Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a local TV news report last night that highlighted some owners of newer cars having problems with mice, etc. chewing through various parts of their wiring harnesses. One specifically was a Toyota.

The reporter said the problem is the use of plant-based materials for the wires' coverings. One picture showed chew-through of the black convolute tubing, then through the wires' insulators.

Do our 4.1s use these "food" materials too? Has anyone had such occur to your 4.1 (and you didn't have regular food in the car attracting the vermin)?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks -- I don't see any that are posted in our 4.1 groups or mentions 4.1s. So maybe we are safe!

Elsewhere I had read that rodents also chew on wiring to wear-down/sharpen their always-growing teeth. And that soy is the base being used in the new, problematic wiring harness materials that might rodents actually eat.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Seems that I recall that the chewed wire problem has been with later model RAVs so hopefully you're safe. Some time ago I read a report that Ford is/was using soy-based foam padding for its seating - wondering whether they have had any problems with rodents consuming that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rodents can damage cars and motorized equipment, bicycles, electrical systems, and property. Before you go and search for a professional mice control expert, consider doing the following steps first as they are also effective as mice control methods like Inspect the car for any mice infiltration and assess the damage which they might have done, schedule a general cleaning. If these above-mentioned steps do not help you then it is time to ask a professional exterminator like CT pest exterminators, Exterminator Branford CT, Exterminator Brookfield CT(yalepest.com/brookfield-pest-exterminators/), Exterminator Cheshire CT for help before the mice totally damage your car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use the hanging Moth cakes in my garage. you can get them with little or no orders. Also you can use mice bate but then you need to find and remove the bodies. In the car if you don't mind the oder use moth balls (1-2) under the seats and under the hood.

Ken

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the hanging Moth cakes in my garage. you can get them with little or no orders. Also you can use mice bate but then you need to find and remove the bodies. In the car if you don't mind the oder use moth balls (1-2) under the seats and under the hood.

Ken
I had problems with mice under the hood on one of my cars. Put several moth balls around the engine compartment, and problem solved. Kept them away from air intake. Never smelling it in the passenger compartment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts