Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions about the implementation of Android Auto on the 2020's. I'm looking at getting into an XLE Hybrid with all options (Weather, Convenience, and Audio Plus) and was wondering if the Android Auto works the same on the RAV4 as it does on our 2018 Tiguan. Actually, I imagine it must be largely similar on most vehicles at this price point, but wanted to check.

I stream Spotify and TuneIn radio constantly in the car, but I really don't like the extra step of plugging and unplugging the phone every time I get in and out. So, I'm going to assume that in the RAV4 I'll still be hollering (or speaking politely) directly at my phone to ask either Google Assistant or Alexa to find a song, artist or station over bluetooth, rather than somehow using the voice command on the car.

Also, I'm a bit curious about the navigation. I'd ideally like to use Google Assistant/Maps during longer trips, but wondered about the stock "Dynamic Navigation" on the Limited (which I will likely be missing out on since I'm pretty stuck on getting the XLE, and it's only on the higher trims afaik). I know the stock Scout nav has boosters and detracters, but how do people feel about the ease of use of Google vs the built-in systems?

Lastly, how is texting/calling for people on the Entune 3.0 system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found the Entune 3.0 apps to be pretty much useless, I wasn't even able to get it to work on Android 9 with their mapping solution. When you plug Android into the head unit via USB, an option to connect via Android Auto shows up on the dash. Once that's clicked the "map" button immediately brings up Google Maps as if it was a native feature of the vehicle and I believe (but not 100% sure) that the "apps" button brings up a list of the apps on the phone that are Android Auto compatible. In any event, I can select Spotify on the Android Auto home screen and everything works as expected. There's no wireless Android Auto over Bluetooth.

If I leave my phone unplugged or in a power-only USB port, I can use the vehicle's voice recognition to say "Bluetooth" and it will switch to Bluetooth Audio. The last 'audio app' on the phone that was used (e.g. Spotify) will start, even if it had been fully closed. In Spotify's case, it picks up right where it left of. I had to go into Android Developer mode (which is super easy to do) and upgrade the AVRCP version to the latest (1.5 or 1.6?) to get track/album/artist information to show up on the dash. Skip ahead and skip back work. Switching out of Bluetooth Audio via the car (e.g. "USB") will automatically pause Spotify on the phone.

I haven't tried using the steering wheel controls to interact with Google Assistant. The manual only mentions it working with Apple Siri when long pressing the "end call" button on the steering wheel, and when I tried that on my device Cortana (via Microsoft Launcher) didn't come up. There's a scattering of reports of Google Assistant working that way in a RAV4, but somehow I strongly doubt it works - at least with Android Auto off.

Phone calls work great. I can put four contacts right on the home screen of the dash or call someone via name in the contact list. Texting is a bit more hit or miss - it will tell me when incoming texts arrives and I believe there's a voice command to have it read back via text-to-speech, but there's no full outbound texting via speech recognition. You only get to select from a list of precanned options. Not sure if that's different when in Android Auto mode though.

My system is a regular Entune 3.0 head unit - no Audio Plus or JBL Audio Premium. From what I know, Audio Plus doesn't add much except Remote Connect and that likely requires that terrible Entune 3.0 android app. If you like the other premium features - e.g. satellite safety, larger wheels, etc then there's nothing wrong with it, but I personally wouldn't pay extra just for Audio Plus. You get silver buttons and a slightly larger screen, no difference in audio quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of helpful information. Thanks for taking the time! It sounds like I'll be able to make things work reasonably well. The current/updated AVRCP version on my Google 4XL is actually 1.4, so maybe that's as high as it goes for now (?).

I wonder if the Wi-Fi Connect is locked down just for the paid Verizon hotspot thing. It's be nice if that wifi functionality was somehow available for CarPlay and Ardroid Auto, as it is in a few other cars.

I have one more question about visibility, but I'm going to post that in a separate thread. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts