Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only version I've seen of this particular picture (still looking for an unmodified original photo)... Same online photo album has copies of 'chopped BMW's and a couple others though...

I think it looks too much like the current-gen RAV to be a new model. The window behind the rear door looks particularly poorly done.

T

·
0 Posts
I think the artist did a good job on the lighting... but the shape needs to be worked on more.

·
Registered
682 Posts
that looks like a photochop for sure...so many similarities with the current shape rav. but i agree with the comments above, a nicely done chop (especially the reflections on the front bumper)

·
Registered
771 Posts
The rear window is familiar because its our window just turned Upside-down. Scale would make the hood about as long as an Explorer. Its supposed to still be a mini SUV isn't it? Lets not waste anymore time on this. Build a bridge and get over it, we are going to have to wait. Toyota pays millions to hide this stuff from compeditors. Do you think the guy getting paided millions will slip-up at risk of never getting hired by anyone again? We all have to play the waiting game. M out!

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcutio said:
Lets not waste anymore time on this.
Sometimes the spy photos pan out, most of the time, they don't -- the spy shots for the 2001 appeared and were dead-on correct, well before the official launch. Theres a whole industry built up around it, with companies specifically geared towards finding out the latest scoop in the automotive (and pretty much any other manufactured product) world that no one else knows or can confirm and who can publish it first.

If we all thought it was a waste of time, this entire 4.3 section would never have existed. Not to mention the thousands of messages scattered across who-knows-how-many message boards and forums across the Internet on just "what's in store" for the newest RAV4. It's interesting and fun talking about this kind of thing -- people get together, speak, respond, voice opinions, rattle off wish lists, speculate and pretty much socialize.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here's wish list for ya.
All electic Rav that is the same price as the one I have now
More torque than ours.
Zero polutants.
Solar rechargable.
Stylish still (not like the Prius. I know its a hybrid but still...)
Capable of extended Highway trips.
Should I keep going?
I think there will be a hybrid version of the Rav at some point since its big brothers have one (Highlander and lexus RX).
I believe its the automakers way of saying to the Oil companies "We still need you....... for now, but &!$$ us off and we will make more electric only vehicles."
Technology exsits where electic motors produce more torque with less energy than a gas engine requires for the same amount. I think it's the future. Fortunate or unfortunate how ever you want to see it. Cheers.M. :idea:

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, that's not a wish-list, that's a pipe dream! :wink:

"More torque" should be easily accomplished though, especially since the electric motor in the Prius produces 295 lb-ft by its lonesome. An all-wheel-drive arrangement like the hybrid RX and Highlander would put an additional electric motor at the rear.

"Stylish" is a matter of personal opinion -- plenty of RAV'ers very much disliked the 4.2 compared to the 4.1. I myself appreciate the beauty of both generations of the RAV.

A hybridized RAV4 (which is strongly rumored to be in the works) should easily beat the 500 mile mark on a tank of gas. Is that extended enough?

What I'd put on a wish list is (in no particular order):
A real rear bumper (while still keeping a low load height)
Standard four-wheel disc brakes (DO NOT go back to rear drum brakes, please!!)
Standard front and rear side curtain airbags (now that Toyota's set a safety-focused precedent in the current model year for all their SUVs)
Configurable cargo area with accessory rails (ala Matrix)
DVD navigation system
Bluetooth support
Optional Smart Key sytem (ala Prius)
Optional continuously variable transmission (CVT)
Electronic (and possibly multi-zone) climate control
Electric air conditioning (ala Prius - solid state, not compressor-based, which should come with the hybrid version anyway)
Projector beam headlamps

S

·
0 Posts
Well, since we are postin wishlists here, how about this.

Turbo-Charged engine option
Improved cornering (as compared to a 4.1, never driven a 4.2)
Diesel engine Option
Same basic size as a 4.1
Better turning radius than a 4.1
Hybrid Engine Option (what can I say, I like options)
On/Off for AWD
CVT tranny
TRD tuned package (possibly one sport, one off-road)
Lexus like exterior stylings
Projector Headlamps
GPS
16, 17, and 18 inch alloy wheels, preferbly wrapped in Yokohama
Yakima or Thule rack feets, with load bars easily replaced with wider ones

Yeah, that would be the basics......

·
Registered
771 Posts
I hate to say and I know you don't want to hear it but my ultimate wishlist may include buying a Highlander hybrid or Lexus RX for my wife and I and keepin our Rav for our daughter. I'll have to create Highlanderworld.com :)

S

·
0 Posts
Speaking of Highlanders, if they enlarge the dimensions, and give it a V-6, isn't that just a highlander? The whole reason for the Rav is that it is smaller, if I wanted the larger size I would get a highlander, or one of their other larger SUVs. Just my 2-cents.

V

·
0 Posts
THANK YOU!!!.....

.....looks like there are a few more people with BRAINS, than just me :roll: ....Once again, Thank You for saying one more time, what I've been always saying OVER AND OVER.

.....But you know what???....Toyota will cave in to the STUPID "bigger-is-better" MORONS that are floating out there in large numbers, and THAT, in my opinion, spells the end of one of the nicest super-compact, super-manuverable, super-fun-to-drive SUVs, and one of the very few of it's kind remaining :cry: .....and from the rumors I've heard, they're not just making it A LITTLE bigger ....but more like a WHOPPING 7 or 8 inches longer

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
SZRimaging said:
Speaking of Highlanders, if they enlarge the dimensions, and give it a V-6, isn't that just a highlander?
I'm only guessing, but I expect the 2006 RAV4 to only be 2 or 3 inches longer at most. :? The Highlander is currently 18" longer, 4 inches wider and has a 9 inch longer wheelbase than the 2005 RAV4. IMHO... that leaves quite a bit of room before the RAV4 becomes a Highlander.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, since nothing is proven yet, it could be only 2 to 3 inches, or it could be longer like 10 inches. Personally though, adding length is not the way I would go on this model. Its appeal is its size. Its the perfect SUV for traveling in traffic, and is an excellent vehicle for parking. 2 inches, maybe. More, and it is too close to an Escape for me.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
SZRimaging said:
Well, since nothing is proven yet, it could be only 2 to 3 inches, or it could be longer like 10 inches.
I just checked the sizes on the CR-V. It's 15 inches longer than the RAv4. I'm thinking I might up my guestimate of 2 or 3 inches to 10 or 12? Time will tell....

I've got my calendar marked for October, 19, 2005... the Tokyo Car Show :!:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I like the RAV's size as well, but I'm not so sure that Toyota product planners would see it as an advantage for the RAV to be the smallest entry in its class. The CR-V outsells the RAV in this country and as posted above it's a fair bit bigger. Maybe the age of mini-SUVs is over.

S

·
0 Posts
I would think that it is just beginning. All of a suden I am seeing alot more Ravs in my area (oddly enough, the older ones). I am in an area dominated by the large SUVs (Durrango, Expedition, Subarban, etc.) and am seeing a great decline in their numbers (WooHOO!). Up here, SUVs are a neccsaty. Most familys have one car and at least one SUV. We can get a good amount of snow, so we need vehicles that will get through it if neccesary. So a decline in the number of large SUVs is something I can see easily. What I am seeing more of is Highlander/Escape/Xterra/RX300 sized vehicles. So with a rise in their sales, I would think the companies would still want to maintain a slightly more compact and fuel efficient version of all of them. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I agree, people are still going to want small SUVs, but there's a difference in the market now between "small" SUVs like the CR-V, Escape, etc. and the "mini" SUV, of which the RAV4 is really the only example left now that the Tracker/Vitara is gone. Size-wise the small SUV has been growing and I think Toyota would have to address that in a redesign.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts