Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of greasable ball joints for 4.3 RAV4s? I found greasable sway/torsion bars but not ball joints.

Seems everything is sealed which ticks me off. Sealed is nice till it gets old, then extra grease never hurts.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
With motorcycles some owners drill and tap fittings which they think need to be greased and thread in zerks. Maybe the same can be done with a RAV, but one obviously needs to be careful of getting drilling and tapping debris into the joints.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With motorcycles some owners drill and tap fittings which they think need to be greased and thread in zerks. Maybe the same can be done with a RAV, but one obviously needs to be careful of getting drilling and tapping debris into the joints.

Thanks for the reply. I have taps and zerk fittings. It's just when you buy a new part its not exactly cool having to modify it. I'd rather try to find something designed with the grease fitting. If I screw up adding a fitting the new part is wrecked.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have taps and zerk fittings. It's just when you buy a new part its not exactly cool having to modify it. I'd rather try to find something designed with the grease fitting. If I screw up adding a fitting the new part is wrecked.

Back in the automotive Dark Ages when ball joints, etc. needed to be greased and I was a service station attendant and greased both cars and trucks, most of the fittings already had too much grease injected and that opened whatever seals there were. A result was that road debris, water, salt, etc.,. could get into the fitting and accelerate wear. Permanently greased, sealed fittings have largely eliminated that problem.

But if you feel that having grease-able fittings would be advantageous, hopefully you can find what you want.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in the automotive Dark Ages when ball joints, etc. needed to be greased and I was a service station attendant and greased both cars and trucks, most of the fittings already had too much grease injected and that opened whatever seals there were. A result was that road debris, water, salt, etc.,. could get into the fitting and accelerate wear. Permanently greased, sealed fittings have largely eliminated that problem.

But if you feel that having grease-able fittings would be advantageous, hopefully you can find what you want.
I understand the advantage of "sealed" fittings, but high quality greasable ones are best. I've used sealed and greasable spindles on lawn mowers where they're subjected to extreme wear and environmental contamination. Greasable components win hands down. Most heavy duty, industrial equipment uses greasable components for a reason. The Rav4 is a little light duty SUV so they apparently dont make heavy duty parts for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts