Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my brand new Rav4 less than a week ago and noticed a strange sound coming from my A/C vents. I brought in to the dealer and was told that it was normal for all of the 2019 Rav4s. I have a hard time believing that because that sound is incredibly annoying if it is not completely drowned out by the radio. The noise appears every single time I drive after 1 minute.

Here is a link of what I'm hearing in my Rav4. Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
AC is quiet on my 19 rav4 adventure. From what I could hear...it sounds kind of like a whining belt? Reminds me of my dad's tacoma when the blower fan started going bad. It sounded kind of like yours but more of a rapid plastic tapping the higher the fan speed. Either way if your vents are noisy when fan is on, I'm sure something(blower fan)is not aligned.
Is it just when a/c is on or even if fans are turned on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound comes on only when the A/C is on. As soon as I turn off the A/C then the sound disappears. I was with the Toyota technician when he was test driving my car. He stated that he has never anything like this before. Funny how my service advisor told me that they checked other rav4s on the lot and they exhibited the same noise. Anyway, I'll be heading back there today to test drive a couple of Ravs to see if they make the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Either that advisor hears things differently or just doesnt want to deal with it. Happens all the time. They aren't mechanics so dont expect them all to be knowledgable. But yeah I'm sure it's something not working properly. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Noise on the video does not sound normal. Suggest not letting the dealer's service department off the hook, so to speak. "They all do it" is a common service department excuse for not wanting to or not being able to deal with a problem.

Reactions: Ruthrj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately my car did not make the noise today on the way to the dealership so I cancelled the test drive thinking the problem was corrected yesterday. On my way back from the dealership though, it started acting up again. I will definately have to get it looked at again later this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same noise as you on my '19 Limited. They said they couldn't hear it but took my word for it so changed the blower motor. Sadly, that didn't do anything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same noise as you on my '19 Limited. They said they couldn't hear it but took my word for it so changed the blower motor. Sadly, that didn't do anything.
I had similar issue with my old Mazda and they had to replace AC Compressor to get rid of the noise. I don't know if it is the same thing....

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I picked up my brand new Rav4 less than a week ago and noticed a strange sound coming from my A/C vents. I brought in to the dealer and was told that it was normal for all of the 2019 Rav4s. I have a hard time believing that because that sound is incredibly annoying if it is not completely drowned out by the radio. The noise appears every single time I drive after 1 minute.

Here is a link of what I'm hearing in my Rav4. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have the SAME issue! Went to Toyota the first time I heard the noise and they thought it was the blower motor. Got it replaced and literally on the way home that day the same noise came back. Went again yesterday and somehow they couldn't hear the sound I've been dealing with and told me that when I had time that I would go and test other Rav 4's. I'm going back in a few weeks to get it checked out again. It would be great if anyone knew what the issue was.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is bizarre. It reminds me of a motor driving a noisy pulley at low speed.

Does the noise change when you switch the vents from floor to dash to defrost?

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
The noise must be high pitched, I can't hear it on the video, must be my old ear...er...hearing! My wife has excellent hearing(unfortunately!!), she's never mentioned hearing anything out of the norm in mine, so it's not a normal operating sound apparently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear the same the noise on my 2019 Limited when the AC is ON and goes away when the AC is OFF with the fan on. I have suspected it to be related to the expansion valve, which controls the amount of coolant going into the evaporator. I notice that when the cabin temperature is close to the desired temperature setting and the AC is ON, the noise is most pronounce as the expansion valve is trying to restrict the flow of the refrigerant as the cabin doesn't need to be cool down as much anymore. I don't know if noise is because the expansion valve is "chattering" trying to let pass a minimum of refrigerant or if it's a "whistle" type of phenomenon. All said...this is only my guess and what I've read on a similar Subaru forum.

Additional note - I can also get the same noise show up when the AC is OFF and the fan running BUT with the desired cabin temperature setting set to a low value. I believe the cause is the same as the climate control tries to reach the desired temperature setting by "automatically" cooling the air. I know this because when I hear the noise, I can feel the air coming out of the vent is cooled even though the AC indicator light is not lit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After five service appointments trying to get this figured out and even a case opened, the service techs say that this is normal for the rav 4. I checked a base model rav 4 which doesn't make this noise, but every limited model I would test would make this squealing nose. I was told that if Toyota decides that this noise is indeed a problem, then a TSB would be released. Crazy for a car in this price range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like Toyota's go to remark is "It's just a normality for the vehicle and you'll have to get used to it."

The A/C, transfer case noise, jerking. It's all a joke with this car. I can't wait to be finished with my lemon law case and get rid of this vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same exact issue (XLE Premium 19) What's everyone's update with this issue? I'm bringing my Rav in today because they're claiming its the blower. I also hear noise when I use the heat option.

·
Registered
24 Posts

out of curiosity what letter or number does the VIN of your rav begin with?

·
Registered
605 Posts
My 2019 Adventure doesn't make the noise. I just get the AWD clicking when stopping. Just be glad you don't own a 2017 Subaru. When they built their brand new compressors, they put too big a gap in between the clutch plates. The groaning screeching sound when the A/C engaged was horrible. It was caused by the clutch slipping during engagement and didn't sound good. There was a replacement compressor offered from Subaru for people who complained, but even some of those made the noise too. Someone on YouTube posted a procedure for changing shimming on the compressor clutch to get closer tolerances, but it required you taking the clutch apart with a puller and removing or replacing shims.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my wife's rav4 is getting this noise as well.. I thought it was odd hearing it when the a/c was being turned on. I'll probably talk to them when the 10k service internal

·
Registered
5 Posts
my wife's rav4 is getting this noise as well.. I thought it was odd hearing it when the a/c was being turned on. I'll probably talk to them when the 10k service internal
I just had mine in for it's 10K service. The dealer confirmed the high pitched noise (I can't hear it, but my 14 year old daughter can). The dealer will be replacing the fan motor but it is on back order now.

Don't take no for an answer from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts