Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought a 2002 Rav4 last thursday, it had 36,700 miles on it. I managed to get it back from my wife today and noticed the CEL on. :( Between school and work tonight I stopped and had the codes checked at autozone. They were busy and I was in a hurry but was told the cat converter is bad, bank 1 and bank 2. He cleared the light before I could tell him to leave it on. I have read all about the cat problems on this forum tonight. Now I just hope the dealer will make it good, or I won't be keeping this one very long!

Ed

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your RAV's still in the full regular and emissions system warranties, so you should be able to get it fixed. If one dealer gives you an excuse, visit a different dealer next time.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad Fuel

I don't think I have ever heard of a catylitic converter problem in Australia but many in the US, which makes me suspect there is bad fuel being sold there. Our standard is 91 octane which is exactly right according to the Australian supplied handbook, and it runs very well. (I have 2002 auto)

What do others think?

Brian

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I think the US emissions control systems are just different due to our different emissions laws.

Aussie 91 is roughly equal to US 87. We have different rating systems.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the dealer today and talked with a service advisor. He ran the vin # through the computer and checked the history. There has not been any work at all on the Rav other than regular maintenance. They are aware of the problems and TSBs. When the light comes back on they will check the codes to be sure. If it is the same thing first they will reprogram the ECU. He said if it was up to him they would go ahead and change to cat out. Toyota claims that not all cats have been damaged when the problem first shows up. I think they are just trying to buy time and save the $1000 to change it out. He did assure me that all the work related to the ECU and cat converter would be covered for 8 yr/80000 miles. Now I just see how long it takes for the CEL to come back on!

Ed

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CEL came back on today. My wife took it to the dealer and they reprogramed the ECU, they even left a copy of the TSB laying in the seat. They did say that some ECU's have been reprogramed and not had any more trouble, and some have been back and had to have the cat converter replaced. I also found out that it is a certified used Toyota, I guess that is a good thing.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts