Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've owned my MR2 for 19 years and through endless mods and three motor swaps I became pretty mechanically inclined and used to the 3SGTE. Recently, a 1997 Rav4 with a blown motor fell into my lap for $300 and I couldn't resist the project. My goal is to turn it into a fun and reliable daily driver with a budget of about $4K. Between work and life, I'm sure it will take at least a few months to finish.

It looks like the car was run dry on oil and spit a rod out the block. A shame because it only had 140k and appeared to be well maintained with a recent timing belt job and a fair amount of new hoses and other parts. The interior is really good shape for its age. It is suffering from some rust in the rear inner fender area, which I plan to cut out and weld in new metal.

I've read most of the existing swap info and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm farming out the wiring to WireGap so it will be mostly plug and play. I'll be using a gen4/St215 engine, stock transmission and plan to keep the Rav4 accessories in hopes of keeping AC. The only thing I really plan to do differently is a custom air to water intercooler--I'm planning to replicate the setup I have in my MR2 and use a 1x12x24 heat exchanger in front of the AC condenser. I plan to ditch the stock transmission cooler lines in favor of a small oil cooler bolted to the transmission to free up some room for the heat exchanger. I'm hoping to make a custom 2.5-3" exhaust, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of room between the crossmember and the engine so I'll tackle that when we get the engine in.

I'll post pics once I'm able. I'm close to dropping the old engine and already picked up the new engine from J-Spec Auto down the road from me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow progress due to a few crazy weeks, but I'm almost ready to drop everything down and start transferring stuff over to the new motor. I've ordered the air to water intercooler parts and I'm pretty sure I've got enough room to fit the heat exchanger where the old transmission cooler lines went, and then enough room to mount the new oil cooler down by the transmission. Unfortunately, it looks like the turbo on the new motor is no good so I'm working with the importer on that. I do have a spare from my MR2 parts bin so it shouldn't slow things down much but it's still a pain.

2019-08-19_08-56-47 by John Wallace, on Flickr

2019-08-19_08-56-18 by John Wallace, on Flickr

2019-08-19_08-57-12 by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
175 Posts
Always when I see a caldina it comes to my mind do the swap. The rav off road capabilities + over 200hp/300Nm engine would be real fun.

By the way, I read somewhere that the 3sgte does not like water, something might crack if get wet (like water splashing everywhere on a river crossing for example). Do you know anything about it?

Keep us up to date mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard of the water issue, but I'm not very familiar with the engine in an offroad setting. The 3SGTE does have some cracking issues when pushed to high horsepower due to thin castings between I believe the middle cylinders and water passages.

Not much to report other than still in discussions about the turbo and getting a lot of the new parts delivered for the swap. I got three radiators delivered in the same day. The heat exchanger for the intercooler looks like it should fit really well in place of the stock transmission cooler. The intercooler looks like it's going to be a tight fit but I'll have a better idea once the 3SGTE is mounted. The oil cooler shouldn't be too hard to fit down by the transmission. I'll get all of those mounts figured out after things are swapped over.

2019-08-24_11-35-57 by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never heard of the water issue, but I'm not very familiar with the engine in an offroad setting. The 3SGTE does have some cracking issues when pushed to high horsepower due to thin castings between I believe the middle cylinders and water passages.

Not much to report other than still in discussions about the turbo and getting a lot of the new parts delivered for the swap. I got three radiators delivered in the same day. The heat exchanger for the intercooler looks like it should fit really well in place of the stock transmission cooler. The intercooler looks like it's going to be a tight fit but I'll have a better idea once the 3SGTE is mounted. The oil cooler shouldn't be too hard to fit down by the transmission. I'll get all of those mounts figured out after things are swapped over.

2019-08-24_11-35-57 by John Wallace, on Flickr
Looking forward to seeing how you mount the w2a setup! I've been wanting to do this on mine for a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's going to be a tight fit, but I'm planning on squeezing the core in the stock airbox location. Somewhat similar to Prime's setup below but obviously a/w. The heat exchanger easily fits in front of the a/c condenser once OEM transmission cooler loop is removed.

I always seem to take on car projects when I've got a million other things going on, but I'm hoping to make some progress in the next few weeks and will post pics.

prime rav4 intercool by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think that's a reasonable idea and shouldn't be too tight if you're doing a custom intake/filter option. That routing is common for some Alltrac and GtFour owners to do on their swaps.Keep the updates coming! Love the progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got a free weekend! Dropping the engine was a little bit more involved than the MR2s I'm used to working on, but overall it was surprisingly similar. Time to send the harnesses out to Doug at Wire Gap to merge them.

I'm open to suggestions on the accessories. My plan right now is to use the Caldina alternator and the Rav4 a/c compressor and power steering pump. I've seen some people say the Caldina alternator has clearance issues with the dipstick and turbo (one person said it fits with the air duct removed), but I have a hard time understanding this since it is the OEM configuration. The Rav4 alternator bracket will need some work to fit so using the Rav4 one seems like more work.

IMAG4874 by John Wallace, on Flickr
IMAG4876 by John Wallace, on Flickr
IMAG4891 by John Wallace, on Flickr
IMAG4878 by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was making decent progress until I went to bolt up the new flywheel and realized it's for a 6-bolt 3sgte...doh. Ordered the right one today but that killed my hopes of bolting the engine and transmission together this weekend.

I feel bad for the previous owner of this car--they obviously put a lot of maintenance into it before running it dry on oil. The clutch looks nearly new; I even put match marks on everything in case someone wants it (let me know and pay for shipping). The timing belt was just changed as well, and there were various coolant hoses with OEM toyota tags still on them. I bet spinning the bearings was a kick in the nuts after all of that.

IMAG5070 by John Wallace, on Flickr

IMAG5078 by John Wallace, on Flickr

Stalled on the motor, I started screwing around with the intercooler placement. The heat exchanger was easy, I just drilled a few holes in the bumper support for the top mount and am making 2 small brackets that will mount to where the old transmission cooler loop went.

IMAG5075 by John Wallace, on Flickr

Ignore the ridiculous intake (screwing around with spare parts), but it looks like I may be able to mount the intercooler core directly to the turbo and throttle body with a little luck and a 90* reducer and some fairly simple brackets. I like that it will be bolted to the engine/transmission rather than the chassis so it won't stress the couplers as the engine moves.

IMAG5074 by John Wallace, on Flickr

I'll be sending the wiring harnesses off to be merged this week, and will probably send my spare turbo off to be rebuilt as well, and I may as well do the injectors while I'm at it. My goal is to get the fuel mods done and have things ready to go back in for my Thanksgiving break from work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking good man! I like the short routing for the W2A setup. What your plans for the return fuel line? Doesn't seemto be documented as well even though I'm sure its a simple task.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! It's been slow progress but it's getting there finally.

I'll take some pics once I install the new fuel pump and run the return line. I think what most people have done is run a T off the vent line for the gas tank. Once I have a look at everything I'll decide if this is the best approach. I do plan on removing the charcoal canister but understand the need for proper tank ventilation--I'll likely just do a check valve and small filter in place of the CC.

Got the clutch and flywheel on after work yesterday. I originally planned against a lightweight flywheel due to potential off road drivability, but when you come across a brand new Fidanza flywheel for $150 it tends to change your mind. I doubt it will make a huge difference having to spin the 4WD anyway. I went with an Exedy stage 1 clutch. I'm a little leery of sprung performance clutches, but we'll see how it goes. Since I plan to daily this car I didn't want anything as harsh and heavy as my MR2.

IMAG5101 by John Wallace, on Flickr

IMAG5102 by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Probably my least favorite part of every swap is mating the engine and transmission, but this time went okay.

2019-10-12_12-12-51 by John Wallace, on Flickr

The fuel pump was pretty disgusting. The tank doesn't look terrible but there is quite a bit of sediment settled in the bottom so I'm weighing whether I'll drop it or not for cleaning. I plan on putting in a new bulkhead for the return line now that I have things apart.

I used a DeatschWerks DW200 pump. After cutting off the old fuel pressure regulator, the only issue was the hard line was too small. I ended up making a sleeve out of a smaller fuel line to make up the slack.

2019-10-12_04-20-12 by John Wallace, on Flickr

2019-10-12_04-19-55 by John Wallace, on Flickr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sweet! Great pics. Makes me wonder what all of our pumps look like after 20yrs of use :oops: Do you have the kit number for the DW pump? Looks like there are a few options on their site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts