Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've done a bunch of searches and haven't found what I'm looking for. With that stated, here's what I'd like to know. What's involved in installing (ie. connecting) an aftermarket trans cooler to my '06 V6 Base model w/o tow pkg RAV? Are the transmission line connection points already present or do I have to remove, replace or add an adapter of some sort?
I really appreciate and look forward to any helpful info.
Willie

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Okay, I've done a bunch of searches and haven't found what I'm looking for. With that stated, here's what I'd like to know. What's involved in installing (ie. connecting) an aftermarket trans cooler to my '06 V6 Base model w/o tow pkg RAV? Are the transmission line connection points already present or do I have to remove, replace or add an adapter of some sort?
I really appreciate and look forward to any helpful info.
Willie

Look at this link. It is just in front of the transmission pan. You can't miss it and is quite obvious. I think the line uses a 5/8 inch hose. You will not need any adapter but ensure you measure your hose length and have enough hose clamps. I was installing an in-line transmission filter so I had to work in this area. I had to take the battery out to free up space to remove the top of the hose. Also took off the top plastic cover that sits on top of the radiator. The hose is on tight so to loosen it I used a long crowbar to push the rubber out of the tube from the top of the car. Pulling the hose with your hand will not come out since it is on very tight. I think there is a thread where someone with a Gen3 picture of a transmission cooler installed. I did something like his using the same cooler on an 05. There are two ways to mount the cooler. One is using plastic tie straps to the condenser which I don't like and the other is making custom straps bolted to the frame. You can get metal straps at Home Depot in the framing section. I used rivets to hold the cooler on the straps.
In any case you need to take the front grill off to install the cooler. Removing the grill is not that hard and the only difficult part was removing the 2 nut at the top near the radiator. The nut uses a phillip head bolt but was seized so to avoid stripping it I used a vise grip plier to turn it with lots of penetrating oil in between. When I reinstalled these 2 bolts I put anti-seize grease on and did not tighten it all the way since it was not critical to be super tight. Details on the grill removal can be found in the sticky Gen3 Exterior "How to add Fog lights using OEM wiring"

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I cut the return line, installed a barbed union to connect the hose into the cooler, same thing for the outlet, didn't need to undo anything else, just went in from the bottom of the bumper...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS guys! This is EXACTLY the kind of responses I was hoping for!
Would either of you like to recommend a particular cooler?
Willie

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I installed a stacked plate B&M cooler on mine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question, instead of getting underneath to find out for myself. Will my tranny have a return line even though it doesn't have a tow package?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Another question, instead of getting underneath to find out for myself. Will my tranny have a return line even though it doesn't have a tow package?
I saw BAH return line picture posted from a 4 cylinder so you should have them in the same location as the 6 cylinder models. You don't need the tow package because you will have one either way.

Look under the car you should see the return line (picture - see post #2 from BAH).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EXCELLENT! Thanks DL
Willie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts