Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all have that crappy static antenna. Would have been a nice touch to have a power antenna.

It has to be removed to go through the car wash.

Anyone got any bright ideas for replacing that with something that doesn't have to be removed for a car wash but retains a good signal vs. the standard antenna?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
There used to be a short flexible $10 rubber antenna mast that could be bought at Radio Shack, but I haven't been able to find it recently.

What car washes are you going through? I've never had to remove my antenna... With my 97' RAV I had to lower it (it slid down into the A-pillar), but that's the most I've ever had to deal with.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to slid down the pillar. Right now, the antenna is sitting in the backseat. Hopefully, I could find the short rubber antenna. Anyway, I prefer the look without antenna too.. Just need a black cap to top it off.

R

·
0 Posts
I liked the look/location of the antenna on my old 1996, even if it wasn't special. It did look "sportier."

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
If the stub antenna and Toyota both use the same screw thread threading, it should work just fine -- is there a "standard"? Might not find out until someone finds out the hard way...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Found a #10 (24/32) plastic screw at Homedepot. 1/2 in longer and will shorten it to fit. I'm thrill to remove the antenna. I hardly listen to radio anyway and the reception over here is excellence without it too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts