Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
I was inspired by http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21687 to start a similar thread for the 2GR-FE engine. I don't know what all of
the parts are, so I just put alphanumeric labels to correspond to an easy-to-modify legend. Below the photos is the legend info.

Let me know of additions or corrections.


Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
Click thumbnails above for less compressed images. Images below are full size, but they are compressed to smaller file size:







A Strut tower
B Freon pressure sensors
C High-side freon fitting and sight glass
D Low-side freon fitting
E Coolant (antifreeze) reservoir
F unused letter on pix
G Rear oil line. Pre 4/08 had infamous rubber section.
H Oil pressure sensor? 1 of ?
I intake manifold actuator solenoid. Controls 'J'.
J Intake air control valve
K Intake manifold (plastic)
L Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve Bank 2 (2 each bank)
M Engine oil filler cap
N VVT Sensor for intake Side of Bank 2
O Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve Bank 2 (2 each bank)
P1, P2, P3 Ignition coils for bank 2 cyl 2,4,6 respectively. 3 more on back bank 1.
Q Engine oil dipstick
R unused letter on pix
S VVT Sensor for exhaust side of Bank 2
T Fuel injector (6 total)
U Fuel pump resistor
V Fuel pump resistor connector
W No.1 Ventilation Hose (plugged into the Ventilation Valve PCV) (0060040.pdf)
X B38 Noise Filter on battery side of Ignition coils for bank 2. There is also one on bank 1. The item seems to be a 250 volt 2.2 uF capacitor. http://www.imagebam.com/image/e740e463339984 shows a closeup.
Y hose
Z Front oil line (NO. 1 OIL PIPE)
1A Transmission dipstick
1B No. 2 radiator supply hose (hot side)
1C Hose to (E Coolant reservoir) and somewhere else.
1D Purge VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve 01200310.pdf)
1E Purge Line Hose from canister 01200210.pdf
1F Vapor Feed Purge Line Hose to air cleaner hose
1G ?
1H Throttle Body
1I Throttle Body Mount
1J ___________ hose
1K ___________ hose
1L Purge vacuum switching valve
1M Brake fluid
1N Mass Airflow Meter
1O Vacuum Switching Valve
1P Vacuum Tank (above air filter housing)
1Q Non-stock positive terminal battery tap
1R Battery, with symbol on indicator eye
1S Battery front where electrolyte level can be seen in right light
1T Fuel rail (under engine cover)
1U VVT Sensor (as is 'N')
1V Head cover bolt #1 of 12 for Bank 2 (008003.pdf)
2A Fuse and relay box. (more fuses in dash)
2B Window washer fluid
2C Engine cover. (V-Bank Cover) Lifts off of 3 posts.
2D ???? firewall boss???
2G ECM Engine control module (brain)
2H ?
2I Aftermarket hood switch
2J Aftermarket siren
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,669 Posts
Good idea but hard to read letters on the image.
Also, isn't that a tranny dipstick labeled A (bottom, right to Y).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
friendly_jacek said:
Good idea but hard to read letters on the image.
Also, isn't that a tranny dipstick labeled A (bottom, right to Y).
It is a 1A, and yes, it is hard to read. After my annotations made on a 30 Mbit bitmap picture, I shrink and compress the pictures. I will probably re-do the annotations from scratch. But in the mean time, I have added the larger 1A in blue, and lightened up some of the blue characters. I will edit that change soon.

Originally I only did the small yellow characters, and those were really hard to read.
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
Item U is the fuel pump resistor. Item V is the fuel pump resistor connector.
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
W-No.1 Ventilation Hose (plugged into the Ventilation Valve)
1F-Vapor Feed Hose
1I-Throttle Body
N-VVT Sensor
Between P1 and P2-VVT Sensor
L-Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve
O-Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve
1N-Mass Airflow Meter
1P-Vacuum Tank (above air filter housing)
1O-Vacuum Switching Valve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

junebug1701 said:
N-VVT Sensor
Between P1 and P2-VVT Sensor
Please tell me about the VVT Sensors. The one at N and the one between P1 and P2. Are they the same; they look different in the photo. Are there two per bank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
I & J are the variable intake manifold actuators. J looks like the actual valve, and 'I' might be the solenoid. I'd have to look closer on mine.
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
Carbon said:
Thanks!

junebug1701 said:
N-VVT Sensor
Between P1 and P2-VVT Sensor
Please tell me about the VVT Sensors. The one at N and the one between P1 and P2. Are they the same; they look different in the photo. Are there two per bank?
Yeah, the one at N is for Intake Side of Bank 2 and the other one is for Exhaust Side of Bank 2. They have identical counterparts on Bank 1.
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
SteVTEC said:
I & J are the variable intake manifold actuators. J looks like the actual valve, and 'I' might be the solenoid. I'd have to look closer on mine.
Yep, Toyota calls J the intake air control valve, and 1L is the purge vacuum switching valve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of information contributions. I think I have incorporated the info from the posts up to now. Looking thru the list, most things are covered. Some things remain:

S Is that maybe the bank 2 knock sensor?
X .. or is that maybe the bank 2 knock sensor?

F is unused letter. There may be a good use for that one-- maybe use
it for 3 engine cover mounts.

R is unused letter.

Maybe I could add a label for the vacuum supply hose from the #6 cylinder [K] intake manifold to the [1P] vacuum tank. That could be R, or 1W if there is a better use for R.



1H in the incoming air path looks substantive. Anybody know what that is?

1B, 1C, 1J and 1K are just hoses.
1D... would that be the control to run hot water to the heater core?
2H (in the right of the bottom picture) I may figure out with a look
under the hood...
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
Item 1H is the throttle body, 1I is just the plastic mount it bolts to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Carbon, thanks for your efforts. This will be good for reference, especially for me since I'm on my first Toyota. All of the numbers/letters could probably be the same color in something that would have more contrast, maybe bright red or a neon green (if that is available).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made some additions and modifications to the legend info in the first post.

Here is a mystery item 'X' from the first picture as viewed from firewall side looking toward front of my 2009:


Click image for bigger image. Click here to load your own pictures free onto ImageBam.com

I don't see this part in the 2006 Toyota RAV4 Repair Manual drawings. It has only one wire as such, but the mounting would provide a ground. Searching for part "90980-04191" comes up with a hit, but the page does not identify what the part is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,808 Posts
Carbon said:
I made some additions and modifications to the legend info in the first post.

Here is a mystery item 'X' from the first picture as viewed from firewall side looking toward front of my 2009:


Click image for bigger image. Click here to load your own pictures free onto ImageBam.com

I don't see this part in the 2006 Toyota RAV4 Repair Manual drawings. It has only one wire as such, but the mounting would provide a ground. Searching for part "90980-04191" comes up with a hit, but the page does not identify what the part is.
This probably isn't helpful, but if you type in that part number in the 'search by factory part number' and select Toyota it comes up with 'condenser' at this site... https://www.cstoyotaparts.com/oemtoyotaparts.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SeriousBlack said:
This probably isn't helpful, but if you type in that part number in the 'search by factory part number' and select Toyota it comes up with 'condenser' at this site... https://www.cstoyotaparts.com/oemtoyotaparts.html
Very helpful. It turns out to be a capacitor = condenser.

Based on the 250/2.2 L marking, it may be a 250 volt 2.2 uF ±15% capacitor.

Looking at the 2007 electrical diagram page 51, it would seem that it would be the B38 Noise Filter (Ignition LH). There is also a B50 Noise Filter (Ignition RH) on the Bank 1 (aft bank) side of the engine. And yes, it shows as a capacitor on page 84 of the wiring diagrams. These two capacitors are across the battery supply (red wires) to the ignition coils.


I feel very confident. Thanks.
 

·
Your Humble Administrator
Joined
·
16,418 Posts
Carbon said:
SeriousBlack said:
This probably isn't helpful, but if you type in that part number in the 'search by factory part number' and select Toyota it comes up with 'condenser' at this site... https://www.cstoyotaparts.com/oemtoyotaparts.html
Very helpful. It turns out to be a capacitor = condenser.

Based on the 250/2.2 L marking, it may be a 250 volt 2.2 uF ±15% capacitor.

Looking at the 2007 electrical diagram page 51, it would seem that it would be the B38 Noise Filter (Ignition LH). There is also a B50 Noise Filter (Ignition RH) on the Bank 1 (aft bank) side of the engine. And yes, it shows as a capacitor on page 84 of the wiring diagrams. These two capacitors are across the battery supply (red wires) to the ignition coils.


I feel very confident. Thanks.
Very good, that's exactly what it is. These caps are generally used to filter out ignition noise or alternator whine which can find their way into the radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
so i have a po354 = ignition coil d primary/ secondary circuit malfunction where is that sucker located. i really hope its in the front? and is it safe to drive
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,042 Posts
Altho they rarely, as in never, fail, these capacitors can be disconnected for troubleshooting w/o any effect on the ignition system. As Junebug says they are only there to filter audio system noise.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
russella
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing
Top