Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory alarm has been acting up lately. It goes off without reason after I arm it (the time between arming and going off varies from 10 seconds to several hours).

There is an indicator light in the vehicle which (apart from indicating that the alarm is armed) has a memory function and blinks (4 times in my situation) according to the cause that triggered the alarm when you disable the system and enter the car.

Since I don't have the manual of the alarm, by testing various triggering methods, I have eliminated the front doors, the back doors, the cargo door, the hood and the volumetric sensors. What else could trigger a factory alarm? (Panic mode apparently does not cause the light to blink after I disarm it).

I have already sourced every Toyota alarm manual I could find, but it seems that each one has a different way to indicate the cause of the triggering. It is neither a TVSS nor a VIP RS3xxx system. The dealership (also unable to source a manual) claims it is a "Toyota THII" alarm, with the siren (depicted below) located on the firewall in the engine room:

(http://i60.tinypic.com/2wea0w7.jpg)

(http://i61.tinypic.com/2u9jyua.jpg)

(http://i62.tinypic.com/egczsk.jpg)
(Pictures hijacked from this forum: Toyota Thii (2) Oem Alarm - Audio/Video/Electronics - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum)
The indicator light is located on a switch blank plate and looks like this:

(http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/wiki/heatermatrix/Image008.jpg)

It is probably a region specific European system, so I would really appreciate any tips (or the actual manual) from whoever owns a Rav equipped with a "THII" alarm.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: By accident, I have found a solution to my problem.

Since my last post, I had given up and just locked the Rav without arming the alarm.

Several days ago, I needed to access the driver's side front speaker.
While dismantling the door panel, I pushed the switch of the overhead interior lights in the "OFF" position,
to avoid unnecessary battery drain.
Then, for the fun of it, I decided to arm the alarm system and went home.
To my surprise, it didn't go off. Happy that the problem seemed to have rectified itself, continued to use the alarm from then on.

Then one day, I realized that I had left the interior light switch in the "OFF" position, reverted it to "DOOR", locked the car and armed the alarm.
Sure enough, after 15-20 minutes the alarm went off (same 4 blinks of the indicator light when I disarmed it).

To cut an already long story short, if the switch stays in "OFF" position, the alarm behaves as it should.
If I revert it to "DOOR", the alarm goes off without apparent reason after several minutes.

Obviously a wiring issue, so, has anyone here any idea why the position of the interior light switch triggers the alarm?
Not an urgent issue, but if it is an indication of a short-circuit somewhere it might be best to resolve it before something more sinister happens.

EDIT: I should probably consider publishing smaller posts...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could be a faulty door light switch, if there was a voltage leak from a door switch or your overhead light and your alarm senses voltage drops that could trigger it( but I'm guessing as I know absolutely nothing about the makeup of your alarm).
On another wild guess it could be a Thatcham cat 2 alarm made specific for Toyota UK and possibly some European countries.
Thatcham are listed as supplying an alarm/immobiliser systems for the Rav4 in the UK supplied models.
http://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/compliance.pdf
you might find the above link interesting to browse through but I could see no proof that your alarm is a Thatcham but they did supply 90,s rav4 models with alarms.
regards
kev

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response.
The Thatcham site lists the TVSS IIIB as the supplied alarm for the Rav. Unfortunately, what I have is a different unit.

A malfuctioning door light switch is my guess, too. I will try to locate a whole interior light assembly to test against mine.

A faulty door switch is another assumption I made.
But faulty in what manner?
If it falsely assumes that the door is open when it's not, wouldn't that also trigger the overhead light or the "door ajar" light on the dash?
And why it takes so long for the alarm to go off instead of immediately after the 15-second arming delay?
Lastly, opening a door while the alarm is active, presents a "1-blink code" on the indicator light rather than the "4-blink code" I get.

Pretty confusing stuff, I hope that electrically savvier people than me chime in with more suggestions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
your prob right that it might not be the door switch but as I said before it might be a voltage leak on that circuit that's triggering the alarm and I wouldn't rule out the any of the door switches plus the tailgate one as they could have voltage leaks, not enough to light the interior bulb but enough to trigger the alarm as it senses very small current changes. Try sitting in it on a dark area and watch to see if the interior bulb illuminates slightly. another thing to check for is the looms at the door jams. this is a problem area on a lot of cars but not sure about Toyota as I have never came across it. On a chance try swapping the interior light bulb for a new one as ive seen a rare case where this affected the voltage sensing. Failing that best to get a good autospark to check out the fault. on a last note do you have any info on what the 4 blink code relates too?. Is there ultrasonics fitted? Does the boot or rear door get the same 1 blink as the front doors?. Does it make any beeps when you lock the car?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts