Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold a 2009 US model Rav4 and moved overseas. I bought from Japan a 2006 Rav4, which is strange because it’s so similar but the wheel is on the wrong side.

However, I need to replace the Radio/Nav unit. As wonderful as the advanced DVD/TV/GPS thing is in this ‘new’ 2006 model, it’s pretty useless. For one thing, for some reason Japan’s FM band stops at 90.0FM. Seriously. The GPS maps are Japan only and the firmware doesn’t include language options.

I would like to get my old radio back and pick up a US radio unit from ebay. Plenty on there and many for less than the Aux input port part alone.

BUT – Will a US radio and head unit mount into the same space as the Japanese Toyota Genuine HDD Navigation and music system(NHDN-W56, made by Panasonic)? The Nav unit is square, so this means replacing the Nav Unit and panel (http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarPat/695263/p1.jpg?ct=30e505d29618) with the North American unit. (http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20150518164000/ImageHandler/scale/978/978/core/learn/article/3637/radio.jpg)

On ToyoDIY.com the Japanese model schematics show BOTH radios with the same part number (thanks a lot). I don’t think this confirms anything, though. Except my paranoia.

ALSO, on the current unit the Aux jack is on the front of the radio. Did 2006 North America radios have an Aux jack in the center console like the 2009? If so that seems pretty painless to get the right cable and jack and run it through the console (but I could be wrong). I just want to make sure that I shouldn’t get a 2008 or 2009 North America radio from ebay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Many radios sold are designed to be universal, it saves on production costs, and when shipped to different countries they have jumpers inside that can set the frequency range and features for the US, European, or Asian market.That's why the Toyota part number is the same; it's most likely the same radio, but the internal jumpers are set differently.
The GPS most likely can be upgraded to a new country by changing the map software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Whipaway,

I figured most parts should be universal, especially on a range of similar models, but knowing my luck it's not worth chancing it to blow $50 on a new stock radio just to have it be useless thanks to a mounting rail in the wrong place.

As for the unit in there now, apparently it's right in this amazing sweet spot of not being supported once installed. Panasonic doesn't have firmware or maps outside the Japanese market. Best I can find online, no one has ever mentioned jumpers that would open up the FM band (or for that matter, changing the DVD region). My emails to Toyota and Panasonic (Japan and US) if actually answered came up with a lot of "sorry, we have no idea, ask someone else." Truly shocking to me on all counts, but I think Panasonic only produced that Nav unit for 1 or 2 years. There's a similar unit that's better supported, but if I'm going to all this trouble, I might as well just get a radio I know is trouble free and has everything I need to use my phone as the GPS unit and music device.

But hey, if this means that it's reasonable to assume even a 2006 US stock radio will have the Aux input and will fit in the dashboard, then that's pretty good overall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts