Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello rav4 enthusiasts!

everywhere I search in this forum, some rav4 owner has an oil burning issue (obviously otherwise it wouldn't be reported). Suffice to say, are there any members here who's gen 3 isn't burning oil? Please state year, mileage, and engine size! Just trying to get a sense before my next purchase. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Don't seem to be losing a drop between changes on our 09 V6 with 82k.

The ones that had problems with that were 4 cylinders prior to 09.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hello rav4 enthusiasts!

everywhere I search in this forum, some rav4 owner has an oil burning issue (obviously otherwise it wouldn't be reported). Suffice to say, are there any members here who's gen 3 isn't burning oil? Please state year, mileage, and engine size! Just trying to get a sense before my next purchase. Thanks!
Rav4s starting from 2009 got the new 2.5 l 4 cylinder which doesn't burn any oil since the old 2.4l had small/bad piston seals that allowed oil to go into the combustion chamber if I'm correct. I own a 2009 rav4 with a little bit over 104k miles and only had oil burning recently with valvoline (they were giving out a free action figure with an oil change bundle at autozone) went back to Mobil one and no burning oil.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
As mentioned the oil burning issue is confined to the 2006-2008 2.4L engines but many are over 100,000 miles and don't burn. They aren't forum members but I have several church friends with the same engine in RAV4s and a Camry who've never mentioned the issue. I'm known as one of the "wrenches" at church so I hear about everyone's problems. I was unaware of the problem outside of this forum.

My own RAV4 is a V6 so it burns an occasional $20 ignition coil but zero oil.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
33 Posts
2008 with 108,000 miles, It has the 2.4 I4 and doesn't burn a drop.

Reactions: WJBertrand

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a 2007 Rav4-2.4 eng. I purchased it new. From 25000 miles on, it would burn 2 qts. between oil changes at 5000 miles. Not enough for repair from warranty. I kept it till I purchased a 2015xle new. Doesn't burn a drop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dang I consider that to be excessive. So happy mine doesn't do that. I did check out on the Toyota web site and couldn't see that this issue had ever been addressed. Guess I got a good one.(knocks on wood)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
As other V6 RAV owners have reported my V6 engine has had no oil burning problems. A member of our church who has a 2.5l RAV says they have not had any oil burning problem, either
Interesting that Dr. Dyno goes through more ignition coils than between-changes oil! :smile

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2010 with 38k and the 4 cyl has not been using any oil between changes.

My brother's 2012 also with the 4 cyl has not reported any oil consumption issues. Not sure how much mileage his RAV4 has these days.

If you are considering a 2006 - 2009, check the history to make sure that the engine was rebuilt or at least inspected as I understand that Toyota had a recall.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dang I consider that to be excessive. So happy mine doesn't do that. I did check out on the Toyota web site and couldn't see that this issue had ever been addressed. Guess I got a good one.(knocks on wood)
Oh, I did too, beleive me I was pissed that a new car would burn any oil. They have a fix for it, but you had to burn a certain amount to get warranty. They s,.aid burning at least
1qt. in 1200 miles was acceptable, bull crap !

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
Interesting that Dr. Dyno goes through more ignition coils than between-changes oil! :smile
Yeah, I buy the cheap $20 ones instead of paying $200-300 so I get to replace one every few years. :shrug:
And I always put the ones that are going to fail in the front bank so changing them is an easy 5-minute job. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
RAV4.3 (2008) which is not burning oil here...

BUT of course, I live in Iceland and engines here are 2.0l gasoline, model 1AZ-FE (yeah, the same of the latest RAV4.2), so no oil burning for me (or anything else, so far)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a drop

Mine is 07 Sport V6 , 135,000 miles approx. Never added a drop of oil between changes ... It's always right up when I check it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
After 8 1/2 years and 54,000 miles, my V6 hasn't burned a drop of oil.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Are there any members here who's gen 3 isn't burning oil? Please state year, mileage, and engine size! Just trying to get a sense before my next purchase....

My 2009 RAV with 95.5K miles, 4-cylinder 2.5L engine, does not use any noticable oil between changes. It has been an extemely relaible, trouble-free machine on all accounts.

As others have said, the only oil-burning problem model in the gen 4.3 RAV was the 2006-2008 4-cylinder 2.4L engine. Toyota eventually recognized the problem and offered a 10-year extended warranty from date in service to test and fix those engines if there was a problem. The program also included Camry and other models with that particular engine, so it was a big deal. Not a recall, just an extended warranty. Not every machine will have the problem, but especially since the program is now coming to an end, it would be best to steer clear of the 06-08 4-bangers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Warranty Fix for High Oil Consumption Worked for My RAV!

Bought my 4 cyl. '07 Limited a year ago last June with 113k on it. Had no idea at the time there was an issue with oil burning, found out when I ran the VIN and saw that the service had just been done (Malvern Toyota, Malvern PA) before the car was sold. Has 129k on it now and it'll lose MAYBE an 1/8th of a quart between oil changes at 5,000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts