Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

441 - 460 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don’t you have the option to choose Auto sleep in Settings/Car/Extra settings/Shutdown delay when ACC off? That choice will make the HU to always warm boot, screen comes up instantly, that’s my choice.
Dude, you da man! Since "auto sleep" was above 30 seconds, I thought that meant that it turned off the radio when the car was off. "Auto Sleep" works like a champ. Thanks dude.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey folks, I've ordered an SYGAV one from Amazon and I have a few questions. Is the built-in microphone good enough? Is the screen glass or plastic? Has anyone hooked one up with a USB hot spot? Thanks.
The built in microphone is good as long as the placement is. Watch MisterKoll's video on installation and how he wired it to the same exact spot where your previous mic was. You can always upgrade the microphone, although I don't see a reason to upgrade as of yet. The screen is glass and there's a thread in xda that has recommended usb hot spot devices that work best with these android tablets.

can you connect/charge ipod on this head unit
Yes, you can. You can use the default usb hub's that are provided to charge or connect your device.

@JNova , the only Dasaita Android 9.0 radio i've found on their ebay page lists having 2gb ram / 16gb memory , can you confirm whether yours has that or if itis a copy error? The images all show Android 8.1 so it wouldn't surprise me if so.

Thanks!
They have screens as small as a 8 inch (which I would not recommend at all). Sizing of the screen still does not affect the standard resolution they provide (1024x600). You can also upgrade any of the Android softwares to the latest 9.0 following threads provided in XDA under the Android Auto section. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/. You're not missing out if you start from 8.0 and upgrade. Not much of a difference also.

The good news is other than maybe a cooling fan, there are no moving parts. I was a bit wary so I paid extra buying it from Amazon. I figured if there was a problem I could immediately return it rather than sending it back to China. The big car audio names have only a year warranty as well, so there's that as well. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If it doesn't work out there's always the stock radio.
I honestly don't think you need the cooling fan. Someone attempted creating one and it only brought more heat since its trapped air circulating within the board and the dash. Looking at the temperatures, these should do well in high heat, and the coldest of cold winters.

As for whoever asked regarding the calls and such, it is default. You have to sync your bluetooth data with your HU and it should be fine. Try messing with the bluetooth call settings. It works fine for me while I use my Iphone with it. You can always use a mod listed here to get what you're looking for: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development. I've had mine close to an year now and I love it.

To my fellow Dasita users, check this thread out: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/android-a9-ha-nice-one-bug-free-t3929412

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. I installed my px5 Dasaita/sygav unit many months ago and I'm pretty happy with it.

After checking the xda-forums, I noticed that an upgrade to Android 9 is now available (I'm running an Android 8 stock firmware now; it's 2.89 if I remember it well). I've tried to install it but unfortunately the unit doesn't seem to be able to boot from the 2Gb SD card that I've inserted in the small SD card reader that it's in the bottom of the unit (covered/hidden after the installation). And for this upgrade, booting from sd is mandatory (just plugging an USB key doesn't work).

Now I don't know if:

• this SD card reader is supposed to be "GPS SD card reader" that other MTCD/MTCE units have, or if it is just a normal "non-bootable-from" SD reader (with the unit powered, I can see the SD cards/files with an Android file explorer).
  • I'm just another one having problems with the (2 different) SD cards I've tried so far.
My question is: Has somebody with such a headunit been able to upgrade to Android 9?

Since this headunit has a very specific design for the Rav-4, I think it's better to ask here before seeking advice in the xda developers forums. Somebody there suggested that there was another SD card reader hidden under a sticker. I don't find that in mine (but I didn't completely remove the unit from the dashboard; I just popped it to access the bottom SD card reader, and quickly check the top and sides).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I didn't need to completely remove the unit from the dashboard to insert the SD cards. You just need the space for a couple of fingers to access it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all. I installed my px5 Dasaita/sygav unit many months ago and I'm pretty happy with it.

After checking the xda-forums, I noticed that an upgrade to Android 9 is now available (I'm running an Android 8 stock firmware now; it's 2.89 if I remember it well). I've tried to install it but unfortunately the unit doesn't seem to be able to boot from the 2Gb SD card that I've inserted in the small SD card reader that it's in the bottom of the unit (covered/hidden after the installation). And for this upgrade, booting from sd is mandatory (just plugging an USB key doesn't work).

Now I don't know if:

• this SD card reader is supposed to be "GPS SD card reader" that other MTCD/MTCE units have, or if it is just a normal "non-bootable-from" SD reader (with the unit powered, I can see the SD cards/files with an Android file explorer).
  • I'm just another one having problems with the (2 different) SD cards I've tried so far.
My question is: Has somebody with such a headunit been able to upgrade to Android 9?

Since this headunit has a very specific design for the Rav-4, I think it's better to ask here before seeking advice in the xda developers forums. Somebody there suggested that there was another SD card reader hidden under a sticker. I don't find that in mine (but I didn't completely remove the unit from the dashboard; I just popped it to access the bottom SD card reader, and quickly check the top and sides).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I didn't need to completely remove the unit from the dashboard to insert the SD cards. You just need the space for a couple of fingers to access it.

Hi!
As you seem to be reading at xda you maybe have seen that many HU:s has problem with the SD card slot, I’m one of them. If I get in to Recovery I can see that the SD card slot doesn’t even get mounted. So, for me it’s gone, can’t use it. Someone wrote at xda that in many HU:s the SD card slot is fake, in reality it’s USB port, that explains why it’s not useable for upgrading Recovery 8 to 9, you need to do that to be able to upgrade to Android 9.

But be patient! I have installed the Russian guy Hal9k custom rom and I know that he is developing a new Modinstaller that makes the SD card slot obsolete when upgrading/downgrading between Android 6/8/9. This information is not available at xda yet, I’ve read it at a Russian site, 4pda.ru. There is beta testing going on there, first reports say it’s working just fine. So, keep an eye at Hal9k thread at xda.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/rom-hal9k-rom-3-mtcd-e-head-units-t3847477

About the SD card reader hidden under a sticker, no, I don’t think so, guess that the one who wrote it meant below the sticker, which is true.

You wrote you have stock Android 8, v2.89. That is a misunderstanding, I think you are referring to MCU firmware v2.89. That is two different things, Android and MCU firmware has nothing to do with each other. Btw, you can update your MCU if you want to, latest is MTCE_HA_V3.10.
Latest Android 8 is Blue UI HA_px5_8.0_ota(20190428).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-android-head-units-general/dasaita-mcu-updates-rockchip-px5-octa-t3575155

·
Registered
6 Posts
@kupa: Thanks! I will keep an eye on Hal9k's thread (I was doing that already, I'm mostly interested in Android's 9 dual app interface - it seems that it's still not working anyway). I hope that we will be able to update at some point!

And yes: I'm using MCU 2.89. I was tempted many times to upgrade, but I see from the comments at xda developers that the occasional reverse/backup camera freeze that I experience is worse in later versions. Anyway, I'm starting to think that this is just a temperature related problem: During the cold winter months I had no problem, now it's starting again (twice this last week).

·
Registered
28 Posts
@kupa: Thanks! I will keep an eye on Hal9k's thread (I was doing that already, I'm mostly interested in Android's 9 dual app interface - it seems that it's still not working anyway). I hope that we will be able to update at some point!

And yes: I'm using MCU 2.89. I was tempted many times to upgrade, but I see from the comments at xda developers that the occasional reverse/backup camera freeze that I experience is worse in later versions. Anyway, I'm starting to think that this is just a temperature related problem: During the cold winter months I had no problem, now it's starting again (twice this last week).
Yes, the reverse/backup camera freeze happens to me to, but very seldom, maybe twice a month, still irritating. But for me it doesn’t happen more frequently on MTCE_HA_V3.10 as I can remember. Try MCU v3.10, you can always downgrade to earlier versions if you don’t like it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good news. Before giving up, I've tried once more with a fourth SD card (this time, incidentally, the one that came with the unit; I didn't use it before, since it contained the maps for the iGo navigation software). So I did a backup of this 8Gb card and followed exactly the instructions in this video (search for "Android Radio PX5 Android 9.0 Pie Upgrade (ENG)", I can't post links).

This time everything worked. I can thus confirm that: my unit has indeed a working "GPS SD card slot". This slot is in the bottom of the unit, close to the front edge (the bottom of the display), slightly to the left. And it is extremely picky about the SD card you use.

Now I have Android 9 up and running, along with MCU 3.10 (I updated that too). Nothing special in the first couple of rides (I had to update Google maps and didn't test all of the functions for sure). This build is still pretty unstable, according to the xda developers forums, so I'm ready to experience all the issues reported there (need for Wifi reconnection, clock time lost,...). I opted for the last build, (in xda-developers.com /android-auto / mtcd-android-head-units-general / dasaita-mcu-updates-rockchip-px5-octa-t3575155) labeled "PX5 HA_px5_9.0_ota(20190528)".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good news. Before giving up, I've tried once more with a fourth SD card (this time, incidentally, the one that came with the unit; I didn't use it before, since it contained the maps for the iGo navigation software). So I did a backup of this 8Gb card and followed exactly the instructions in this video (search for "Android Radio PX5 Android 9.0 Pie Upgrade (ENG)", I can't post links).

This time everything worked. I can thus confirm that: my unit has indeed a working "GPS SD card slot". This slot is in the bottom of the unit, close to the front edge (the bottom of the display), slightly to the left. And it is extremely picky about the SD card you use.

Now I have Android 9 up and running, along with MCU 3.10 (I updated that too). Nothing special in the first couple of rides (I had to update Google maps and didn't test all of the functions for sure). This build is still pretty unstable, according to the xda developers forums, so I'm ready to experience all the issues reported there (need for Wifi reconnection, clock time lost,...). I opted for the last build, (in xda-developers.com /android-auto / mtcd-android-head-units-general / dasaita-mcu-updates-rockchip-px5-octa-t3575155) labeled "PX5 HA_px5_9.0_ota(20190528)".
I would also look for the thread that also has an amp fix as well. Makes a huge difference in sound quality. I would provide the link but I wiped my web history by accident (using ccleaner :(). Search on the forum. Also when you update to the latest MCU, make sure you update the UI as well since they tend to go hand in hand. Should stop the freezing and the other issues that most users experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would also look for the thread that also has an amp fix as well. Makes a huge difference in sound quality. I would provide the link but I wiped my web history by accident (using ccleaner :(). Search on the forum. Also when you update to the latest MCU, make sure you update the UI as well since they tend to go hand in hand. Should stop the freezing and the other issues that most users experience.
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw these MTCE MCU SoundPatched Mods while reading at xda developer, but I was unsure if it would bring a real benefit. I’ll try it.

About the UI, I guess that I don’t need to update it, since I upgraded both the MCU to 3.10 AND the Android version to Pie.

BTW, since I removed the unit from the dasboard to do the upgrade more easily, I opened it and added a couple of “Raspberry-Pi like” heatsinks to the MCU metal enclosure and AMD chip. Its maybe just a coincidence, but I see some correlation between some issues (like reverse camera freeze and slower UI interaction) and external temperature.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys. Somewhat of a newbie but I purchased and installed a Dasaita 4/64 following MisterKoll's videos. Installed it almost exactly like he did. Great instructions.
Everything works except I now am having trouble turning on the Wifi on the car unit. When I initially installed it, Wifi worked just fine and I was able to browse the web and everything through the unit in the car. But now when I go to tap the Wifi button in settings, it doesn't switch to on.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I'm an iPhone guy so I don't know Android very well.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I never experienced that.

I'm not really sure if the WiFi hardware is located in the MCU or in the Android/px5 unit (your headunit is simplistically explained an Android tablet connected to an AV amplifier expansion board, with several other functions, called MCU). I'm betting that it is in the MCU, so in your case I would try updating the MCU firmware version.

Check your MCU version in Android settings (and double check that the version text contains "HA"), and if it's lower than 3.10 (my unit came with 2.89), give 3.10 a try. If the problem is hardware related, this will not solve it. If it's software/firmware related, maybe.

The latest Dasaita MCU and Android firmware versions can be found in the OP of the XDA developers thread "Dasaita - Latest MCU and Updates for Rockchip PX5 Octa-Core"[...].

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi guys. Somewhat of a newbie but I purchased and installed a Dasaita 4/64 following MisterKoll's videos. Installed it almost exactly like he did. Great instructions.
Everything works except I now am having trouble turning on the Wifi on the car unit. When I initially installed it, Wifi worked just fine and I was able to browse the web and everything through the unit in the car. But now when I go to tap the Wifi button in settings, it doesn't switch to on.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I'm an iPhone guy so I don't know Android very well.
Thanks
What version of the firmware are you running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Levin Varghese

I have Android 9.
MCU is MTCE_HA_V3.10_1
Kernel version is 4.4.167

Don't know if it matters, but I have a PX6 and not a PX5

I also saw there is a V3.14 MCU on the forum @m_g_s_g mentioned. But I don't know if I should be updating to it since I have the PX6.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Levin Varghese

I have Android 9.
MCU is MTCE_HA_V3.10_1
Kernel version is 4.4.167

Don't know if it matters, but I have a PX6 and not a PX5

I also saw there is a V3.14 MCU on the forum @m_g_s_g mentioned. But I don't know if I should be updating to it since I have the PX6.
Try the latest firmware update to 3.14, I’ve noticed many people complain that Android 9 and dasaita has that issue with the WiFi

·
Registered
4 Posts
So for anyone else that may have my particular WiFi problem, I did not end up updating my firmware. I tried resetting the power to the unit meaning I had to take apart my dash again.

TLDR - unplug, replug, restart

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys. Im a passive user of the forum and this thread for the last couple of days. Im thinking about ordering a new head-unit for my 2016er RAV4 HSD, but have some questions maybe somebody can answer. Im from europe (switzerland), so pls have mercy with my butchering of the english language.

1. I have a touch 2 go unit which DAB (JBL) in my rav4 for. In my understanding DAB isnt a thing outside of europe? My question is if i can re-use my existing DAB-antenna with the new head-unit. I know that i need an DAB-Dongle. But i dont know where my dab-antenna is in my Rav4 and how they ist connected to my current head-unit.

2. I found some different brands: Dasaita, Seicane and so on...for me they look more or less the same. The Dasaita Unit explicit states that they support the JBL-Amp and uses the PX6 Chip, so i tend to this unit. Somebody have some experience with the Seicane-Unit?

Thanks and greetings

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's an Android radio and does not offer Apple Carplay that I'm aware of or Android Auto. It's basically like having an Android tablet for a radio. I have had them before and been very happy. The versatility is great and blows away any other aftermarket radio I've had.
I have a 9 inch Dasatia and love it. I looked at the 10 inch but wanted something more stock looking. All functions work as before. It runs Android Auto great and Car Play with a dongle. I put a mic in the overhead where the stock unit goes and "ok google" works fine. It's super!

·
Registered
14 Posts
New member here..
Been following this thread..
I have a 2017 XLE Hybrid, with the entune plus w/o navigation.
It does have XM sat radio, and I am a big fan of that. I also enjoy, Pandora
and hooking up my ipod through the aux hookup. I also like having hands free calls through my speakers. I do have a Note 8, so I enjoy customizing the android interface to suit my needs. Which unit would you all recommend? And would I need any extra hookups or anything to keep my user experience the same as with the stock HU? I also would like to note, I have never installed or uninstalled a stereo unit in my life..but watching videos on these installs, seems pretty straight forward? Thanks in advance for the help! ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
New member here..
Been following this thread..
I have a 2017 XLE Hybrid, with the entune plus w/o navigation.
It does have XM sat radio, and I am a big fan of that. I also enjoy, Pandora
and hooking up my ipod through the aux hookup. I also like having hands free calls through my speakers. I do have a Note 8, so I enjoy customizing the android interface to suit my needs. Which unit would you all recommend? And would I need any extra hookups or anything to keep my user experience the same as with the stock HU? I also would like to note, I have never installed or uninstalled a stereo unit in my life..but watching videos on these installs, seems pretty straight forward? Thanks in advance for the help! ?
You lose your whole entunes plus. Although you can download other apps and such on your android device.. or use your note and screen mirror. You can also install android auto and connect it to your phone with the HU. The possibilities are endless with these devices.

441 - 460 of 503 Posts