Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a 2016 Hybrid Limited that came with door sill protectors. They are not the applique that are paper thin but more like stainless protectors.

Not from this forum but from other makes and even the Tacoma forums, there seems to be some issue with moisture retention / trapped underneath these sill protectors. Of course, not everyone finds out because not everyone attempts to remove the sill protector a few years down the road to see what the underneath looks like.

Anyone know if the ones that come with RAV4 shouldn't be an issue down the road? This should be covered by the corrosion warranty, correct?

For most complaints, they are about protectors that are attached via tabs where the areas that accommodate the tabs trap water/moisture though I'm not sure if moisture will also be an issue with protectors using 3M double sided adhesives if it allows for breathability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have door sill protectors in my 2007 Solara with no problems with moisture. They are fine shape and provide good protection from scuff marks. These are an OEM product that I installed back in the day.
I also recently installed door sill protectors on my new 2016 Rav. They have two self adhesive strips so I do not see how moisture can get under the protector. I also installed the rear bumper protector, same set up with two adhesive strips one on top and the second along the downturned edge of the protector.
Hope this helps alleys your concerns. They look good and protector those areas from marks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. I installed a pair on our 11 Accord coupe a few weeks ago and then read about the issues. I guess as long as the surfaces underneath the sill protectors are painted and are rust-free, it should be good. Women's shoes seem to cause the most damage to the sill area.

Our 16 RAV4 Hybrid Limited did come with puny sill protectors that don't reach out to the edge but because the RAV4 floor isn't too high up above the ground, we all (except our 2 year old) can step directly onto the floor without having to step on the sill or the step up platform (which I think the car has -- my wife drives the car so I haven't paid much attention).

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
On my 4.3 RAV4, the thick black plastic sill covers were just pressed in, NOT glued. I don't think the 4.4 has those perforations in the door sills.

Small dirt/sand particles would somehow end up under the sill covers..
I found out that those particles rubbed against the painted surface and caused surface rust to start.
It was worse at the back where my kids actually step on the sill covers. But ever the fronts had similar issue because of the sand particles would scratch the paint while the car vibrates when it moves.

I painted the door sills, applied 3M scothguard transparent film and sprayed some antirust grease under it as an added protection.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Good point. I think I should have thought more about potential issues before installing them on the Accord. Maybe a transparent 3M duct tape would have suffice (which I also have, lol, at least with that I can see what's happening underneath).

With the RAV4, I'll pay attention to how family members climb up the vehicle but they cover such a small area that I doubt people will intentional step on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts