Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to order a new alternator, mine died, it was marginal before it was laid up for a long time!

I replaced my old 90 amp model with a 145 amp so that when I'm using it for an on-the-road office it will provide plenty of juice. The 145 was about the same price as the 90s, I just hope that it's quiet electronically speaking.

See link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaOEFUMmRkZjBGb28

More delays!

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
Good info but I hope the connections are heavy enough to handle the extra amperes. I installed a high output 200A one on my F-250 but was suspicious of it using the stock 1/4" terminal. Sure enough when I tried to power a large inverter the terminal soon cooked.
Of course it all depends on the load you're running and office type electronics doesn't draw much current.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run my inverter directly off the battery through a fused connection to prevent burning circuits or blowing fuses. I use a pure sine wave 600 watt inverter, keeps up with my computer and printer/scanner and any rechargeables. I usually use a small 1000w generator so I don't have to idle my engine but at times I need to use the computer and other things without taking the time to set up or lug around the generator and at those times I use the inverter and I start the car and run it about every 30 minutes until my charge is full.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
It's going to be cranking out the amps while recharging the battery & running the inverter so I'd keep a check on your power wires & connections.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wiring upgrade to accommodate the 145 amp alternator.

I got everything in to complete the 2 gauge wiring upgrade and I installed the following:

Positive side:
- Alternator to battery breaker
- Both battery breakers to breaker box
- Replaced battery terminals

Negative side:
- Battery ground point to intake manifold
- Intake manifold to firewall
- Battery ground point to right engine hook (left and right is from the driver perspective not from looking at the engine from the front of the car)
- Right engine hook to alternator bracket
- Right engine hook to left engine hook
- Left engine hook to transmission ground point
- Transmission ground point to frame

Parts and special tools:
2 AWG Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 VOLT COMBO PACK - BLACK+RED - 10 FEET OF EACH COLOR - EWCS Spec - Made in the USA! - amazon.com
Allstar ALL76120 24K Gold Solid Brass Top Mount Style Plated Battery Terminals - amazon.com
URBEST®610 Pcs Assorted Heat Shrink Tube 5 Colors 12 Sizes Tubing Wrap Sleeve Set Combo - amazon.com
Install Bay Copper Ring Terminal 2 Gauge 3/8 Inch 10 Pack - CUR238 - amazon.com
Install Bay Copper Ring Terminal 2 Gauge 5/16 Inch 10 Pack - CUR2516 - amazon.com
Forney 57637 Lug Crimping Tool - amazon.com
Dielectric grease, tube - local purchase

Notes:
Dielectric grease was used at all connections including the crimped fittings
Ground points were cleaned
The belt was new so it wasn't replaced
Chafe areas had split wire loom installed to protect the cables
Shrink tubing was installed on the terminal crimp points

This should resolve any issues that may have developed from installing the 145 amp alternator.

This project is complete.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this thread helps anyone, leave a comment and let me know if you made any improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery went out so I also upgraded my battery to an Odyssey 65-PC1750T Battery
Specs:

PHCA**.....CCA*.....HCA.....MCA.....Nominal............Nominal..........Reserve .......Length............Width...........Height..........Weight
(5 sec.)............................. .........Capacity............Capacity.........Capacity.....Inches/MM......Inches/MM.....Inches/MM......Lbs/KG
............................................(20 Hr Rate-Ah)..(10 Hr Rate-Ah)....Minutes..............................................................................
1750..........950......1350....1070.........74....................65................135........11.83/300.5.....7.2/182.9......7.43/188.7.....58.0/26.3

See - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaNVhmRUNZUWsxZFU

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts