lumber or ladders on top

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind noise moving the front bars 4" closer to towards the front of the rails. you can hear the wind noise which I assume it will do when moving it closer affecting the aerodynamics of the rav4. Again, these crossbars are very solid, I have no doubts about the load especially heavy loads.

- @ Clarinet - if you plan to load wood and worried about the plastic housing, I would just remove them while loading or find some 36" wide bar padding for aero bars to protect it.

Will I buy again. Most Definitely....

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Nice review, sc! Those bars look very nice. If you're worried about rusting, you could replace those bolts with stainless steel. They have little packs of them at HD and Lowe's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eventually I will replace them with SS. They look to be coated (clamp bolt).

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the update. I've just placed order.

I saw some aero bar protection thing that costs $50+. I'm not gonna worry about scratch then. If i scratch that thing pretty bad, it might be worth it just to buy a new one or spray paint it. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received mine on saturday and put in use on sunday. Went to HD and bought 3x 2x6x16 to put on top. Bind them together in front and back to they dont move. Then used bungie cord to tie to cross bar and rail. Seems ok. No scratches because of center raised rubber piece.

Thanks for the link.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received mine on saturday and put in use on sunday. Went to HD and bought 3x 2x6x16 to put on top. Bind them together in front and back to they dont move. Then used bungie cord to tie to cross bar and rail. Seems ok. No scratches because of center raised rubber piece.

Thanks for the link.
@Clarinet please invest in some straps, bungees just don't cut it for me....I'm glad everything worked out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up these crossbars for my 2017 xle, I had the Toyota ones on my 2014 and I have to say these feel way stronger and look better too. Haven't gotten to use them yet but I don't foresee any problems

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats great.

I have been loading up my kayak ever since. longest travel with kayak on is 400 miles round trip. no issues, no loose bolt clamp. This sure gained my trust when loading/transporting in long travels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats great.

I have been loading up my kayak ever since. longest travel with kayak on is 400 miles round trip. no issues, no loose bolt clamp. This sure gained my trust when loading/transporting in long travels.
This makes me feel great bc that's what I use my racks for!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My real test will be loading up my Hobie Pro Angler 14 which weighs up to 130lbs, I also have a 2" hitch installed. I will be using a T loader to help me load the PA14 solo. I will eventually create a video of how-to.

6 post up is my hobie outback which weighs 80lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the link to these crossbars and the review.

What's the T loader you mention? That might be useful for me. I've got a 10' Portabote that I could easily load onto my crossbars by leaning it onto the back of my former Matrix and pushing it up and on. My new 2017 RAV4 Hybrid just has that flimsy plastic overhang on the back that can't take much weight. Maybe a T loader is what I need. I have a 2" trailer hitch.

I can't see any way to get a tie down onto the front end of the RAV4. I used to do that with my Matrix, but probably was overkill. Do you worry about tying from the front of your kayak to somewhere near the front bumper of your RAV4?

Thanks for any ideas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts