Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to put a Clarion SRV303 powered sub under my driver seat. I wanted to put it under the passenger seat but it's too low by about 1/8th of an inch and as far as I know there is no way to raise the front passenger seat. I currently have a JL audio 300/4 amp under my driver seat that i'm going to transfer to the passenger side to make room for the Clarion.
Has anyone had any experience with putting subs under the seats of their Rav4? I'm afraid it might make the sound very muddy or distorted but wanted to see fi anyone here has a similar setup. Thanks.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How ironic... :lol: I was just wondering the same thing while driving home just now.

Seriously, I've had no plans to install a sub in my RAV4, mainly because I don't want anything to interfere with my cargo space, but I thought about installing a small sub under one of the front seats.

Of course, this is just an idea. 8)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, saving cargo space is exactly what i had in mind but i'm worried about how it will sound

·
Registered
34 Posts
websurrfr said:
I was planning to put a Clarion SRV303 powered sub under my driver seat. I wanted to put it under the passenger seat but it's too low by about 1/8th of an inch and as far as I know there is no way to raise the front passenger seat. I currently have a JL audio 300/4 amp under my driver seat that i'm going to transfer to the passenger side to make room for the Clarion.
Has anyone had any experience with putting subs under the seats of their Rav4? I'm afraid it might make the sound very muddy or distorted but wanted to see fi anyone here has a similar setup. Thanks.
Heya web surfer dude!

I have a little experience with speakers under seats, but not in a RAV. In general, it'll sound punchy and tight, not deep. One install I did used 8" drivers under both front seats just for mid bass(not as "subwoofers") and that sounded really sweet, but honestly I've never heard more bass come from under a front seat than I have from a good set of door speakers sealed with Dynamat. By "better", I'm talking about quality bass, not the kind that sounds like someone is pounding on a metal trash can. There's no way you can fit enough airspace in an enclosure under your seat that'll sound better than a "simulated" enclosure behind a door speaker sealed with Dynamat. I've also heard bass-shakers as well. They're more of a novelty that massage your butt. :eek:

So I'm not really saying anything installed under a seat will sound bad, but IMHO addressing the door speakers(with Dynamat) would give more quality bass than anything under your seat. Then again if you like the tight-punchy bass that doesn't resonate, then bass shakers will serve you well. Anyways, hope that helps a little. Happy RAV'n! :p

..ChimChim

·
Registered
43 Posts
chimchim! running into you everywhere I go :lol:

good point though. I don't want to sacrifice cargo space, so I guess upgraded speakers and dynamat is the way to go for me.

I'm sure there are people out there who are "moderates" like me. Not really looking into an all out trick-out but wanting to get modest improvement in various aspects. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
chimchim! running into you everywhere I go :lol:

good point though. I don't want to sacrifice cargo space, so I guess upgraded speakers and dynamat is the way to go for me.

I'm sure there are people out there who are "moderates" like me. Not really looking into an all out trick-out but wanting to get modest improvement in various aspects. ;)
Heya Georgierooni! Yeah somtimes I feel one ChimChim on this galaxy is too much too! :D Yeah you "moderates" will get the absolute most bang for the buck by doing the Dynamat thing.. and of course in no way am I being derogatory since I was once "moderate" myself :shock: The price of dymatting all your doors is by FAR the MOST cost-effective, audibly enhancing mod anyone could ever make... plus its cheap! Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehehe... :lol: Count me in as one of them moderates.

Know what? If/when I decide to replace my speakers, I might consider the Dynamat trick. I'm not a subwoofer-ish type, but I like my bass to come out cleanly. :p

I used to drive a 1995 Tercel with only a pair of 4" speakers on the door panels. Boy, getting clean bass out of those was quite a farce! :-(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fit a Kenwood WooX under the driver's seat of my RAV. I had to crank the seat all the way to the top to make it fit. The sound was pretty good, but I ended up moving it to the back as I am too tall to drive with the seat all the way up. The nice thing about the Woox is that you can easily dissconnect and reconnect it without any tools so you can get your cargo space back in a pinch. I picked it up around Thanksgiving for $200 and am very pleased. Checked out the Basslink, but it is very large and has no quick disconnect feature.

·
Registered
986 Posts
ChimChim brought up good points about the issue of how it will sound. By the way he knows a lot about that stuff, having answered my questions in the past. Air space in the enclosure is very critical, especially with subs.

However, there are other aspects you need to consider, such as the fact that there is a heating vent right under the seat. Unless you live in the tropics, the heating vent gets used at some time or another. Electronics and heat do not mix, especially in a confined space. Also, if you carry any rear seat passengers they will end up kicking it with there feet I'm sure, because there is not a lot of leg room.

Putting a sub under the seat is a genuinely good idea, however I don't think it would work that well in a Rav.

A better idea, which I have thought about many times myself, is getting an Infinity BassLink that mounts on the side panel of the cargo area. Yes the plastic side panels are not terribly sturdy, but you can take them off and reinforce them with metal or wood to hold the BassLink unit. All the reviews I have read about the BassLink have been good, and they're only about $300 or less.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of these subbies under the seat installation? I would like to see how it looks like.

Ohh yeah count me in as a "moderates" as well... especially in this field. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you had any luck installing your sub under your front seat? I'm curious about how you're progressing. I too was looking (although not seriously) at the Clarion SRV303 the other day on various websites.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually purchased the subwoofer online today and I'm hoping to install it on Saturday or Sunday this weekend, I'll be sure to post back here to let everyone know how it sounds.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a kenwood very small sub that fits under my driver seat... search for woox online...

the sub isn't anything that will shake your window but will give you good bass

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the woox originally but I'm not a big fan of kenwood products and it was much bigger than the clarion, but i should have it all installed by the end of today

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
websurrfr said:
I looked at the woox originally but I'm not a big fan of kenwood products and it was much bigger than the clarion, but i should have it all installed by the end of today
Did you go with the Clarion after all?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep, I went with the Clarion and as of now, everything is installed and the final conlucions is....

it sounds beatiful! obviously with a 64watt amp it's not gonna shake cars around you but i wanted clean, tight, musical bass and it provided it perfectly! if filled out the sound very very nicely, i'm extremely pleased with my decision

full sound system specs-

front speakers- boston sl60's
rear speakers- boston nx67's
amp- JL audio 300/4 (75wx4 RMS)
Clarion SRV303
Pioneer Premier DHP-560mp (i think that's the model number)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
websurrfr said:
yep, I went with the Clarion and as of now, everything is installed and the final conlucions is....

it sounds beatiful! obviously with a 64watt amp it's not gonna shake cars around you but i wanted clean, tight, musical bass and it provided it perfectly! if filled out the sound very very nicely, i'm extremely pleased with my decision

full sound system specs-

front speakers- boston sl60's
rear speakers- boston nx67's
amp- JL audio 300/4 (75wx4 RMS)
Clarion SRV303
Pioneer Premier DHP-560mp (i think that's the model number)
That sounds awesome! Congrats on the new sub! 8)

No, I wouldn't expect a small unit, such as the Clarion SRV303, to be a big shaker. However, as you pointed out, it gives clean, clear bass, which is what I'm looking for. A 15" sub in a ported box would be cool, but no thanks. :lol:

So anyway, how did the installation go? Did you decide to put it under the passenger or driver seat? I'm not sure where I plan to put mine... if I go with a sub at all.

First, I need to replace my stock speakers. I don't think I'm getting the full benefits of my Clarion DXZ645MP with my stock speakers. :lol::roll:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since the passenger seat is not height adjustable I put the smaller amp under there (the jl audio 300/4) and I had to put the sub under the driver seat since it required a little more space (about a quarter of an inch more)

my seat is not raised any higher than normal either so my entire sound system and all its components are in a sense "invisible" since they take up no actual cargo space and you can't even see them unless you are looking for them

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more question regarding dynamat-

I'm probably going to have it installed by the same place that did my speakers, sub, and deck...If I have them install it do I need to give them any special instructions on the way to install it so it sounds the best or would it be common sense for a professional installer? Thanks.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
websurrfr said:
Since the passenger seat is not height adjustable I put the smaller amp under there (the jl audio 300/4) and I had to put the sub under the driver seat since it required a little more space (about a quarter of an inch more)

my seat is not raised any higher than normal either so my entire sound system and all its components are in a sense "invisible" since they take up no actual cargo space and you can't even see them unless you are looking for them
Cool... thanks for the update!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts