Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The buyers FINALLY came up to our price on the house after much negotiating.
They are paying cash and want us out by Dec.5. This just happened so obviously closing has not ocurred yet. Tomorrow an estimator for a moving company will be here.

The point of all this drivel is that I won't be on here, or the internet, much due to packing, etc. After five months of waiting now it's balls to the wall. All our belongings will be in storage until we find a house North of Dallas and no telling how long that will take. We will be staying with my gal's son & daughter in law once we leave here as we hunt for a house further north. I'm not looking forward to the 650 mile drive with two dogs especially one that gets car sick. One car will have to be shipped.

I'll post here as things change and if we still have internet.

Rick

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Well congratulations, Rick, it's about time! Now the real fun begins!

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
Yep, congrats! I couldn't even imagine moving. The last time I did was 1/4 mile in 1987 and that took a month. Now just packing my garage would take a month!
We'll do our best to hold down the fort but be sure and check in when you can.
Meantime I'll offer to help by driving one car for you. Would only cost a couple of airfares. :wink

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are down to one last hurdle and that would be the inspection prior to purchase. That is to be this coming week and will take about four hours........DAMN SON, really?

Of course this guy is paid to come up with problems but there are none here that we are aware of. No termites, everything works as it should, yard is green and gorgeous, no structural problems, new roof, 3 year old double burner water heater......etc.

We are a bit on edge about this but there's nothing to do but see what he comes up with and how the buyer wants to deal with it. We are already packing so it would be a real blow if the deal went south. It's not sold until the check is in your hand.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
Yeah hopefully it'll all go okay but you just never know.
When we bought our 3rd (and current house) in 1987 we had to agree to carpet the second upstairs bedroom as a condition of closing. The single woman who owned the house from new used that BR to refinish furniture and so left the floor plywood. We only had one kid at the time so it just didn't make sense, but we still had to do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The house inspector came today as did the potential buyer with her painter. She & the inspector discussed everything while here on the premises and she proclaimed it a "done deal", nothing discouraged her at all.

So at this point we have 11 days to get our $hit together and ready for the packers & loaders.

I spent 5 hours today just unhooking and readying the surround system for packing & transport. Believe it or not I am whooped from all the bending over, etc. This getting old stuff ain't for sissies that's for sure.

Tomorrow we will give thanks, have a nice meal, and continue packing.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
The house inspector came today as did the potential buyer with her painter. She & the inspector discussed everything while here on the premises and she proclaimed it a "done deal", nothing discouraged her at all.
...Believe it or not I am whooped from all the bending over, etc. This getting old stuff ain't for sissies that's for sure.
Good news on the inspection. :thumbs_up:

I hit 74 today and over the last few years have noticed a general trend of the back getting tired and sore quicker when doing a lot of bending & lifting as in wheelbarrowing firewood around. My solution - take a break or do something else every two loads instead or every 4-5. In your case I'd use a table whenever possible instead of the floor when working/packing. At least for me it makes a BIG difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tonight is our last night in this house. We're both happy and sad at the same time. The packers come tomorrow and there is still a bunch to do so I'd best get after it.

The next two nights will be at the local La Qunita. On Weds. we set out for New Braunfels TX and spend the night in another hotel. Then on Thurs. we travel to McKinney TX where we will be living for a while.

I'll check in when I can.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Tonight is our last night in this house. We're both happy and sad at the same time. The packers come tomorrow and there is still a bunch to do so I'd best get after it.

The next two nights will be at the local La Qunita. On Weds. we set out for New Braunfels TX and spend the night in another hotel. Then on Thurs. we travel to McKinney TX where we will be living for a while.

I'll check in when I can.
Sounds like quite an adventure, RF! I hope your RAV keeps starting up like it's supposed to. Keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant La Quinta but you got my drift. SO VERY tired, we've been at it all day today with last minute stuff. There will be more last minute stuff, there always is. My car is packed to the gills and still have to figure out how to get luggage in it without it sliding around if I have to brake hard. I'm both hating and looking forward to tomorrow.

Packers tomorrow, loaders Tues.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my car so far with no luggage yet or last second items. The passenger side floorboard is already full of crap. We just gave away a garbage bag full of frozen food to a neighbor. The two coolers are full of frozen food that she refuses to give away and the space they take up are causing me grief. Since she grew up in post WWII England there are some foods that are precious. One of those is meat since they had little to none back then. These containers are going to her son & daughter in law when we reach McKinney. I hope the food makes it since we won't get there until Thursday late PM. I've done what I can both to keep the peace and be practical with space.........I lost.

Click on pics for larger image.
IMG_20161204_181433.jpg

IMG_20161204_181457.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howdy tonight from New Braunfels TX. Nice suite with all the amenities thanks to my gal's son with a million hotel miles. Fridge with icemaker, microwave, coffee maker, range, right down to the popcorn. Nice digs for the night.

This was the easy half of the trip. Tomorrow is the bugger. You must experience the I35 Corridor from here to Dallas to understand. Picture LA traffic in your mind and it's like that for 350 miles. We don't look forward to it but it must be done.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
Good so far! Just take it easy tomorrow and DON'T drive like I do! :egad:

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
I've been to New Braunfels, it's a unique town with a lot of German influence. Too bad you can't drive toward Dallas at night when the traffic is lighter. Of course if you're like me, the old night vision isn't what it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True about the night vision. The traffic is relentless day or night.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have arrived! For now we are in McKinney TX. The trip was mostly uneventful. It be cold here folks. We'll go house hunting tomorrow.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Congratulations! Any snow flurries up there?

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
Excellent. Yeah I see your temp is supposed to hit freezing tonight not much warmer than our 24. But then you get into the balmy high 50s for a few days while we struggle to hit 40.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No luck house hunting yet. Those we have looked at were either trashed or required more than a little repair. The thing is they are selling as fast as they hit the market! Amazing....
Tomorrow we're going to look in another city even smaller than the others.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts