Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking a cross country trip later this year (about 4000 miles). I was wondering if I should change to a heavier oil (10w 30 or 5w 30) or if the 0W 20 would still be ok. I am using Mobil One Synthetic 0w 20 as Toyota recommends. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,089 Posts
I will be taking a cross country trip later this year (about 4000 miles). I was wondering if I should change to a heavier oil (10w 30 or 5w 30) or if the 0W 20 would still be ok. I am using Mobil One Synthetic 0w 20 as Toyota recommends. Any suggestions??
Use what's recommended - period.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
There is no advantage whatsoever in going to a heavier viscosity oil. I believe Toyota's recommendation is TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0w20 but M1 is an excellent product.
Last time I checked Mobil makes the TGMO to Toyota's specifications.

I would have an extra quart in the car just in case you need to top off.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I agree, no reason to change because of a long trip. In fact extended highway miles are easier on motor oil because it stays hot so it doesn't absorb water vapor.

Reactions: Irwinboy74

·
Registered
248 Posts
Slowly the world is finding that thinner (but of course modern high quality) oils are causing less wear in the bigger overall picture. To many old timers, myself included, it may seem counter intuitive but linked below is an interesting article to this effect from Blackstone Labs who are one of the most highly regarded oil testing labs in the world. Who would know better than someone who has many thousands of data points of real world oil testing to compare.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f6413...bd5-3fc21748f3ea/Feb_17_Engine_Newsletter.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts