Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... here it is...
2015 toyota rav4 xle. In august, my car was dead and I replaced the battery same day. Reset the idle on it. Drove it for a few days. (Not sure if this next part is related).... started to notice shaking in vehicle when going 40-55mph/Around 1500 rpm. Vibration/rumble has a deep sound. Sounds like I'm going over rumbling strips. Rumble stops when I let off of gas. It continues if I dont let off of gas until I reach about 55mph. Doesnt matter if air is on or not. Doesnt matter if I'm in eco mode or any other mode. Doesnt matter if it is cold or hot outside or if I've been driving for a while.
In addition, I do hear a helicopter type sound from my tires. But this sound started recently and not initially when I first noticed the rumble. I am not experiencing any codes being thrown. No check engine light on. Rotors are fine. Breaks have been replaced and spark plugs have been changed in last month. Oil change completed. If i speed through 1500rpm fast, I dont get the sound. But if I'm in a normal driving speed, I will reach that rumble sound. Steering wheel isnt rumbling. I can mostly feel near feet or toward front of engine. It does not rumble in idle and does not hesitate to start. It mostly does it when driving straight . But sometimes itll do it when turning or going uphill . Have brought it to multiple places and asked multiple people. Toyota cant tell me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Could be transmission converter acting up. Check out this link where others have had problems with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read alot of posts about that. Seems similar but not exactly what I'm experiencing. Quick UPDATE:
had tires rebalance yesterday. Now the issue is happening less but IF it does happen, it happens at sporadic speeds but for alot shorter of a time than before. It's a blip of a shudder, and not a constant shudder like before. Could alignment cause this? Maybe issue with tire ? Everything I've had checked comes back fine. So in spinning in circles and keep starting at square one. The vehicle isnt over heating. No check engine light. No slipping of gears and everything seems ok. It's just a freakin rumble I cannot figure out. Help lol

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Did you try swapping the tires? Move your front passenger tire to the driver's side and vice versa. Do the same with your rear tires. Have you checked the CV joints as well?

Reactions: AugustineSurf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did swap the tires during the initial rumble. Swapping caused the same rumble but now I have a helicopter sound in front. But in all fairness, I did go too long before completing the rotation. So I assumed it was due to that (the helicopter sound) . The cv joints were checked during the balancing. Everything came back fine according to the techs.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Here's an oddball suggestion - try Scotty Kilmore's page. You might find a similar problem/discussion and solution if you don't get far on here. You could also email him with your RAV's symptoms.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
How about checking the tires for being 'out of round' - have you/they tried that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about checking the tires for being 'out of round' - have you/they tried that?
Yes they have checked. I'm so lost. I am trying to narrow down symptoms. I have read about u joints, improper balance, torque converters, transmission fluid being bad, carriage bearings, bent wheel, etc etc etc. It is doing everything that would relate it to any of those. I cant find one shop that can troubleshoot this

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Only other thing I got is to do a drain and refill on the tranny. You could have a new filter put in also; I'd have it done professionally as well. DO NOT DO A FLUSH!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only other thing I got is to do a drain and refill on the tranny. You could have a new filter put in also; I'd have it done professionally as well. DO NOT DO A FLUSH!!!

Oh awesome!! I'll schedule time at toyota this week to drain it. seems to be the only thing left to do. I'll keep updating to ensure that this may help someone else in the future too . Thank you Mikey!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Oh awesome!! I'll schedule time at toyota this week to drain it. seems to be the only thing left to do. I'll keep updating to ensure that this may help someone else in the future too . Thank you Mikey!
DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO A FLUSH SERVICE!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts