Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to put Amsoil ATF in my 1997 4-Door 4WD. I have read conflicting reports. On the Amsoil site they say that is will be compatible with "Toyota Type T". However, I have seen newsgroups saying that it would be bad for the transmission.

So here are my questions -

1 - What thoughts/experiences have you RAV'rs had with Amsoil ATF?

2 - Is there a documented procedure for flushing the trans and replacing it with Synthetic fluids?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quite frankly buddy, dont mess with the Auto Tranny Fluid...... I too have read many reports about after-market fluids buggering up the tranny.

I will be sticking with the Type T fluid, its not expensive and it works fine so I'm not going to muck with it :shock:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not an oil expert but I have seen it said more then once that synthetic oil is just too slippery for auto trannies and screws up their operation .

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a problem with my fluid and the investigation I did seemed to point to the fact you can only ever use Toyota T-IV and under NO circumstances use anything else - not even in emergencies

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know this may sound a little alarmist but if you haven't already changed your tranny fluid don't use amsoil. use used thier high grade synthetic stuff exclusivly in two of our vehicles (including now my rav4). we bought so much my dad because a rep and dealer. long story short at identical milleage on both our 97 vortech 454 in a chevy suburban and my 96 3s-fe in the rav4 our engines died. at roughly 100000 miles. we had two different mechanics look at the engines and found that viscosity breakdown had warped the cyclender walls and both had devoloped fatal blowby. $3000 dollars latter for me and $4500 for my dad we use valvoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts