Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud new owner of a 2003 RAV4, I've had it for about 1 week now and have been thinking about upgrading the stereo.

I've got a Alpine MRV-F505, and don't know where I can mount it.
It's a bit of a monster at (W x H x D) 240mm x 53mm x 400mm (9-7/16" x 2-1/16" x 15-3/4"). I don't want it under the seats and am looking to keep everything stock looking and out of sight.

Any chance I can mount it under the rear door panel? I haven't had it off yet to check how much space is back there.

Can anyone suggest other locations?

TIA
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you do about the rear heater vents? I'm not even sure this thing will fit nicely under the seat.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vtr_rider said:
I'm the proud new owner of a 2003 RAV4, I've had it for about 1 week now and have been thinking about upgrading the stereo.

I've got a Alpine MRV-F505, and don't know where I can mount it.
It's a bit of a monster at (W x H x D) 240mm x 53mm x 400mm (9-7/16" x 2-1/16" x 15-3/4"). I don't want it under the seats and am looking to keep everything stock looking and out of sight.

Any chance I can mount it under the rear door panel? I haven't had it off yet to check how much space is back there.

Can anyone suggest other locations?

TIA
I think your best bet is under the driver seat. It doesn't seem like a lot of room, but in fact there is a LOT of room. I don't have a measuring stick handy, but 400 mm (40 cm) is probably your absolute upper limit for any under-seat application. Hmmm... you might have just enough room to have the amp's longer side crosswise (i.e. the longer side fits between the seat brackets), but, again, I'm not sure. Of course, you want to keep the amp as invisible from the outside as possible.

Your only other option is to fit the amp on the floor of your cargo area, which is a little risky if you carry a lot of cargo, due to heat build-up and damage from moving cargo.

As far as the heater vents go, I just installed my amps regardless of the heater vents. You might want to put a deflector to avoid "hitting" the amp with a constant blast of warm air (a big no-no). I am thinking about putting spacers under my amp so that air can flow along the under-belly as the top and sides.

Let us know how it goes.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mensajero said:
Remember my model RAV4 is the 1997 model. I removed the seat and installed it without any problems of over heating. It is a small AMP model Alpine MRP-F240. Its clean power is awesome. I guess you have a monster of an AMP. BTW, I just like to listen to Smooth Jazz that doesn't need a lot of power.


I just bought an Alpine MRP-T220, the two-channel amp of the same amp. Man, it is an awesome unit, eh? Actually, I bought it last weekend but I finally had a chance to install it today. It just works like a charm. The output is so clean, I don't even have to put a high-pass for my 6.5" Infinity speakers. It is able to manage the full range of frequencies very efficiently for my needs. It fits right under my driver seat with lots of room to spare.

I'm going to reinstall my MTX RT202 amp under my passenger seat, when it comes back from service (under warranty :)) to power my rear speakers or a small subwoofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,240 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
mensajero said:
Remember my model RAV4 is the 1997 model. I removed the seat and installed it without any problems of over heating. It is a small AMP model Alpine MRP-F240. Its clean power is awesome. I guess you have a monster of an AMP. BTW, I just like to listen to Smooth Jazz that doesn't need a lot of power.


I just bought an Alpine MRP-T220, the two-channel amp of the same amp. Man, it is an awesome unit, eh? Actually, I bought it last weekend but I finally had a chance to install it today. It just works like a charm. The output is so clean, I don't even have to put a high-pass for my 6.5" Infinity speakers. It is able to manage the full range of frequencies very efficiently for my needs. It fits right under my driver seat with lots of room to spare.

I'm going to reinstall my MTX RT202 amp under my passenger seat, when it comes back from service (under warranty :)) to power my rear speakers or a small subwoofer.
I just have a set (4) Infinity speakers and the sound is great. If anyone is installing speakers for the RAV4. Take a look, eh, check that, try to listen to a set of Infinity 6.5 with an Alpine AMP. The sound is impressive. I've been listening to music since I was born. My Grand father told me that he put a small radio with some Jazz music when I was in a crib. It was the only way he could get me to get asleep, bless his soul.
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a further look under the seat. I moved on once I saw the floor vents were in the way.
I'm still curious about the rear door, perhaps if there isn't enough depth I could make a cutout on the rear door panel and place a grill over the top of the amp to hide it. Has anyone done anything similar?
I've been ripped off so many times with previous vehicles, I want to try and do it right the first time. I've had this amp for years, and the only reason why I've still got it is that I had steel bar cage welded over it in my Honda Civic.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mensajero said:
I just have a set (4) Infinity speakers and the sound is great. If anyone is installing speakers for the RAV4. Take a look, eh, check that, try to listen to a set of Infinity 6.5 with an Alpine AMP. The sound is impressive. I've been listening to music since I was born. My Grand father told me that he put a small radio with some Jazz music when I was in a crib. It was the only way he could get me to get asleep, bless his soul.
I know the feeling. I just have a pair of Inifinity speakers on my front door panels and a pair of Rockford Fosgate speakers on my rear door panels (all 6.5"). If I completely "fade out" my rear speakers with the new Alpine amp installed, it sounds as if I could simply live without my rear speakers. I know that, once I reconnect my rear Rockford speakers to my currently-in-repair MTX amp, they would sound a lot better. The Rockford speakers can definitely handle the bass, but, relative to the Inifinity Speakers powered by the new Alpine amp, they sound terrible right now because they're running strictly off the deck.

I'm not a loud, pounding bass kinda guy like I was ten years ago. Back then, straight out of high school, I couldn't afford such a sophisitcated system, but now that I am working, full-time, I have no desire for a 15" sub drawing 1000 watts. :p Nevertheless, I still want a good response at all frequencies. The Alpine amp helps the Inifinity speakers get that job done.

I'm not sure whether I mentioned this on this thread or not, but unamplified Infinity speakers sounded terrible. They sounded significanly better with the old MTX amp, but having the Alpine amp was the ULTIMATE.

Anyway... I'm rambling now... :p
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vtr_rider said:
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a further look under the seat. I moved on once I saw the floor vents were in the way.
I'm still curious about the rear door, perhaps if there isn't enough depth I could make a cutout on the rear door panel and place a grill over the top of the amp to hide it. Has anyone done anything similar?
I've been ripped off so many times with previous vehicles, I want to try and do it right the first time. I've had this amp for years, and the only reason why I've still got it is that I had steel bar cage welded over it in my Honda Civic.
By rear door, do you mean the tailgate? I would see two big problems associated with a tailgate mount. First, you would be constantly opening and shutting the tailgate, applying a lot of shock. Second, mounting a relatively-heavy amplifier on the plastic interior panel of the tailgate might be a little dangerous, although I have considered the idea myself.

I would definitely give the under-seat method another look. In my opinion, for the RAV4 (or any other SUV, for that matter), it is your ONLY option, unless you want to do a custom job for the cargo area. For a custom job in the cargo area, I would (in my opinion) mount the amp on a plywood panel, then mount it upright just above one of the two wheel wells. Never mount the amp upside-down, or else it won't be able to radiate heat properly.

I too have to build a steel cage of some sort to prevent people from accidentally kicking my under-seat amps. :p

Good luck. Keep us updated. I'm very curious too.

BTW, if you want to check out other RAV4 with amps in action, go to www.cardomain.com and search for RAV4s (and you can even narrow yourself to the 2001-2005 models).
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EHinthe604 said:
By rear door, do you mean the tailgate? I would see two big problems associated with a tailgate mount. First, you would be constantly opening and shutting the tailgate, applying a lot of shock. Second, mounting a relatively-heavy amplifier on the plastic interior panel of the tailgate might be a little dangerous, although I have considered the idea myself.
Yep, rear door/tailgate. I'm considering pulling the tailgate panel off and mounting the amp to the rear door frame. Then trying to get the panel to fit over top. Has anyone had the tailgate panel off and could tell me the depth between the panel and the door? I don't think it's flush, but, I haven't had it off yet. ChimChim's image (below) is giving me some ideas.
If it doesn't fit, I could be tempted to cut a hole in the panel in order to have amp fit thru. Better cooling if nothing else.



Is the D shaped area in the middle of the door on the right side, where the wire goes through the mat, an access hole to the interior of the door?

I didn't think about shock, but I'm not too concerned. Thanks for pointing that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
if you're really considering the rear door, you might take into consideration ventilation and adding more weight to the door which for me should have had some sort of damping shocks in the first place for those sudden wind or uphill parking
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vtr_rider said:
Yep, rear door/tailgate. I'm considering pulling the tailgate panel off and mounting the amp to the rear door frame. Then trying to get the panel to fit over top. Has anyone had the tailgate panel off and could tell me the depth between the panel and the door? I don't think it's flush, but, I haven't had it off yet. ChimChim's image (below) is giving me some ideas.
If it doesn't fit, I could be tempted to cut a hole in the panel in order to have amp fit thru. Better cooling if nothing else.



Is the D shaped area in the middle of the door on the right side, where the wire goes through the mat, an access hole to the interior of the door?

I didn't think about shock, but I'm not too concerned. Thanks for pointing that out.
With safety and all considered, tailgate mounting would actually be a logical choice if under-seat mounting is not possible.

I would cut through the metal to allow the amp to stick out for cooling purposes. Completely enclosing an amp would be a little problematic due to heat buildup.

Actually, I did once consider the tailgate, but didn't like the idea of having to cut through the plastic panel.

I hope it works out for you!
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bngski said:
if you're really considering the rear door, you might take into consideration ventilation and adding more weight to the door which for me should have had some sort of damping shocks in the first place for those sudden wind or uphill parking
Indeed. Unlike the CR-V, the RAV4 doesn't have damping shocks. Cutting out the plastic would be necessary for cooling purposes.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top