Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a bit of anxiety, I went ahead and ordered an android based aftermarket Headunit. #1 requirement was Android Auto and CarPlay. I did not care about wireless or not. I will always plug my handset in if it is being used by the HU. #2 Factory look with easy install. I also wanted a HU with more configure-ability and then all the usual stuff. Nothing extra special.
My Rav4 spec: 2019 XES Hybrid. Not JBL

I ordered the Dasaita 10.2 MAX6 for 2019 Rav4. Listed as: “Dasaita 10.2" IPS screen Android 9.0 Car Multimedia for Toyota RAV4 Radio 2018 2019 TDA7850 GPS Bluetooth HDMI Car Stereo MAX6”
With the option of “Build-in carplay”
From Aliexpress. Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000028811487.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4djFZXcH
NOTE: to get the built-in carplay you pick the color option. Yes, I was suspicious but it all worked.
I had it shipped DHL and it arrived to the US - West Coast in 3 days. I was very surprised by this as Aliexpress said to allow 7 days before a shipping manifest would be created.
Package arrived in good order and the HU was well packed and in perfect shape.

Remove factory. Taking the factory HU out is quite easy. You will need some type of plastic prying tool, I used a bike tire lever. Here is the youtube vid reference (bolts are 10mm)
the vid glosses over pulling the trim. I just fitted the PLASTIC lever into the crack by pushing down the soft dash the poping it up around the edges. No issues no broken tabs.

Factory/New comparison

Make mounts. The Dasaita does not come with brackets. I knew this going in so no surprise. I think the reason is when you mount the trims all back in place it might hold fine. I wasn’t willing to risk this. I went to Lows and bought a wood construction bracket with 90deg bends in it, a pack of M4-.7pan head machine screws and 5 MM locking washers. Took some measurements of the factory HU and started cutting the bracket with my angle grinder.

NOTE my Dasaita had a bar code label over one of its mounting holes. When I pulled it back I noticed the screw depth was limited. So I cut that mounting screw to about 6mm and made sure it didn’t penetrate the chassis. This is my final bracket design.

Test fit: I wired up the factory harness to the supplied harness. Just a matter of elimination. Plugged it into the Dasaita and to my surprise, it all worked just as expected.
Prep for final install: You will need to take the trim piece off the back of the factory Hu. This is done by removing the 6 small screws on the backside. when the screws are out you will need to take the plastic tool and pry the radio from the trim. This will pop off just like the dash trim.

First, attach the homemade mounting brackets to the new HU. Then remove the little red clips left behind on the factory HU and put them on the new HU. You will then be able to slide the trim under the bracket and snap it into place. Pic shows the new HU brackets installed and the red clips transferred

Mounting the mic and GPS antenna. The Dasaita comes with its own. I considered trying to find harnesses to use the factory components but I decided I wasn't going to make this be a problem until I found it to be a problem. So far it's not a problem. I mounted the GPS antenna using the sticky tape to the underside of the dash just to the right of where the HU would be after it is inserted into the dash. It's fairly tight and I didn't want the HU to bump into it so its off to the side.

I mounted the mic on the black plastic of the front-facing camera trim. It's hardly noticeable and seems to be well-positioned for when I make phone calls.

NOTE: the mic cable is too short to route above the window so I purchased this extension from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M98EYRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01 6’ was just right. I used a piece of wire to find a route down into the drivers side behind the dash and then over to the left side kick panel. I then routed the cable behind the weatherstrip then in the gap between the headliner and plastic pillar trim then along the headliner in front of the windshield. You can't see the cable until it pops out of the headliner to the mic position.

The new two extra USBs. I decided to replace the 12 volt plug in the cubby in front of the shifter with a Dual USB receptacle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY1WDIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

To access the cubby, use the pride tool and lift the shift trim from the front. This will unclip and uncover the underlapping cubby trey. You can then use the pride tool to work the cubby tray out. This was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. Then just disconnect the harnesses. Getting the lighter plug out was a pain so I ended up cutting the two plastic clips that hold the plug in place with a razor knife. I won't be able to reinstall this to go back to stock but I'm not concerned about that. And if I did need to I could glue it back in place.

I then passed the two new USBs from the HU opening between the white vent ductwork and out to the back of the cubby and installed the new plug.

Installing the new HU. Probably the easiest part. Just plugged everything in. The new harness adds quite a bit of wire bundle so you need to push it to the sides under the dash as you're sliding the radio in. Once in bolted in place and reassemble the trim pieces.

Conclusion. There is very little documentation on how any of this works so you really do need to muddle through it. It has come out really nice and wasn't that challenging. I spent a few nights after work to finish. I am now able to use Android auto with no problem and my wife can use her Apple carplay. I also like the fact that I can plug a USB stick into one of the accessory USB outlets and have access to music that way. I have a loaded up a stick and just leave it plugged in. You will also want to connect it to Wi-Fi if you can use your home Wi-Fi that's great if not you will have to set up a hotspot with your phone. This will allow Android to update all of the apps on the head unit itself. I will report back after I have a bit more time with the unit but so far I couldn’t be happier.

Here it is - Android Auto running in a 2019 Rav4

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks very much for your efforts in reporting your install. Details are appreciated. Look forward to hearing your findings after you've lived with it for a while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Couple questions. Can you show a picture of the side and behind the radio? Does SiriusXM still work? Is there an Hybrid screens showing power usage like the old radio?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple questions. Can you show a picture of the side and behind the radio? Does SiriusXM still work? Is there an Hybrid screens showing power usage like the old radio?
I already had this pic. LMK if other angles would be more helpful and I will take them

No XM support.
It does have hybrid screens. The animation is not as "refind" as stock. It also has data screens but I have not dived deep into them yet. I will take some pics and post later. I also have not looked into it yet but there could be some interesting hybrid apps on the Playstore. The system is connected into the CAN bus so it has access to all the vehicle data. This is how the door open display and rear camera work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does the unit retain the vehicle customization function the original head unit provides? (page 682 of the user manual).

For instance, via the original head unit you can configure the system to:
  • auto set the parking brake when shifted to Park
  • set interior lights turn off delay
  • auto lock doors based on vehicle speed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the unit retain the vehicle customization function the original head unit provides? (page 682 of the user manual).

For instance, via the original head unit you can configure the system to:
  • auto set the parking brake when shifted to Park
  • set interior lights turn off delay
  • auto lock doors based on vehicle speed
It does not seem to support these settings. There is an advanced menu that gets you into some "more generic" settings on the CAN bus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did they send you get the right usb adapter with the radio to use the oem usb
Yes, included was an adapter from stock Toyota to aftermarket. This plugged into a specific location on the HU and is the plug you would use for carplay.
A second plug with 2 USBs was also included and this plugged into a separate spot on the HU. Any 3 of these USBs can be used for Android Auto.

In the pic of the USBs above you can see the gray cable is plugged into the factory USB. That is an iPhone cable and the red cable is USBC for my Android phone.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is the sound better or worse than stock?

Dasaita barely pushes out @20W according to the above video so it will not be any better than stock. External amp is almost mandatory if you have invested in decent aftermarket speakers.

Damn, I'm still partial to the 9" Sony even though the review video makes a very strong case for the Dasaita!:oops:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Dasaita barely pushes out @20W according to the above video so it will not be any better than stock. External amp is almost mandatory if you have invested in decent aftermarket speakers.

Damn, I'm still partial to the 9" Sony even though the review video makes a very strong case for the Dasaita!:oops:
Adding an amp and or aftermarket speakers will make this system sound better. Plugging this aftermarket HU into the stock system defiantly sounds better the stock HU in the stock system

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it worth it getting an android aftermarket radio?
It has been absolutely worth it to me. Having access to the Android Play store is great. My main use is AA using waze or google maps with the radio or USB music. I put a bunch of music on a 128G USB drive and keep it plugged into the HUs 3rd USB port. I use Double Twist Music player, installed from the play store.
I have also installed carwebguru as a launcher and have been able to clean up and simplify the interface.
Very happy so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, thank you for the review. Does it support the factory front and rear parking sensors?
Hi, my RAV4 doesn't have parking sensors so I'm not sure. Also I have not seen anything in the information I have looked at. Sorry, not much help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Jim, thanks for sharing.
Do you have the photos of wiring connections by chance or notes?
I was trying to install same head unit but there are 2 factory connectors which I couldn't figure out where to connect (attached photo) also couldn't make reverse camera to work.
Head unit.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I bought the same HU and was wandering if all the plugs got plug into the new harness of the Dasaita HU? I tried to install the factory plugs into the Dasaita HU harness and one of the factory plugs didn't fit is that ok? Is yours the same?

·
Registered
22 Posts
With a bit of anxiety, I went ahead and ordered an android based aftermarket Headunit. #1 requirement was Android Auto and CarPlay. I did not care about wireless or not. I will always plug my handset in if it is being used by the HU. #2 Factory look with easy install. I also wanted a HU with more configure-ability and then all the usual stuff. Nothing extra special.

I ordered the Dasaita 10.2 MAX6 for 2019 Rav4. Listed as: “Dasaita 10.2" IPS screen Android 9.0 Car Multimedia for Toyota RAV4 Radio 2018 2019 TDA7850 GPS Bluetooth HDMI Car Stereo MAX6”
From Aliexpress. Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000028811487.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4djFZXcH
NOTE: to get the built-in carplay you pick the color option. Yes, I was suspicious but it all worked.
I had it shipped DHL and it arrived to the US - West Coast in 3 days. I was very surprised by this as Aliexpress said to allow 7 days before a shipping manifest would be created.
View attachment 147205 View attachment 147206
Remove factory. Taking the factory HU out is quite easy. You will need some type of plastic prying tool, I used a bike tire lever. Here is the youtube vid reference (bolts are 10mm)
the vid glosses over pulling the trim. I just fitted the PLASTIC lever into the crack by pushing down the soft dash the poping it up around the edges. No issues no broken tabs.

Factory/New comparison
View attachment 147208

Make mounts. The Dasaita does not come with brackets. I knew this going in so no surprise. I think the reason is when you mount the trims all back in place it might hold fine. I wasn’t willing to risk this. I went to Lows and bought a wood construction bracket with 90deg bends in it, a pack of M4-.7pan head machine screws and 5 MM locking washers. Took some measurements of the factory HU and started cutting the bracket with my angle grinder.

NOTE my Dasaita had a bar code label over one of its mounting holes. When I pulled it back I noticed the screw depth was limited. So I cut that mounting screw to about 6mm and made sure it didn’t penetrate the chassis. This is my final bracket design.
View attachment 147209
View attachment 147210

Test fit: I wired up the factory harness to the supplied harness. Just a matter of elimination. Plugged it into the Dasaita and to my surprise, it all worked just as expected.
Prep for final install: You will need to take the trim piece off the back of the factory Hu. This is done by removing the 6 small screws on the backside. when the screws are out you will need to take the plastic tool and pry the radio from the trim. This will pop off just like the dash trim.

First, attach the homemade mounting brackets to the new HU. Then remove the little red clips left behind on the factory HU and put them on the new HU. You will then be able to slide the trim under the bracket and snap it into place. Pic shows the new HU brackets installed and the red clips transferred
View attachment 147211
Mounting the mic and GPS antenna. The Dasaita comes with its own. I considered trying to find harnesses to use the factory components but I decided I wasn't going to make this be a problem until I found it to be a problem. So far it's not a problem. I mounted the GPS antenna using the sticky tape to the underside of the dash just to the right of where the HU would be after it is inserted into the dash. It's fairly tight and I didn't want the HU to bump into it so its off to the side.

I mounted the mic on the black plastic of the front-facing camera trim. It's hardly noticeable and seems to be well-positioned for when I make phone calls.

NOTE: the mic cable is too short to route above the window so I purchased this extension from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M98EYRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01 6’ was just right. I used a piece of wire to find a route down into the drivers side behind the dash and then over to the left side kick panel. I then routed the cable behind the weatherstrip then in the gap between the headliner and plastic pillar trim then along the headliner in front of the windshield. You can't see the cable until it pops out of the headliner to the mic position.
View attachment 147212

The new two extra USBs. I decided to replace the 12 volt plug in the cubby in front of the shifter with a Dual USB receptacle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY1WDIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

To access the cubby, use the pride tool and lift the shift trim from the front. This will unclip and uncover the underlapping cubby trey. You can then use the pride tool to work the cubby tray out. This was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. Then just disconnect the harnesses. Getting the lighter plug out was a pain so I ended up cutting the two plastic clips that hold the plug in place with a razor knife. I won't be able to reinstall this to go back to stock but I'm not concerned about that. And if I did need to I could glue it back in place.

I then passed the two new USBs from the HU opening between the white vent ductwork and out to the back of the cubby and installed the new plug.
View attachment 147213

Installing the new HU. Probably the easiest part. Just plugged everything in. The new harness adds quite a bit of wire bundle so you need to push it to the sides under the dash as you're sliding the radio in. Once in bolted in place and reassemble the trim pieces.

Conclusion. There is very little documentation on how any of this works so you really do need to muddle through it. It has come out really nice and wasn't that challenging. I spent a few nights after work to finish. I am now able to use Android auto with no problem and my wife can use her Apple carplay. I also like the fact that I can plug a USB stick into one of the accessory USB outlets and have access to music that way. I have a loaded up a stick and just leave it plugged in. You will also want to connect it to Wi-Fi if you can use your home Wi-Fi that's great if not you will have to set up a hotspot with your phone. This will allow Android to update all of the apps on the head unit itself. I will report back after I have a bit more time with the unit but so far I couldn’t be happier.

View attachment 147215
Just a quick question, Did the brackets from the OEM headunit not work with Dasaita?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Factory/New comparison
View attachment 147208

View attachment 147209
View attachment 147210

View attachment 147211

View attachment 147212

View attachment 147213

View attachment 147215

Factory/New comparison
View attachment 147208

View attachment 147209
View attachment 147210

View attachment 147211

View attachment 147212

View attachment 147213

View attachment 147215
Just a quick question, Did the brackets from the O

Factory/New comparison
View attachment 147208

View attachment 147209
View attachment 147210

View attachment 147211

View attachment 147212

View attachment 147213

View attachment 147215
I just heard from the man at Toyota that they will be able to retro fit CarPlay to the european 2019s in May 2020. You already have this so you have a bit of a lead on us. Carplay not being standard has really been a pain ffor the European buyers and glad they are finally sorting this out... Fixed the LED lighting now Ilumintaed window switches ;-)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts