Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for anyone that makes a lift kit for the new rav4. i have found kits for the older ones but not any for the new ones yet? any help? and any ideas on troubles i might run into getting it off the ground a lil more. i live in Oregon and lots of fun off road and snow in the winter. but i like the gas milage on the rav4 and most every thing else about them too. i drive about 35 miles one way to work each day.

thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
ser02rav4 said:
ARB OEM 40 mm lift kit.
All well and good - OME lift kits work great in my experience, but is it available for the '06?

What else would be required, or is the kit all-inclusive? New brake hoses? Sway bar spacers? That sort of thing...

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well, here it is, right from the horse's mouth (ARB-USA, the OME distributor):

"Our suspension for the Rav 4 is only for up to 2004 models. Toyota has made some changes to the models, which changed the suspension, and we don't currently offer suspension to suit the 2005 or 2006 models. Currently it hasn't been planned that we will be making suspension for the newer models as of yet."

So I guess we will have to wait to see what develops. I will be VERY surprised if Old Man Emu doesn't offer a kit in the future.

John Davies
Spokane WA

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Body lifting kit

John E Davies said:
Well, here it is, right from the horse's mouth (ARB-USA, the OME distributor):

"Our suspension for the Rav 4 is only for up to 2004 models. Toyota has made some changes to the models, which changed the suspension, and we don't currently offer suspension to suit the 2005 or 2006 models. Currently it hasn't been planned that we will be making suspension for the newer models as of yet."

So I guess we will have to wait to see what develops. I will be VERY surprised if Old Man Emu doesn't offer a kit in the future.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Hi all,

by accident I found this very useful US based forum and would like to first of all introduce myself. Since May this year I own a RAV 4 EXE D4D CAT Diesel.

BTW, if you find any grammar faults or misspelling - yes I am from West- Germany and try hard.

I wonder if someone could help me out with updated info on the subject for body lift kits (from OME ?). To be honest, I am not only looking for body lift - much more I want to increase the total clearance between the street and the car.

CU on Oct.16'th in WV 8)

Bowhuntin Ed'

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Re: Body lifting kit

Bowhunting Ed' said:
I wonder if someone could help me out with updated info on the subject for body lift kits (from OME ?). To be honest, I am not only looking for body lift - much more I want to increase the total clearance between the street and the car.'
Welcome to the forum!

The OME kit is a suspension lift - basically taller springs and struts. There may some brackets and possibly longer brake hoses involved, but I'm guessing. It will raise the entire vehicle about 40 mm, if it is like the older versions.

Here is a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.arbusa.com/old_man_emu_suspension.htm

And you can order a catalog here:

http://www.arbusa.com/hocris_data/int_cat_req.htm

You cannot do a body lift on a uni-body vehicle like the RAV4. There is no way to seperate the body structure from the chassis and suspension.

With the vehicle raised up you might be able to also fit some taller tires for a little better ground clearance under the low points. I have no idea what will fit, but lifting the suspension 40 mm will give you that much extra room for experimenting. If taller tires contact the fenders, you can install rubber bump stops on the suspension strut shafts (shock absorbers) to prevent that, at the expense of a little bit of travel.

Going to North Africa? Deep sand? You had better get some under body protection. Read this thread:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5008

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
North Africa

Before anyone goes to North Africa, or even Fire Island and deep sand, they should read some of the comments here about people stuck on the beach. This thing is not a real off road truck and the lack of a low range and the "Mother Toyota" VSC and tracton control will get you stuck for sure. Take lots of water and a good radio so you can call the rescue corps.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Re: North Africa

JIMD4 said:
Before anyone goes to North Africa, or even Fire Island and deep sand, they should read some of the comments here about people stuck on the beach. This thing is not a real off road truck and the lack of a low range and the "Mother Toyota" VSC and tracton control will get you stuck for sure. Take lots of water and a good radio so you can call the rescue corps.[/quote

I didn't make a smilar comment to the original poster, because I assumed that he was aware that his RAV4 isn't designed to go offroad. There are certainly a bunch of more capable Toyotas to choose from if one wanted to cruise Morocco.

However, I do think a 2 inch lift and some larger, more aggressive tires would look great on this trucklet and increase its versatility on marginal forest roads and easy doubletracks when you encounter a water bar or deep rut that would normally scrape the undercarriage or tear off the rear bumper.

I'm still waiting for an easy fix to selectively switch off some of the electronic traction "aids".

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
deep sand

I am doubtful that the RAV4 has the low end torgue to do much in deep sand even if VSC etc was off. These engines are high RPM torque point engines as I see it and witout low gears there is no way to get enough RPM going from a stop to get much torque

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of you guys contact Roger Brown, 4Crawler.com and he can probably make a bodylift for the Rav4 as long as you take the measurements and etc...

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
grimpy said:
One of you guys contact Roger Brown, 4Crawler.com and he can probably make a bodylift for the Rav4 as long as you take the measurements and etc...
Body lifts won't work on the 4.3, the frame is part of the body as John pointed out!

Tim

·
Registered
420 Posts
A follow-up question:

I know someone who has a Tacoma (the old narrow one - think 2001 model year). He has it lifted somewhat, so I always assumed he had different springs in front. As it turned out, he has a spring spacer.

So, does anyone know if it's possible to find a set of suitable spacers outside of a kit, and if this is a good idea to use them? Tacoma has a double wishbone in front, so the base of the spring does not turn with the steering. But RAV4.3 has a MacPherson strut. Dunno if that makes a difference, but still.

-- Pete

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I (again) emailed ARB-USA in Seattle, the Old Man Emu importer, and asked what the staus is on a lift kit for the late model trucklets. He replied that there were no known plans to make a kit.

Maybe if we flood them with requests, they will forward the idea to the head guys in Australia that there is indeed a market for a lift kit or seperate components. Here's a corporate link - you can use the "Contact Us" tab to locate the email info for whatever continent you live on.

http://www.arb.com.au/

I plan to keep bugging them regularly. maybe they will get the hint....

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think ARB will be quite busy for a while with the FJ cruiser parts and Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol etc.... the RAV4 is not their core market... they are into developing proper 4wd stuff...

Yes I know that they also produce kits for our type of vehicles, but the volume for lift kits would be quite a bit higher for "real" 4wd's...

you could try a spring spacer...
</img>

these come in various sizes (15, 25 and 40mm)

with the largest size and some bigger rubber, you can possibly gain an extra 2" of lift!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
AussieRAVer said:
you could try a spring spacer...

these come in various sizes (15, 25 and 40mm)

with the largest size and some bigger rubber, you can possibly gain an extra 2" of lift!!!
Those are a band aid fix at best, and they are just adequate for levelling a tilted rig. Big Land Cruisers often have one low corner and will benefit from a small spacer under that spring.

The problem with shimming up all the springs 1.5 inches (40 mm) is that you have now LOST 1.5 inches of travel, and you have also increased the ride stiffness by compressing the spring way past the normal ride height.

A properly engineered Old Man Emu lift would include 2 inch longer struts and matching springs, and you would GAIN 2 extra inches of travel.

Total travel difference between the two options : 3.5 inches. That is a major figure IMHO. OTH, if you are just interested in looks, then go for it. Just don't travel off pavement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts