Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice! Sounds like a fair amount of work ahead lol. Are you planning on building the block for the 400hp goal? I'm planning to keep the Rav a daily driver, so I doubt I'll ever push it past the stock fuel system, but eventually I plan to build a spare gen4 I have with forged rods & pistons, a Link ECU, ID1050 injectors and E85 for the MR2--I think that would be a really nice and pretty easy 4-500whp street build.

The front mount intercooler will be tough with A/C unless you mod or remove the bumper. I considered the options but there didn't seem to be many good options for running 2-3" intercooler piping, and it would be a lot of piping and some tough bends. The A/W option just seemed a lot easier.

On a similar note, I was VERY happy to find that the A/C worked when I tried it. I'm glad I went through the trouble of retaining the Rav4 compressor...
Yes, definitely a fair amount of work. I'm 50/50 on doing rods/pistons right now. Under 400whp with a good tune is supposed to be ok with the caldina rods/pistons.

Regarding a front mount, I'm going to run a civic style half radiator which should open up some room and a long, narrow intercooler good quality intercooler. Piping is what it is...can't really shorten up the piping all that much which sucks...still unsure about the rear subframe, definitely want to run good suspension...and rear disc brakes. We've been throwing ideas around for quite sometime...and I now have three 2 door rav4's...and my mr2 is basically where i want it to be...so the rav4 project is next.

I'll create a build thread once we start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Rear disc brakes would be very nice, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. And yeah, if you don't spin too high of RPMs and have a good tune, it should be okay. I plan to go stand alone on the stock gne4 first on the MR2 and have the built engine as a backup for if/when it shits the bed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Now that the engine is sorted, I started turning my attention to the rust in the back wheel wells. The driver's side is the worst and will need a fair amount of metal cut out. The outer painted sheet metal has mostly survived, but it's going to be tight welding to patch the inner fender. Luckily, the worst areas are under the bumper cladding, so appearance isn't a huge issue as long as I can get some solid patches in there and get mounting holes lined back up.

But...as I look under the car I see all kinds of spots I'd like to address in the rear around the differential and suspension mounting points. Nothing rotted, but surface rust is starting in areas. I really hate to do it since I just bolted the prop shaft back in and replaced the seal & filled the fluid, but I think I'm going to drop the whole rear end out (suspension and differential), clean everything up and bed liner the wheel wells rear underbody.

Problem is I wasn't planning this and the schedule is getting tight... First baby is coming at the end of Feb and I was really hoping to have this project wrapped up and on the road.

IMAG5895 by John Wallace, on Flickr

IMAG5894 by John Wallace, on Flickr

41 - 43 of 43 Posts