Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Rav4 here with approx 91k miles. I've owned it only a few months but have noticed an annoying squeaking type noise over slight bumps coming from the rear. I'm guessing maybe shocks?

It's weird over bigger bumps or if I open the rear door and press down on the back of the vehicle I don't hear it, and if I wiggle it a bit from side to side in the rear I don't hear it either. It's like the smallest of bumps or impurities in the road make it noticeable while driving.

I've become a bit used to it/turned radio up louder but my wife noticed it while riding yesterday and kept commenting on it so I guess it is annoying to someone else.

Just wondering if the rear shocks may need replacing or something else to investigate?

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
Try a little grease or oil on the rear door latch and hinges first.
Also check for items inside the back or under the rear floor.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
2010 Rav4 here with approx 91k miles. I've owned it only a few months but have noticed an annoying squeaking type noise over slight bumps coming from the rear. I'm guessing maybe shocks?

It's weird over bigger bumps or if I open the rear door and press down on the back of the vehicle I don't hear it, and if I wiggle it a bit from side to side in the rear I don't hear it either. It's like the smallest of bumps or impurities in the road make it noticeable while driving.

I've become a bit used to it/turned radio up louder but my wife noticed it while riding yesterday and kept commenting on it so I guess it is annoying to someone else.

Just wondering if the rear shocks may need replacing or something else to investigate?
These kind of things can be a PITA! But if you bounce it around like you did and don't hear it, probably not shocks. Exhaust system? As mentioned, rear door latch? Rear seats? Maybe move the seats/fold them down? While hearing the squeak, lightly step on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mine has a similar noise. Seems greasing the rear door seal lightly with some silicone grease and tightening the fasteners for the door latch mechanism both on the door and on the body quiets it down for a few months before I have to do it again. I also lubricated the handle mechanism spraying WD-40 or silicone spray on all the moving bits seems to help, otherwise it makes dry squeaky noises when you operate it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Noise sounds like a straw going in and out of a soft drink lid? I got new tires and shocks and I have the problem you describe. I assumed it was the crappy shocks they installed.

You only hear it at low speed, over light bumps, possibly speed bumps, but otherwise quiet? I can make the noise with the door open by bottoming out the rear left side of the suspension. Keep in mind my new garbage Monroe shocks allow me to do this. By jumping on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Noise sounds like a straw going in and out of a soft drink lid? I got new tires and shocks and I have the problem you describe. I assumed it was the crappy shocks they installed.

You only hear it at low speed, over light bumps, possibly speed bumps, but otherwise quiet? I can make the noise with the door open by bottoming out the rear left side of the suspension. Keep in mind my new garbage Monroe shocks allow me to do this. By jumping on the rear bumper.
Your new shocks come with any kind of warranty? If so, I'd use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts