Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some searches as well, but I'm also trying to see if there would be any unusual reasons for rear clunking over bumps, dips, etc..

Recently, changed all four shocks, rotors, and pads on 08 Rav 4 with about 162K. After doing the rear shocks the car has this terrible clunking noise over any and all bumps. It sounds like metal on metal or something is loose back there, I tightened the top shock bolt as much as I could and there doesn't seem to be any play. If I literally jump on the car's rear bumper I can mimic the noise. I took it to the dealer for an alignment after I did the front inner/outer tie rods and also asked them to check it out. However, I feel like they ripped me off for the labor charge, since I know the rear end links are dry rotted/cracked and they never even mentioned this to me. But, somehow they couldn't figure out what the noise would be coming from. I know those are my number suspect as of now (I have a set on hand, but need to install them), but is there anything else that would be specific to a Rav 4? I saw another post where someone put hot glue on the rear door latch, lol.

I'm debating taking it to a mechanic I go to and ask them to retorque everything, since that rear top bolt is also a suspect on my list. Plus, my v6 3.0 Audi is torn apart in my driveway now for a timing belt, PCV, vacuum tubing, and engine clean up. So, I'm a little pressed for time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same thing a couple years ago and it turned out to be the rear sway bar links. It's not much work to change them. 2 sizes of wrenches and a hex key I'm pretty sure was all i needed. And a jack to lift the vehicle to allow a bit more space to work with between the coils on the springs

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts