Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Talked to the dealer where we have bought all of our extended family cars (6). During my second scheduled service, I was told by Service Manager that it'll be most likely be an update to AA on the 2019s and cost splitting would be involved. This is how they updated the older 2018 camrys to CarPlay.

Let's hope this is all true.
Let's hope so. I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade. Do you know if it's just AA that can be upgraded or can we also upgrade to Toyota Connect services?

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you go to the Interior Section there is some discussion on this.
They seem to be doing the update in Australia to the 2019's
For Android Auto .
Don't know if the rest of it is better.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you go to the Interior Section there is some discussion on this.
They seem to be doing the update in Australia to the 2019's
For Android Auto .
Don't know if the rest of it is better.
Yes, but I believe the head units for Australia and Europe are different than the ones for the U.S. and Canada. So far, there hasn't been any confirmation on this side of the pond that Toyota will be upgrading the 2019 RAVs with Android Auto (or, in Canada, AA and Toyota Connect since both were not available in 2019 MY).

·
Registered
13 Posts
The head unit firmware is specified by the market so Toyota of North America would be making the decision. It is possible the North American vs rest of world head units may not support AA even though the hardware spec is the same. Some of the firmware is more difficult or impossible to update in these units. So if an update wasn't planned for in the beginning it may not be possible in North America.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Talked to the dealer where we have bought all of our extended family cars (6). During my second scheduled service, I was told by Service Manager that it'll be most likely be an update to AA on the 2019s and cost splitting would be involved. This is how they updated the older 2018 camrys to CarPlay.

Let's hope this is all true.
That would be an acceptable option. I hope it comes to pass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just at my dealership in Canada and spoke to a few of the salesmen and staff. All have said Toyota is working on retrofitting AA into 2019 models. There have been a lot of inquiries regarding AA and with good reason. Keep your fingers crossed, but seems like this is trending in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now that the 2020s will come with AA, wondering if we will be able to update our 2019s to it. Or if not, replace the factory head unit with a 2020 head unit?

Discuss and thanks guys!
I have been in touch with Toyota Canada and Toyota USA. They both have no plans to offer an Android Auto Retrofit. Despite the fact that I pointed Toyota Australia is already offering it.
They won't admit it but it's not that the tech won't work on older vehicles. It's that they don't have the license to put it on older vehicles. Either because they don't want to pay for it or Google is punishing them for getting on board with Android Auto so late.

I have started a FB page (Toyota Android Auto Retrofit) and Instagram (toyota.androidauto.retrofit) to petition them. I plan to post daily until it is offered. Please Like/Follow and express your own frustration with the decision. Use the #AAToyotaRetrofit.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Toyota Europe and Australia have different head units than North America, they've never used the Entune system, so don't get your hopes up that NA will ever get an AA upgrade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota Europe and Australia have different head units than North America, they've never used the Entune system, so don't get your hopes up that NA will ever get an AA upgrade.
The head unit for the NA 2020 model of my NA 2019 car is exactly the same. The 2020 has Android Auto. The 2019 does not. It's not a tech issue. It is definitely a license issue.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The head unit for the NA 2020 model of my NA 2019 car is exactly the same. The 2020 has Android Auto. The 2019 does not. It's not a tech issue. It is definitely a license issue.
They may look the same as do other countries, but if you look at how those function, they're totally different systems. Good luck with your efforts, you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
556 Posts
I spoke with my dealership last month about purchasing a 2020 head unit to put in my 2019. They looked up the parts and found the head unit in the 2020 uses a different wiring harness/connections than the 2019 and I was told it was not compatible/doable.

So the realist in me is slowly coming to terms with being hosed on ever seeing AA in my 2019... The inner child in me however is hoping santa will squeeze his @$$ down my chimney and hand me some 2019 AA goodness one day.

?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I spoke with my dealership last month about purchasing a 2020 head unit to put in my 2019. They looked up the parts and found the head unit in the 2020 uses a different wiring harness/connections than the 2019 and I was told it was not compatible/doable.

So the realist in me is slowly coming to terms with being hosed on ever seeing AA in my 2019... The inner child in me however is hoping santa will squeeze his @$$ down my chimney and hand me some 2019 AA goodness one day.

?
Strange someone a while ago said that dealer could retrofit for $700 or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strange someone a while ago said that dealer could retrofit for $700 or so.

?
My insider source says that Toyota is 100% capable of putting Android Auto on 2019 models and other cars that have Entune 3.0. They just aren't legally allowed to because they don't have a licence for it. Either Google is saying no or Toyota doesn't want to pay for the licence. Either way, its consumers like us that suffer.

They aren't even allowed to put Android on the 2020 Corolla sedan because it was released before the deal with Google was signed. The 2020 Corolla Hatchback has it though. Try explaining that to a customer when selling the car. Toyota really needs to sort this out. I can't be that hard to get a retrofit deal with Google. They made one with Apple.

Corolla Sedan - No mention of Andorid Auto

Hacthback - Andorid Auto forth line down.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Toyota Canada has stated there are no plans for an AA upgrade.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I contacted Toyota Corporate. Here is their official response:

" We do not have, nor have there been any development of an Android Auto retrofit for any of our vehicles."

Regarding the update being made available in other countries: Vehicles produced for use outside of the United States (U.S.) market, while may share some similarities, vary from those produced and manufactured for use in the U.S."

I recommend everyone write Toyota at the following link and make their request known: Toyota FAQs | Send Questions to Toyota Customer Service

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE HYBRID
5 Posts
All this talk about Android Auto and such....has anyone except me got caught buying their rav4 ,that DOES NOT come with satellite radio.....everyone offers it usually with a free short term subscription, n to TOYOTA. I tried to buy an add on unit at Best Buy yesterday, and guess what ....NLA because they come with every car.....except Toyota.
Does anybody think the head unit would be plug and play, and available fromToyota ????

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,665 Posts
All this talk about Android Auto and such....has anyone except me got caught buying their rav4 ,that DOES NOT come with satellite radio.....everyone offers it usually with a free short term subscription, n to TOYOTA. I tried to buy an add on unit at Best Buy yesterday, and guess what ....NLA because they come with every car.....except Toyota.
Does anybody think the head unit would be plug and play, and available fromToyota ????
I suppose it depends on what model you bought and what options were available in your country. In the US, my last 4 Toyotas had Sirus XM with a free trial period. (They were top of the line with the extra infotanment option if available.)

I shudder at the cost of a swap out unless you bought from a totaled car and I wonder who would install it or where you would get the wiring differences and how it would be connected to the ECU and other Toyota features. Would almost take someone who know the way they talk to each other and I doubt a dealer is aable or willing. I have read of folks installing some aftermarket unit with the challenge getting all the Toyota specific settings and apps working. Use the search function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RAV4 model, 2019, hybrid.
It was actually the very first car imported to Macedonia (produced late 2018)
Android Auto retrofit - change of Microphone and software - 290 USD (240 euro).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts