Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/another-new-toyota-rav4-has-exploded-this-time-while-its-owner-was-taking-his-children-to-school-032219.html

After quickly evacuating, the family says the vehicle melted from the inside out

The family’s ordeal started early in the morning on March 12. Shaun was on his way to take his two children to school when he thought he had forgotten his cell phone. They headed back to the house to look for it. As it turned out, the device had been in his pocket the whole time.

Now running late, the children got back in the car and Shaun started to drive away. They weren’t far from the house when his 12-year-old daughter began screaming. She told her father to pull over. It was then that Shaun noticed that smoke was coming out of the steering column, from under the dashboard. The kids grabbed their backpacks and jumped out of the car as he quickly pulled over.

Thinking that it was an electrical fire, Shaun grabbed his wrench. He opened the hood to disconnect the battery as fast as he could, but the electric components appeared fine. The fire, it seemed, was originating from the interior. Within thirty seconds, “the whole dash and the floorboards of the front of the car was on fire,” Shaun tells ConsumerAffairs.

Firefighters with the San Miguel Fire Department said that the interior of the car was completely engulfed by the time they arrived. They extinguished the fire, leaving behind an SUV that was melted from the inside, and said the cause was undetermined.

“The passenger compartment was totally involved upon arrival,” the fire department’s report says.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/it-was-their-brand-new-toyota-it-exploded-in-their-driveway-and-no-one-can-explain-why-112718.html

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was their brand new Toyota. It exploded in their driveway.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/it-was-their-brand-new-toyota-it-exploded-in-their-driveway-and-no-one-can-explain-why-112718.html

It was their brand new Toyota. It exploded in their driveway. And no one can explain why.

A Minneapolis fire investigator said he hadn't seen anything like this before. But it’s not the first complaint of a random fire in a Toyota.

Late at night in the middle of June, on a leafy residential street in Minneapolis, Hayling Han was awoken by an odd popping noise. She told her husband Heap that it sounded like firecrackers.
Shortly before 1 a.m. that night, the sensors on the couple’s motion-activated surveillance camera also detected that something was happening. The camera system began to record.

The site outside was bizarre, to say the least. A plume of fire was rising from the interior of the couple’s SUV and venting through the sunroof, as if their brand new Toyota had turned into a chimney.

Just three weeks later, in the middle of the night, the new purchase now appeared to be spontaneously combusting. The car wasn’t even turned on; the Hans last used it for an errand the previous morning. Surveillance footage from twenty minutes prior to the fire shows Hayling with the family dog on the front lawn. The SUV is behind them, parked, turned off, and empty.

This model comes with smart keys and a push-button start, but still, it won’t turn on unless the brakes are depressed. "I had the original keys, both of them, inside my house,” Heap adds.

The Minneapolis Fire Department responded to the couple’s 911 call shortly after. Crews were laying down a hose line when, with little warning, an explosion suddenly rippled through the street. It came from the rear driver’s side door, where a firefighter was preparing to put out the blaze. The explosion knocked him to the ground.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is this a trending problem now? Would have been useful to have the year of the vehicles involved, although the first one is 2016-18. Given that it’s so recent, it’s too soon to expect word of a cause. If anyone knows more info, please share with the group!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've owned several Toyotas over a span of 50 years and never had a problem like this. I buy Toyota for stability and longevity. It'll be interesting if anything else occurs like this.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Agree with Quickdtoo regarding the Toyota incidents. Obviously vehicles shouldn't self-combust and hopefully the cause of the RAV4 incidents can be found, but unless some sort of trend emerges it would appear that owners need not be overly concerned.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first RAV4 (2nd post) was a 2018--they bought it in May 2018, and it caught fire in June 2018. The second was a 2017 bought in September 2017. It caught fire in the middle of the night March 12, 2019. Both were bought brand new.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts......Canyonero!

But seriously - I wonder what it is. I have a slight sense of relief since they weren't Hybrids...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering where the RAVA 4 was made. Since they are two place I think Canada and Japan. Did anyone look at this to see if there was a pattern from one area of manufacture. I own a. New 2018 it from Japan

·
Registered
264 Posts
insurance fraud? What is so flammable in passenger side compartment to support that kind of fire? None of the victims reported gas smell. The battery simply doesn't have enough energy to produce such effect (not hybrids). Any short outside battery would blow a fuse quickly ending the trouble. Battery is FLA and not capable to burn like that even if owner wanted. Besides that there was no other energy source in the car left.

On more wild side and definitely not stock: acetone in the coolant? Propane in AC? Did they have some custom made liners from something really beautiful & flammable and dropped a cigarette on it :) ?.
Basically it so much doesn't make sense to me it's not even concerning let alone scary.

·
Registered
489 Posts
With all due respect, wild speculation doesn’t help anything. Acetone in the coolant and propane in the AC lines might happen with an older vehicle being held together by spit and good intentions, but these are newer vehicles still in their warranty period (by time at least). Hyundai and Kia have numerous models which may be subject to fires (see recent news releases) but have yet to determine a cause. Battery voltage can in fact be high enough with a regular 12V to do some serious damage - have you ever jumped the terminals on a starter solenoid to bump an engine? I don’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. Ever heard what happens if you join the posts on a battery? Same.

Bottom line, we don’t have info yet, but these vehicles are too new to have gotten such shadetree “fixes” applied to them. Shall we wait for more info before dismissing it as a fraud?

·
Registered
264 Posts
With all due respect, wild speculation doesn’t help anything. Acetone in the coolant and propane in the AC lines might happen with an older vehicle being held together by spit and good intentions, but these are newer vehicles still in their warranty period (by time at least). Hyundai and Kia have numerous models which may be subject to fires (see recent news releases) but have yet to determine a cause. Battery voltage can in fact be high enough with a regular 12V to do some serious damage - have you ever jumped the terminals on a starter solenoid to bump an engine? I don’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. Ever heard what happens if you join the posts on a battery? Same.

Bottom line, we don’t have info yet, but these vehicles are too new to have gotten such shadetree “fixes” applied to them. Shall we wait for more info before dismissing it as a fraud?

Speculations on my account or the journos? I tried to show how far they went down the road of selling news and trying to agitate the audience while knowing close to 0.
Regarding other questions- did all that, more than once for various reasons, neither 'scary' nor relevant. 12V is perfectly safe voltage, you can touch it with bare hands and you won't feel anything, Hollywood lied in most cases.
It's energy that does it, not voltage. I'm well aware of low internal resistance of the battery and level of currents it can produce for a few seconds resulting in few kW power released which is perfectly enough to ignite something flammable. Example with something across its posts is not valid, modern cars usually have something like 150A fusible link installed right at the positive post disconnecting battery if such short develops in the harness. In reality only few wires originating from the battery are capable to conduct such currents. There could be the case that thick wire starts rubbing something and creates a short. The short might be not 'short enough' to exceed 150A and burn fusible link but quite enough to create smoke and local hot spot resulting in a lot of smoke and it will have distinct electrical smell due to insulation burning. It will still not start fast fire like that in the cabin, behind firewall, just a lot of smoke.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You obviously have extensive electrical expertise. However please try reading my post in the context in which it was written. My last paragraph sums it up, we should wait for more info rather than flinging fraud accusations around (as the tone of your message implies). Let’s keep it friendly here, and show some respect in the face of so many unknown details. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You obviously have extensive electrical expertise. However please try reading my post in the context in which it was written. My last paragraph sums it up, we should wait for more info rather than flinging fraud accusations around (as the tone of your message implies). Let’s keep it friendly here, and show some respect in the face of so many unknown details. Have a good weekend.

My point was different too- news should wait for more info before starting speculating about 'mysterious problems leading to fires in brand new Toyota vehicles'. Such speculations have direct impact on sales numbers as they create fear and uncertainty in the potential customers, in this case completely baseless. It used to be their direct duty to find out what the mystery is before printing. In the era of the Internet that step became optional. Since now it is open season to come up with such news I considered I'm free to contribute to ridiculousness of the situation. It's not like my post damaged any real info as it was 0 anyway.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In the other news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-13/the-next-american-car-recession-has-already-started
it sounds like car market is reshaping and SUV segment becomes overpopulated that IMO naturally causes Toyota's vehicle explosions :)
Just like in 2008 - 2010 ppl were unable to stop their Toyotas due to fall in sales of NA made cars. At that time I tried to find reliable description of the problem and couldn't, all went by 'just trust us' hype. I'm not a Toyota fan by any means (stripped cylinder bolts or whining transmissions anyone?) but I think we should maintain some common sense approach to problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had to replace multiple modules for my heater fan control in a couple different vehicles I owned and they were pretty black and melted looking, I would imagine it could possibly start a fire...no mods of any sort had been done. I am sure there is all sorts of potential for fires under/behind a dashboard, I am sure everything new is not engineered and designed to a perfect spec, and if a human eye does not catch a nicked wire smashed by a robot putting in a dash, or wear from a misplaced wire rubbing against a steering mechanism, could spell trouble...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts