Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Alex's reviews are the best out there. I wish more reviewers were this thorough. His RAV4 Hybrid review is coming soon too! He also has a lot of great videos on cars that fit (or don't fit) child car seats. Something most reviewers completely neglect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The child car seat situation is a HUGE deal to my wife and me. It's actually one of the primary reasons we went with a Rav4 over a Mazda CX-5!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I actually thought the review could be more thorough and was incomplete. He did talk about the engine, seats, etc BUT he totally ignored all the safety features (Advanced Technology Package and TSS), which IMO makes the 2016 Rav4 so much better overall than the other similarly priced competitors. These features are difference makers to many people.

He mentioned the 4 cameras and the radar cruise control but a demonstration of the BSM, showing the topview camera image, showing the 360 view, showing the LDA, etc would have helped, especially since the video was 24 minutes and he seemed to repeat himself several times.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Hopefully he'll offer more on the safety features in the Hybrid review.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still believe it is the most thorough video review compared to all others I've seen to date.

I actually thought the review could be more thorough and was incomplete. He did talk about the engine, seats, etc BUT he totally ignored all the safety features (Advanced Technology Package and TSS), which IMO makes the 2016 Rav4 so much better overall than the other similarly priced competitors. These features are difference makers to many people.

He mentioned the 4 cameras and the radar cruise control but a demonstration of the BSM, showing the topview camera image, showing the 360 view, showing the LDA, etc would have helped, especially since the video was 24 minutes and he seemed to repeat himself several times.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Interesting and reasonably thorough review, although I don't always agree with his priorities in his letter grade evaluations. Apart from the review, if I were going to spend the amount of money which the RAV he reviewed cost, I would more likely opt for a comparably priced Hyundai V6 Santa Fe, and I wouldn't need to spend a bundle of more cash for an extended VSA if I wanted one since Hyundai has a much better warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't buy cars based on their warranties...I do consider their history of quality and reliability. Hard to beat Toyota & Honda on that though the years. Would you buy a Chrysler product because they come with a 5 yr/100k warranty? Not me.

However, my local Toyota dealer gives a (limited) 20 yr/200k powertrain warranty on new cars.

Interesting and reasonably thorough review, although I don't always agree with his priorities in his letter grade evaluations. Apart from the review, if I were going to spend the amount of money which the RAV he reviewed cost, I would more likely opt for a comparably priced Hyundai V6 Santa Fe, and I wouldn't need to spend a bundle of more cash for an extended VSA if I wanted one since Hyundai has a much better warranty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Finally someone willing to stick their neck out and say, Yes! the ride quality (A+) and the cabin noise (B+) are improved in this 2016 refresh. Two areas RAV owners have most routinely railed about.

I also like how he points out reliability and resale value are important to RAV owners. Those factors certainly influence my next car decision. But I will try out the CX-5 just cause he likes it seemingly for the overall value and fun factor.

It was also nice he kept coming back to mentioning the Hybrid--as MPG king of the class, obviously, and big improvement in acceleration. Looking forward to that review.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jinx.

I just published an extremely thorough 7,000+ word blog post about the 2016 Toyota RAV4 here:
29 tips, secrets and surprises about the new Toyota RAV4

I would love to get your feedback - positive or constructive criticism.
You mention the key fob with the keyless start, and to get a cheap key made in case you ever get locked out..... Well, I have got good news: it is virtually impossible to lock the key fob in the car and get locked out ....I tried it and couldn't do it. The car knows that the fob is inside and will refuse to lock the doors. This is with the keyless start system fob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You mention the key fob with the keyless start, and to get a cheap key made in case you ever get locked out..... Well, I have got good news: it is virtually impossible to lock the key fob in the car and get locked out ....I tried it and couldn't do it. The car knows that the fob is inside and will refuse to lock the doors. This is with the keyless start system fob.
Excellent. Yes, I forgot about this nifty feature.

I just added this to my post.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you try and leave the key fob inside. From the driver door use the lock button. Then close the door. Would that be able to lock the doors or the doors will unlock after you close the door?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you try and leave the key fob inside. From the driver door use the lock button. Then close the door. Would that be able to lock the doors or the doors will unlock after you close the door?

In my 2006 Prius that would lock the key in the car. Not sure about the 2016 Rav4. If you want to try it, have someone sit in the car to unlock it (or use the manual key).

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my 2006 Prius that would lock the key in the car. Not sure about the 2016 Rav4. If you want to try it, have someone sit in the car to unlock it (or use the manual key).
Come to think about my question. There is a way to open the doors since there is a button to open the cargo door. Since the key is inside that door will open and end up unlocking all doors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are many many 2016 rav4 reviews on youtube. There is one I found from someone in Russia and the car isn't quite like what we have here in the states but similar enough. The reviewer is hard to hear sometimes but he pretty much goes through almost all the features of the car, including the navigation, seat controls, etc. The Russian versions of Rav4 have heated steering wheel and automatic folding side mirrors. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes.... The doors won't lock with the fob inside.... I have the smart system for starting (push button)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have always like Alex on autos reviews on youtube. I think he is one of the better reviewers on it. I have not looked at the 16 model. I did sit in the sport version and really like the power driver seat options. Since I only have the 13 model le. the one i sat in had a price of almost 30k. I do not really know the options on it to make it that much. But again for that price I think i am getting a sedan. what brand who knows. I am not into putting alot of cash into suv since do not have family. Its nice to put things in it for the storage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts