Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the front discs on my 2010 rav4 (4cyl) and I am starting to notice some vibration when braking (warped rotors). Probably from towing a "couch" in hill country to get to the lakes here in Kentucky. Most likely will be replacing the brakes as well for a better braking feel.

I have seen some on some brake sites as well as tirerack.com.

Any thoughts?

/"couch" = three seater Personal Water Craft :D
//over 132k miles and still going
///slashies in threes

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Why? It's not a 600 HP Corvette you use for track days. Just get regular rotors & brake parts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
unless you're towing. rotors are a consumable, but last a long time - why not go for better

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've found that doing the proper brake in per this site:

Bedding In Brake Rotors

Completely avoids warped rotors. I had recurring problems with rotors, even after replacing them, on our '98 Sienna until I performed this break in procedure. Make sure you have plenty of room, the brakes will get hot, smoky and stinky and in the case of the Sienna will fade badly after about the 3rd hard stop, requiring more space. So far on our Rav I have not replaced any of the rotors, so I'm not sure how bad its brakes will fade. My daughter's Honda Civic didn't fade much at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don't need cryo treated rotors. Instead invest in rotors with better design of the cooling vanes. Stay away from cross-drilled rotors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We had a set of Stoptech Sport Slotted Cryo rotors. We replaced them before they were worn out with Centric Plain 120 Series Cyro rotors because we did not like the slight noise/vibration from the slots. The Stoptech did seem to stop a little better, but that was probably because of the better cooling vanes keeping them cooler. I don't have any direct evidence to show that Cryo rotors are better than normal rotors, but I don't believe the stock rotors would have held up as well under the extreme braking we put the Stoptech's through. Stock, our Rav accelerated and stopped better than my 1984 Camaro Z28 did, and that performance is why we bought two of them. We are very happy with the upgraded brakes in my 2007 and my wife cannot wait for us to upgrade her 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have nothing but praise for the slotted and cross drilled rotors on my 1 ton diesel pickup. Living in Houston we get some pretty heavy rains and flooded streets, the slotted/cross drilled rotors work much better than the oem solid rotors in this environment. They help prevent the brake pads from hydroplaning over the rotor surface. They seem to hold up well under hot and heavy braking too. The one down side is they do make a quiet 'buzz' noise when you get on the brakes and if you pay attention you can feel it in the pedal, but it doesn't bother me. That said I would probably get slotted and dimpled today as they handle heat a little bit better.

Haven't replaced the rotors on my RAV4 but plan to do something similar when they need replacing.

I've had good results with rotors from http://brakeperformance.com, they make several different versions (solid, slotted, dimpled, cross drilled, or combo) of rotors for just about every car ever built with disk brakes and offer lifetime no warp warranties.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts