Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

After finding fluid around what I thought was just the differential and some drops on the cement, I hit the forum to see what I could find. Seems like the electromagnetic differential coupler. Just to be sure could someone take a peak at the pictures I took.

I was hoping it was just going to be a seal. Is that a possibility?

I just bought this on April 9, 2016 from a Toyota Dealership in Ontario. It was imported from the States in 2009. 110,000 miles or 110,000 miles (177,000 kms).

The Stealership where we bought it said "We never said it was a Toyota Certified Used Car, so there is nothing we can do about it"

Been loosing my love for Toyota's Customer Service lately.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There is a rear differential coupling coverage past the warranty but it is a different story if it is not a Canadian RAV. You need to call up Toyota Canada to find out if it can be covered in Canada. I read these are very expensive to repair. That leak is very bad and I am surprised you did not look under the car before buying. Even my wife suggest I look under the car when I bought mine in Feb 2016.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take a look, don't jump to conclusions. Regardless of the leak, I was prepared to change the seals myself. My bad for not noticing it. Never expected a leak to require a $900 part replacement. Thanks for the advice to call Toyota of Canada.
Lucky for me I lived in Japan and speak fluent Japanese, so if it comes down to it, I'll get it sent from there.

Should the fluid in the differential be topped up for the time being?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
my 2007 and 2012 both developed rear axle seal leaks, took them about an hour to fix both times under warranty, so can't be that expensive outside of warranty

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
237 Posts
Should the fluid in the differential be topped up for the time being?
It's a good idea to check the level, and top it up if necessary, but the leak appears to be coming from the coupler, not the diff. They don't share fluid.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
dang look at that drive shaft. Looks like it was pulled up from a shipwreck. I know they salt the roads out there, but MAN!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a good idea to check the level, and top it up if necessary, but the leak appears to be coming from the coupler, not the diff. They don't share fluid.
Awesome. Not to doubt you or anything but are you 100% sure?
The reason why I ask is because of the Repair Bulletin for the coupler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dang look at that drive shaft. Looks like it was pulled up from a shipwreck. I know they salt the roads out there, but MAN!!
haha I know. Looks like the previous owner never believed in undercoating and they really pour the salt on the highways here in Southern Ontario.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The reason why I ask is because of the Repair Bulletin for the coupler.

Do check the rear differential fluid and top off to prevent more damage since your coupling is leaking badly.

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
237 Posts
Not 100% but maybe 90%. There used to be some technical articles from Toyota in the TSB section but I can't find them anymore. One of them had a detailed cutaway drawing of the rear diff and coupler assembly. There were oil seals on the shaft connecting the coupler and diff so that lubricants could not move between them. This is based on my memory which has been known to be faulty on occasion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I see, your drive shaft is pretty rusted.... Did you inspected your rear u-joint? If it's jammed it can cause a vibration that surely will not help your diff coupler... Mine was looking like that and it was completely bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
As I recall the coupler assembly is a separate sealed non-repairable unit that does not share lubricant with the differential. It does however act as the front seal for the diff.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As I recall the coupler assembly is a separate sealed non-repairable unit that does not share lubricant with the differential. It does however act as the front seal for the diff.
So once the seal leaks between the coupler and differential the differential fluid leaks out. (not from the coupler as mentioned - sealed) Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
So once the seal leaks between the coupler and differential the differential fluid leaks out. (not from the coupler as mentioned - sealed) Is that correct?
Yep, from my previous study of the diagrams it is. And step 3A where the differential is drained before removing the coupler only makes sense it the seal is between them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts