Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a Google thing than a Toyota thing, but the below option seems to play nice with the Toyota infotainment and the setting is sorta buried, so was hoping this might be helpful to some folks who might not know about it.

Also this doesn't do anything to help our 2019 Rav4 brethren (pours one out for the homies). 🍺

Anyway, I was stuck in traffic today and was tinkering in the various settings menus while gridlocked and noticed a new option in the Settings app that hadn't been there previously for me.

It allows us to change how Android Auto behaves when we plug our phones into the USB port.

Up until now if I plugged my Pixel in before starting the car Android Auto would auto load on the infotainment, if I plugged in my Pixel after starting the car, I would just get the banner message "Android Auto is connected" and I would have to hit Menu -> Android Auto to launch it.

This new setting, once changed, now always switches the infotainment to Android Auto when plugging in without having to navigate the menus or hitting the physical buttons on the head unit.

I'm in the Android Auto beta program running a bleeding edge version, so I'm not sure if it will be there for everyone but wanted to share all the same. Less button pushing while driving is a good thing IMHO. 🍻

In Android Auto launch the Settings app.
Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Display device Font

Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Start Android Auto automatically.
Audio equipment Gadget Output device Electronic device Technology

Change the setting to your desired behavior. The one selected in the pic is the behavior I describe above.
Communication Device Output device Electronic instrument Audio equipment Flat panel display

·
Registered
839 Posts
That's super useful thanks. Was about to post asking the question about how to change the behaviour since I keep having to faff through the head unit.

But... youtube music does start through android auto automatically already. It appears in the little window on the home screen. But if I want google maps or want to do assistant voice I got to go into the options on the head unit to select android auto.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts