Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am getting the RAV4 Hybrid XSE this week, and am excited. I know Android Auto is not included. But, wanted to know if there are any Android users who bought the car, and how are you managing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So far, I haven't had any problems. I can get my contacts uploaded, and from time to time, the system doesn't see any phone connected. I wish Toyota had included AA, but let's hope they will include it later on. Scout GPS link is far from the best option though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only thing I truly miss is the ability to have Waze up on the big screen. The Entune navigation is okay, but it far from offers the best route each time.

Other than that, Bluetooth works just as well as any other head unit. I can play my music on google play using Google Assistant for voice recognition. Play/pause, and skip buttons all still work through the on screen display and you can even navigate playlists. NPR One integration is nice but not entirely needed as I can do all the above for radio or podcasts as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Expected much worse actually. Pixel phone in XSE works great, contacts all available, phone management is good. Callers don't have a problem hearing me, they sound great on speaker. Text reading works well and phone voice control works well too.

The Scout GPS is buggy, maps and guidance horrible. About 1/2 the time USB port won't recognize data connection (required to display maps). Takes 5 minutes to get the two apps working and coax the usb into a data connection. The apps also need to be manually stopped after every use to avoid 24/7 battery drain. It just is not worth it.

Have returned to using Google maps with no car display. Need to figure out how to get Bluetooth to pickup the Google Maps audio at least. Hoping rumors of AA coming to the 2020 and maybe offered to 2019 owners are true.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an XSE and Android. I've had no problems at all. I too wish I could get the audio for maps to come through. Other than that, seems fine.
Enjoy your new XSE!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Android user with an XSE. Personally, Entune and Scout are easily my most hated part of my car. They both suck so much. Scout only connects 10% of the time for me so I can't use their nav service, which still sucks the rare times it does work. Bluetooth for music and calls is fine. REALLY hoping they offer an AA upgrade to the 2019s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an XSE and Android. I've had no problems at all. I too wish I could get the audio for maps to come through. Other than that, seems fine.
Enjoy your new XSE!
Google Maps directions on RAV4 audio:

Assuming phone already paired and Bluetooth on, go to: Maps/Settings/Navigation Settings/Play voice over Bluetooth=On (default is off)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have an XLE and Android. I just stopped using the infotainment all together. Just use a car mount for my Galaxy Note 10+. Plug in my Jabra 65t Elite true wireless buds... Soon to be Sony wf1000xm3 as soon as I get in the car, And do all my navigating/phone/music controls on my phone. The infotainment is so shit its embarrassing for a 2019 car. Even if they update AA in the 2019, the apple carplay on it is shit so I know the Android auto will be shit. Meaning I can't control much on Google maps on the shit screen etc.

Though I knew all this when buying the car. So I don't mind it so much esp when I'm getting over 45mpg.

I also charge using the cigarette port so I can utilize faster charging than the included USB port

The base speakers are okay but for music and phone calls I prefer earphones when driving esp when I have other people in my car

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have an XLE and Android. I just stopped using the infotainment all together. Just use a car mount for my Galaxy Note 10+. Plug in my Jabra 65t Elite true wireless buds... Soon to be Sony wf1000xm3 as soon as I get in the car, And do all my navigating/phone/music controls on my phone. The infotainment is so shit its embarrassing for a 2019 car. Even if they update AA in the 2019, the apple carplay on it is shit so I know the Android auto will be shit. Meaning I can't control much on Google maps on the shit screen etc.

Though I knew all this when buying the car. So I don't mind it so much esp when I'm getting over 45mpg.

I also charge using the cigarette port so I can utilize faster charging than the included USB port

The base speakers are okay but for music and phone calls I prefer earphones when driving esp when I have other people in my car
Also illegal to do as far as I know in Canada. Driving with headphones is unsafe. Do not recommend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also illegal to do as far as I know in Canada. Driving with headphones is unsafe. Do not recommend.
Yes illegal I believe. I plug in only my right ear and there's a setting on wireless earbuds called hearthrough that lets you hear what's going on outside using the built in mic

Though I doubt I'll ever get pulled over for it, it's for sure safer than listening loudly through speakers (you can't hear anything going on outside) or phone stuff like picking up calls without looking by tapping on earpiece. Much, much safer option.

While I've been doing this for over a year now, when I got my rav4 hybrid and tried out the speakers I missed sirens going off at night. This is also what made me just forget the cars infotainment system altogether. 😊

You're saying you'd rather have drivers banging loud music through speakers with Windows up and kids/adults on their smartphones? That is safer than my setup? That's just ignorant rubbish 😁 I drive a lot and I can't tell you how many times I've seen/predicted middle aged people trying to learn how to navigate their iPhones while behind the wheel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes illegal I believe. I plug in only my right ear and there's a setting on wireless earbuds called hearthrough that lets you hear what's going on outside.

Though I doubt I'll ever get pulled over for it, it's for sure safer than listening loudly through speakers (you can't hear anything going on outside) or phone stuff like picking up calls without looking by tapping on earpiece. Much, much safer option.

While I've been doing this for over a year now, when I got my rav4 hybrid and tried out the speakers I missed sirens going off at night. This is also what made me just forget the cars infotainment system altogether. 😊
Sounds like you should take the speaker's out and save the weight ;)

I can't imagine only having audio in one ear. I wouldn't be able to stand that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might sound stupid and perhaps a little bit of overkill, but I purchased a cheap iPhone SE off ebay that I feed using data from my Note 9 Hotspot. I then hook the iPhone to the USB port under the head unit and utilize CarPlay. Is this as good as AA? Probably not, but it allows me to either utilize Google maps or waze which offer infinitely better routing guidance and traffic issues than what Scout offers. Plus it let's me learn what I'm missing (or not} from an ios standpoint. Also since Verizon now offers free Apple Music, that too integrates nicely with CarPlay. Still keeping 🤞that AA will somehow be utilized through the current head unit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Why does it seem that infotainment systems in cars are so difficult to build? I have read owner's experiences with several cars and most of the owners have lots of complaints. Wouldn't be better if the car maker's just left it out and just let Apple and Android handle the maps, nav, etc. ? With all of the past years of development, thousands of owner complaints and inputs, shouldn't it be easier?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am getting the RAV4 Hybrid XSE this week, and am excited. I know Android Auto is not included. But, wanted to know if there are any Android users who bought the car, and how are you managing?
We bought a rav4 Limited a month ago and had trouble setting up my wife's android cell phone. It would not transfer her contacts list. I searched this form for help and found a 2014 post that had the solution. Just go to Chrome Play and down load the app named Bluetooth Phonebook. There are several and we choose the largest one. It worked like a charm and now she has her contacts listed and can phone by voice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We bought a rav4 Limited a month ago and had trouble setting up my wife's android cell phone. It would not transfer her contacts list.
I wonder if the issue was fixed with an Entune update? The first time I used Entune, it asked me to UPDATE. When I paired my Blackberry (Android) via Bluetooth, it just worked. All my Contacts are accessible for VOICE and TEXT with voice commands. When I connect a voice call, the display even shows the Contact's profile photo (stored on the phone).

I have NOT installed the ENTUNE ANDROID APP SUITE. Supposedly horrible … and the reviews on GooglePlay even indicate that installing the Suite detrimentally affects the phone's ability to consistently connect via Bluetooth.

I have built-in Toyota Navigation, so don't need the Suite (and ScoutGPS).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder if the issue was fixed with an Entune update? The first time I used Entune, it asked me to UPDATE. When I paired my Blackberry (Android) via Bluetooth, it just worked. All my Contacts are accessible for VOICE and TEXT with voice commands. When I connect a voice call, the display even shows the Contact's profile photo (stored on the phone).

I have NOT installed the ENTUNE ANDROID APP SUITE. Supposedly horrible … and the reviews on GooglePlay even indicate that installing the Suite detrimentally affects the phone's ability to consistently connect via Bluetooth.

I have built-in Toyota Navigation, so don't need the Suite (and ScoutGPS).
I had the exact same experience with a Google Pixel phone, and was pleasantly surprised. Since our state (Minnesota) just went hands free, I was relieved.

I am very close to deleting Entune. The only mildly interesting thing for us is the Amazon Alexa app which provides all the features of our Alexa account in the car, with pretty decent voice control. Other than that, everything else is a total waste. The ScoutGPS app is like Google Maps 10 years ago. Missing addresses, bad routing, slow, poor voice recognition.... Just went back to using native Google Maps on my Google Pixel with sound over the car speakers. It does appear AA is becoming more likely, if nothing else, from competitive pressures.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely despise the head unit in my Rav4. There is no better adjective to

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the head unit in the 2019 rav4. A total P. O. S.
Toyota should get some sort of lemon of the year award for this worthless piece of junk. I'm totally disgusted with mine. If not for the high mpg this car would be retitled to someone else asap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts