Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please to gentle on me. LOL

I have a 2020 XLE and I have Android Auto up and running successfully. Navigation and Google Maps work great. My question is how to I get my music to play? I can't find it on my phone via the infotainment system. Is there a certain folder the music is supposed to go into? The best result I've had so far is pulling up the menu structure and seeing the artists' names, but no joy on actually playing any music. The car just acts like there's nothing there and every "song" defaults to exactly 6:00 minutes. I tried putting some songs in what I thought were obvious folders, but no luck. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy a10e, which is the "economy" version of the Galaxy S10. Any help would be MUCH appreciated since I can't play my music via USB thumb drive anymore since I lose that USB data port to the phone on Android Auto. Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have music files why not just transfer them to a thumb drive and plug it into the front USB.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 LE (Hybrid) AWD
38 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please to gentle on me. LOL

I have a 2020 XLE and I have Android Auto up and running successfully. Navigation and Google Maps work great. My question is how to I get my music to play? I can't find it on my phone via the infotainment system. Is there a certain folder the music is supposed to go into? The best result I've had so far is pulling up the menu structure and seeing the artists' names, but no joy on actually playing any music. The car just acts like there's nothing there and every "song" defaults to exactly 6:00 minutes. I tried putting some songs in what I thought were obvious folders, but no luck. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy a10e, which is the "economy" version of the Galaxy S10. Any help would be MUCH appreciated since I can't play my music via USB thumb drive anymore since I lose that USB data port to the phone on Android Auto. Thanks so much! :)
No worries, it's a popular dilemma so it's not just you.

I noticed that you mentioned it being an 2020 XLE RAV4, do you know which audio system package was equipped in the vehicle? If you still have the dealer sticker it will say in the right column if there is an Audio Package upgrade. Or if you want to PM me the last 8 of the VIN away from public view I can look it up and verify. If its just the standard audio package, your VIN isnt needed.

Also, are you using the OE music app on your android/Samsung music or something else like Pulsar or Rocket Player?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have music files why not just transfer them to a thumb drive and plug it into the front USB.
You'll find that answer delineated in my first post regarding using AA for navigation. Remember, there's only ONE USB port with data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries, it's a popular dilemma so it's not just you.

I noticed that you mentioned it being an 2020 XLE RAV4, do you know which audio system package was equipped in the vehicle? If you still have the dealer sticker it will say in the right column if there is an Audio Package upgrade. Or if you want to PM me the last 8 of the VIN away from public view I can look it up and verify. If its just the standard audio package, your VIN isnt needed.

Also, are you using the OE music app on your android/Samsung music or something else like Pulsar or Rocket Player?
Standard audio, no factory navigation, standard (smaller) screen, etc. As for the phone music player, whatever Samsung uses. I haven't installed any third party music players. I was hoping it would just work natively or, maybe, via Google.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
847 Posts
Do you see the Samsung music App on the Car's display? If so, press the App's icon on the car's display and see if it brings up your playlist. You have a playlist, correct?

Also, did you enable Android Auto on the phone's settings?

Standard audio, no factory navigation, standard (smaller) screen, etc. As for the phone music player, whatever Samsung uses. I haven't installed any third party music players. I was hoping it would just work natively or, maybe, via Google.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you see the Samsung music App on the Car's display?
I don't remember seeing it. I'll have to check again, but I did look at everything pretty thoroughly.

If so, press the App's icon on the car's display and see if it brings up your playlist. You have a playlist, correct?
Playlist? LOL I just throw a bunch of .mp3s into a folder.

Also, did you enable Android Auto on the phone's settings?
Yes. As I said, Google maps/nav works fine. The car is definitely recognizing and receiving from the phone.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
847 Posts
I have not used Android Auto yet but I think the purpose is to transfer the Apps that you see on your phone to your car's display. I don't think it makes all of your Apps available as I don't think you will be writing a word document while driving for example.

My point is that you probably need to use a music App that works with Android Auto, meaning that you see the App on the Car's display. I am only speculating, perhaps other here can confirm or perhaps you can test with Pandora, Spotify, as I am sure Android Auto supports those Apps if you have an account. Pandora has a free version.

I would open Pandora on the car's head unit and get that to work first as a test. Then I would find a compatible App to transfer your Mp3s into. Unless someone here can chime in and state that Android Auto can play Mp3s natively.

I don't remember seeing it. I'll have to check again, but I did look at everything pretty thoroughly.

Playlist? LOL I just throw a bunch of .mp3s into a folder.

Yes. As I said, Google maps/nav works fine. The car is definitely recognizing and receiving from the phone.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
310 Posts
Android Auto uses the default music player that is defined in the Google Assistant settings on your phone. A lot of phones now are coming with YouTube music as the default app and in my experience playing MP3s from your storage suck using this app. Google killed the Play Music app which was a great app as you could disable the online features and use it solely as an offline music player.

In my case I use an app called Black Player. It's free and specializes in playing the MP3s you copy to your phones storage with none of that online streaming garbage. You can make playlists too if that's your jam. The nice thing about Black Player is that it works with Android Auto. You'll need to set your music player as "Other" in the Google Assistant settings so it doesn't try to force open YouTube music (Or whatever Samsung's player is) for example.

Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
46 Posts
Google is no longer supporting their own music player. I deleted it and installed AIMP. When plugged in, the AIMP icon shows up on the screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help! I'll try all of that tomorrow. But, I still need to know one thing. Where do I put the actual .mp3 files? What folder and can it (hopefully) be on the SD card? LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Android Auto uses the default music player that is defined in the Google Assistant settings on your phone. A lot of phones now are coming with YouTube music as the default app and in my experience playing MP3s from your storage suck using this app.
I just checked and mine was set to Youtube as the default player. Thanks for that info as I never would have thought to check that. I had to drill down through several menus to even find it. I'll try one of the other third party players recommended here so, hopefully, one of those will work once I figure out where to actually put the music.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
310 Posts
I just checked and mine was set to Youtube as the default player. Thanks for that info as I never would have thought to check that. I had to drill down through several menus to even find it. I'll try one of the other third party players recommended here so, hopefully, one of those will work once I figure out where to actually put the music.
Yeah it's really annoying how many taps it takes to do some of this crap now. As for where to stick the MP3s, I have a Pixel and in the root of my storage is a folder called Music. I just dump them in there. I imagine if you have an SD card in yours you could make a Music folder in the root of that also and most players should pick it up. 🍻

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
46 Posts
Thanks for the help! I'll try all of that tomorrow. But, I still need to know one thing. Where do I put the actual .mp3 files? What folder and can it (hopefully) be on the SD card? LOL
Drag your music into the Audio file in your phone. You don't need an SD card. I've got 6gb of music on my phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drag your music into the Audio file in your phone. You don't need an SD card. I've got 6gb of music on my phone.
Cool. But, I only have a 2Gb internal memory. Why wouldn't I use the 32Gb SD card I already have in it? That's where all my photos go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Google is no longer supporting their own music player. I deleted it and installed AIMP. When plugged in, the AIMP icon shows up on the screen.
I went with AIMP and it worked. Thanks for the help! It was a little sketchy, but I got it up and running so hopefully that will be a repeatable experience since I'm not exactly sure what I did. I didn't actually see the AIMP icon but, when I switched the source to Android Auto, things started playing. At least I think that's what I did because I did a lot of tapping beforehand. LOL

Oh, and my music being in the "Music" folder on the SD card worked fine, too. I just had to point AIMD to that location. (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts