Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a few weeks I finally have pictures of "before":

and "after":

Details: Red 4x4 Base, 17" steel, roof rack, floor mats, grey interior. Added mudguards and cargo net (from ebay "scion-warehouse-toyota-mall" http://stores.ebay.com/SCION-WAREHOUSE-TOYOTA-MALL - sometimes they have "bid on" items starting at 99cents - that's what I paid for the cargo net, plus shipping); need the side trim and cargo tray. Some day when I have a spare hour I will run these two pics thru WinMorph...

Price paid during 2nd week of January: several hundred below MSRP (which the dealer didn't even want to do, but I told him I felt MSRP was an artificially inflated price that nobody is expected to pay and I would feel I was being ripped off if I was asked to pay that amount and I will not; so he came down). Yes I could have waited and got a better price, but this was the model and color we wanted (wifie really didn't care for most of the other colors) so we paid for the privilege of not having to keep shopping around for several more weeks to find this same car again somewhere else.

John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats! The before and after picture really looks just that...a before and after. It's like you lined it up perfectly. 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Your pics are great!! I wish I had taken a photo the day we traded in my old baby (we went to look, not buy...but, ended up buying on the spot! LOL!).

.99! What a deal!! I'm going to have to check out that place you linked.

Congrats on your new RAV!!...and, have lots of fun!

p.s. I haven't liked the red RAVs...but, yours doesn't seem too SHOCKING!! Is your photo truer to the red color than the others posted here on the board? We didn't get to see one in person.

R

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
I hate to say this.. but.. oh god I know Im gonna tick off 4.1 owners. BUT the 4.1 is UGLY as compared to the 4.3.. its like night and day.
Check out my 4.1 baby in my photo album that is no longer with us ...she was definitely purty!! You should have seen her interior...ooohh...la la! :) Actually...I never liked the interior...but, LOVED the exterior! The "party seat fabric" was a bit much for me. Sadly, I don't have interior photos.

R

·
0 Posts
The G Man said:
The red actually looks darker than it is in the picture.
I may have liked the red, had I seen it in person. But, I am VERY, VERY, VERY happy with our color choice! :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
flyingn said:
I hate to say this.. but.. oh god I know Im gonna tick off 4.1 owners. BUT the 4.1 is UGLY as compared to the 4.3.. its like night and day.
Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. For my part, I'm not really in love with the design of the 4.3 -- although it is attractive and modern-looking, it's a bit bland. I think the 4.1 design has aged pretty well (the 1999-2000 more so than the 1996-97 in the picture above).

C

·
0 Posts
The G Man said:
Hmmm, not much to love about the 4.1 RAV4, especially those cheap ugly cladings.
...careful now... you are in a Rav4 forum... comprised of many 4.1 owners. What model of the 06 do you have by the way?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
flyingn said:
I beg to differ.... the 4.1 is a classic and set the standard for small SUVs which others have tried to imitate ever since.

I am somewhat disappointed with Toyota in following the bland "me-too" look of other modern SUVs. :(

If there is any consolation for Toyota in keeping up with its design-to-be-different styling is the FJ Cruiser. Now that is a unique design that definitely does not follow the bandwagon. :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
please guys it is NOT meant in any way to put down the 4.1's as they are a classic by now. It was just my opinion. Strictly looking subjectivly as both pics. Maybe I sould have not said that. :(

it WAS a poor choice of words. I changed it

P

·
0 Posts
Flyingn,

No need to apologize. You stated your opinion. I have a new 06 RAV and were it not for the redesign, I never would have considered. To me, previous RAVs were just too small. We need something to haul stuff and get good gas milage. We found this in the RAV. Fit a 7CF Freezer Chest in her on Sunday. The chest was still in the box.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
csis_agent said:
The G Man said:
Hmmm, not much to love about the 4.1 RAV4, especially those cheap ugly cladings.
...careful now... you are in a RAV4 forum... comprised of many 4.1 owners. What model of the 06 do you have by the way?
I dont mean to offend anyone here. Everyone one this board is entitled to their opinion and so am I. I looked at the 4.1 and 4.2 years earlier, both way too small. I could have gotten a great deal on a 4.2 but decided against it. I am very gald I did, sitting in the 4.2 and the 4.3 is like day and night, the material used in the 4.3 is superior to the 4.2.
Like I said earlier, everyone is entitle to their opinion. I just think that the 4.1 and 4.2 is targeted at a different audience, perhaps a college. A younger audience I might add. I guess Toyota figure they will still have production cars targeted at the young buyers with the Scion series. That might be why they made the RAV4 more up-sacle and main stream.
BTW I own a sport model.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
purduealum91 said:
We need something to haul stuff and get good gas milage. We found this in the RAV. Fit a 7CF Freezer Chest in her on Sunday. The chest was still in the box.
I assume it fit with lots of room to spare, considering how the RAV has grown. I bought a 7-cu. ft. chest freezer a couple of years ago and it fit fine, in its box, into the Mazda Protege5 hatchback I had at the time. But the next size up I would have needed to get delivered.

The 4.1 and 4.2 weren't targeted at a difference audience, they're just products of a time when small SUVs were more popular. As evidenced by this thread, most people now want something bigger. But we still love our 4.1 -- it has all the room two people need and can carry tons of cargo. Its small size makes it a snap to drive and park around town and it's the best of all the RAVs off-road.

I'll admit, though, that there are 269 reasons why I'm considering upgrading to a new one later this year...

P

·
0 Posts
Do it bmorton, you will not regret it.

Im not putting earlier versions down. Just for me, the size wasnt practical till now. For 06 you get a bigger SUV with great milage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To whoever asked, in my pic the red looks like that in bright sun but in typical conditions it's a little less bright than it looks in that pic.

I actually liked the exterior of the 4.1 a lot. I especially liked the black clad across the bottom (still used in recent Ford Escapes - might have bought one of those if it had stability control) - never have to worry about the paint getting chipped down there! 4.3 is kinda bland compared to the 4.1, but like others have said, we needed more room, and the 4.1 and 4.2 couldn't cut it. Everything in life is a tradeoff. But aside from the cheap base fabric, it is a very comfortable car to ride in. Wish I could have gotten it out of wifey's hands to take it for a spin in the snow...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts