Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's true. Does Tesla have Android Auto or Carplay? A battery electric vehicle is going to be my next vehicle purchase though Toyota seems to be out of that game but Honda made an about turn with the BEV Clarity (ugly as sin but likely more reliable than a Tesla).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does Tesla have Android Auto or Carplay?
No. Friend has a Tesla. It has neither but does have it's own, far more advanced, interface. Auto & Carplay would be pointless, and useless, in Teslas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does it have a similar feature to Carplay?
Which feature would that be? Carplay runs select apps from the phone on the car display. Tesla can't run apps from your phone, but the car system has its own apps and can run those. It can stream music from your bluetooth connection to your phone, but it won't display apps from your phone.

Honestly, it makes Carplay and Auto look like a toy.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Which feature would that be? Carplay runs select apps from the phone on the car display. Tesla can't run apps from your phone, but the car system has its own apps and can run those. It can stream music from your bluetooth connection to your phone, but it won't display apps from your phone.

Honestly, it makes Carplay and Auto look like a toy.
How good is the navigation for the Tesla, does it include traffic monitoring found on Waze and Google Navs or did Tesla default to these apps?

·
Registered
57 Posts
How good is the navigation for the Tesla, does it include traffic monitoring found on Waze and Google Navs or did Tesla default to these apps?
Sadly, I have to say it's better. One thing you have to understand is all Teslas have a permanent cellular connection back to the mothership. They get frequent updates to everything computer controlled in the car. The OS is designed by people who understand technology, not a car manufacturer bolting on a computer (and mind you, I think the Toyota screen interface is adequate). The capabilities, well, it's like having a tablet there in the car. You can launch a web browser and surf the web, split screen it with HVAC or audio controls on one portion and something else on the other. It's slick. It can also be very distracting in my opinion. Yeah, it's ok for the passenger to surf the web while you're driving, but would not be good for the driver to do so.

My friend has a 75D, not even the top model. The console area touch screen is about a foot wide and 20" or so tall (I haven't measured it exactly) and is hi-resolution beautiful. Think someone stretched an iPad Air taller and wider and mounted it where your center console is. The screen where the gauges would be is probably 12" wide and 6" at the height (it is curved like a normal gauge area is) and just as good to look at. Both are customizable with what appears.

I'd rate my RAV4 Hybrid's display system a 6 out of 10 both on looks and features (not including Entune, which would drag it down to a 4). The Tesla is a 15 and makes me jealous.

·
Registered
846 Posts
^ But what about GPS navigation? I would be surprised if Tesla can actually come up with a better navigation (with traffic and rerouting)) device with Google's Waze and Google Map/Navigation having millions of real time user data.

·
Registered
57 Posts
^ But what about GPS navigation? I would be surprised if Tesla can actually come up with a better navigation (with traffic and rerouting)) device with Google's Waze and Google Map/Navigation having millions of real time user data.
Better? I don't know. You'd have to run a lot of metrics against both to determine who is "better". And you'd have to see who Tesla is sourcing their information from, could be Google for all we know. Where is my RAV getting it's information from, is it a good source? I don't know.

I did like the UI on the Tesla better than the RAV4, including the navigation. But I'm someone with a career in IT, maybe I'm pickier than someone else, maybe I'm less picky than another person too. If I could have the Tesla system in my RAV I'd certainly be happy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts